My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/...mmad-Day-rages

On Facebook, a fight over 'Everybody Draw Mohammad Day' rages

Facebook is no stranger to protests. But the protest that ripped through Facebook today may be the strangest – and the most pitched – to date. Here's a primer: Last month, under fire from Muslim groups in the US and abroad, the television network Comedy Central agreed to censor an episode of South Park that showed the Prophet Mohammad in a bear suit.

.That didn't sit well with the Seattle-based artist Molly Norris, who created a cartoon lampooning Comedy Central's decision. Norris's cartoon features a fake poster declaring May 20th "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day." Norris insists she was not actually calling for a "Draw Mohammad Day," but within a few days, a few folks had taken up the cause, and created a Facebook group called – you guessed it – "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day."

The blowback was quick and furious. Norris was bombarded with angry messages; eventually, she posted a disclaimer on her personal site. "I am horrified! My one-off cartoon that was specifically about Comedy Central's behavior.... is not good for a long-term plan," she wrote. "The results have shown to be vitriolic and worse, offensive to Muslims who had nothing to do with the censorship issue I was inspired to draw about in the first place."

Norris encouraged the founders of the Facebook group to cancel the compe ion immediately.

Her words did little to quell anger. According to the Associated Press, a group of Islamic lawyers today won a court order requiring officials in Pakistan to block access to Facebook until May 31. Meanwhile, thousands of protesters flocked to the streets of Karachi, carrying placards denouncing both Facebook and the proposed "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day."

Of course, this being 2010, much of the fighting over the proposed event has been conducted on the Web – and more specifically, on Facebook. Two groups – one en led "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day" and other called "Protest Against Draw Mohammad Day" – each have attracted thousands of fans.

By Wednesday afternoon, the tone of the comments on both group pages had grown so acidic that many users called for Facebook to take action. "Let us all unite against these elements that spread hatred and disrespect in the world. Let's report such pages and groups as abuse, that’s the least we can do to promote love and peace," one user wrote on the "Protest Against Draw Mohammad Day" page.
    --------------------------

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Molly Norris actually draw Mohammed?

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All the other religions have had to put up with teasing and satire, but Islam seems to think it's got a free pass. Maybe it really is time people stand united and pop Islam's self-importance cherry?

I'm going to laugh when we all die and realize the Mormons were praying to the right God. That's gonna be ing hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who has drawn Mohammed and taken personal credit for it?
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 05-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    LOL@"Everybody Draw Mohammad Day."

What stinks?
    My Team
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Post Count
    so Molly lampoons comedy central for tucking their tail between their legs, then proceeds to do the same thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to laugh when we all die
    I tried so hard to find an animated gif of Vizzini falling over laughing after being poisoned by the dread pirate roberts, but failed to find it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to laugh when we all die and realize the Mormons were praying to the right God. That's gonna be ing hilarious.
    We're all Gods according to them -- they'll just be better Gods than we will be. If you are related to a Mormon, you're probably penciled in for a slightly higher Godship than regular schmos -- they got your back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what I really want to do is go to "against everybody draw mohammed day" and ask for a picture of mohammed, contemporary to his time, which I can use to draw mohammed. When one cant be produced, I would ask why, then, are they so mad, when no one knows WTF he looks like and can therefore NOT draw mohammed.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Winner, IMHO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AlterNet

Christian Right Group Tries to Kill Comedy Central Show About Jesus

By Stephen Tomkins, Comment Is Free

Posted on June 11, 2010, Printed on June 11, 2010
    http://www.alternet.org/story/147148/

A new organization has been formed by the US religious right to attack a program that hasn't yet reached pilot stage. JC, a Comedy Central cartoon about Jesus trying to live a normal life in New York, does not have a completed script, but Citizens Against Religious Bigotry (Carb) are calling on advertisers to force the channel to abort it.

Carb, starchier than your average lobbyists, are particularly exercised by the contrast with the way Comedy Central backed down on airing scenes involving Muhammad in South Park, fearing violence. "Does that indicate that Christians then are punished because they aren't crazy?" asked the talk show host and Carb Michael Medved.

So censorship goes pre-emptive, a TV show doesn't even have to be made in order to offend, and the duty to protect the unborn has no relevance to works of creativity. I suppose it's not so big a leap as all that to banning things that don't exist yet for those who devote their careers to banning things they haven't seen.

Religion is all about mystery, and nothing is so mysterious as the minds of the professionally offended. One mystery is what kind of God they serve.

He is said to be Almighty, and yet desperately needs sticking up for. His emotional maturity is not the subject of any creeds but surely something you would assume of the perfect source of all being, if it weren't for his total inability to take any joke featuring himself (or sex for that matter). He tells his followers to turn the other cheek if they are assaulted themselves, but if people make fun of him expects his followers to hit them where it hurts.

The Bible gives us rather conflicting impressions of God's at udes to this kind of thing, but none of them fit very well with the God of Carb. There's the God of Moses and his successors, pockets full of locusts, boils and thunderbolts, just itching to strike down blasphemers, including those who touch the ark of the covenant to stop it from falling. Sure, this sounds very religious right, but if he really has such an arsenal at hand and the petulance to use it at the drop of an ark, does he really need or want charcoal-suited lobbyists fighting his battles for him by attacking the forces of darkness's advertising revenue?

The Bible also gives us the rather different example of Jesus, the well-known homeless, penniless preacher, who submitted to humiliation and mockery rather more savage than anything Comedy Central might deliver, and who told his followers that their at ude should be the same as his. He told them not to fight back when their faith was attacked and ridiculed, but to count it a blessing.

The letters of St Paul repeatedly point out that the way for believers to stop others blaspheming is not to deserve it. But the humility, gentleness and self-awareness of the New Testament can seem more Christ-like than Christian.

If God has little need of protection from hurt feelings or dented pride, there remains the mystery of whose pride campaigners are defending, and the obvious answer would seem to be their own. Blasphemy dents their sense of honor, by insulting their religion, and what Christians call serving God could often be called self-serving.

Do you know who was the first person in Christian history to be executed for blasphemy? Jesus. "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?" says the high priest at Jesus's trial according in Mark's gospel. "They all condemned him as deserving to die."

It is a point that ought to give pause to Christians who use their collective muscle to stop people offending against the faith. The defense of God is a tradition we can trace back from the post-Christian west through inquisitions and councils to the gospels, and when we get there Jesus is not on the side that some of us might have assumed.

Carb, as Medved would doubtless want to point out, do not want to kill anyone. But they want to silence creativity before it has had a chance to create, which is a pretty lousy way to behave.

View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/147148/

Thread Information