Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lord knows we have enough practice, those of us who even bother.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Darrin probably thought he was yanking somebody's pigtails but he was just yanking off. We can have a conversation in spite of that.
    Fair enough.

In that case though, it truly does look like the policies and practices that are in place today are essentially the same as those under Bush, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the criminal, as opposed to the non-criminal, illegal alien deportations.

The more realistic thing to me is that none of these deportation numbers, under either Bush or Obama, whether criminal or non-criminal, are going to make any kind of dent in illegal immigration levels. I don't really think that Bush was any more eager to try to get rid of illegal aliens than is Obama.

Because Bush understood how critical they are to the economies of the Southwest U.S.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And before someone jumps down my throat...I do realize that any undo ented alien is, per se, a criminal at some level. What I meant by criminal vs. non-criminal refers to criminality beyond one's status as an illegal or legal alien.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone here suppose that folks remember that the last President to sign an amnesty law for illegal aliens was Ronald Reagan, in 1983?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, Reagan was another Republican President from a a border state who understood the importance of the low-wage illegal alien workforce to the economies of the southwest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone wonder why nothing about this issue was done during the 12 years of Republican dominance of Congress during the last 6 years of Clinton and the first 6 years of Bush?

Maybe that is because Republican lawmakers understood the business implications of the low wage workforce represented by the illegal alien population.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone notice in today's Express News that the Irish are now trying to get support for some kind of work-for-citizenship or amnesty plan? I think that they mentioned that about 50,000 of the illegal aliens in the U.S. are Irish.

Who knew?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Does anyone here suppose that folks remember that the last President to sign an amnesty law for illegal aliens was Ronald Reagan, in 1983?
    Yes, and that is why we are all so resistant to amnesty today. Part of that deal to get amnesty granted included enforcements, increased border control, etc. that was never done. I think it included building more fencing also not done. All it did was open the floodgate.

Fool us one...

Fool us twice...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Does anyone wonder why nothing about this issue was done during the 12 years of Republican dominance of Congress during the last 6 years of Clinton and the first 6 years of Bush?

Maybe that is because Republican lawmakers understood the business implications of the low wage workforce represented by the illegal alien population.
    Haven't you ever notice when republicans do try to do something, they are called racists?

If they did get something done, would Clinton have signed it or vetoed it?

Assume all you want. Just remember, there are other possibilities. Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me. Just the weak-minded lib s here.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Did anyone notice in today's Express News that the Irish are now trying to get support for some kind of work-for-citizenship or amnesty plan? I think that they mentioned that about 50,000 of the illegal aliens in the U.S. are Irish.

Who knew?
    Anyone who stays informed know that there are other large groups of illegal people here who do not have brown skin.

I knew. Why didn't you? We also have very large groups of Russians. I am aware of quite a few Ukrainians in my area.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they did get something done, would Clinton have signed it or vetoed it?
    Ok, how about 2001-2007?

Republicans had full control of the federal government. What did they do about illegal immigration then?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Ok, how about 2001-2007?

Republicans had full control of the federal government. What did they do about illegal immigration then?
    Haven't you ever notice when republicans do try to do something [about immigration reform], they are called racists?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what did they do from the years 2001-2007?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I guess being called names absolves you from actually doing anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    deporting doesn't work because

1. you can't deport 11M people, unless you go Nazi and use cattle cars.

2. with the borders remaining porous, they come right back (if they want to), having tasted a probably better life in US vs home country.
    Every now and then you manage to make sense boutons. Fix #2 by securing the borders (an effective guest worker program is essential for that) and then provide a path to citizenship for the 11M.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So what did they do from the years 2001-2007?
    Sorry if you don't remember the discussions. I'm not wasting my time there. I'll say this. It went no where because too many wanted Amnesty included. Amnesty killed the reform that was being debated.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I guess being called names absolves you from actually doing anything.
    You know there was more than that. I'm not going to try to recall everything from a few years back.

I want to know why the fence isn't being finished.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, Reagan was another Republican President from a a border state who understood the importance of the low-wage illegal alien workforce to the economies of the southwest.
    I thought Reagan's amnesty was limited to Cubans (fleeing Castro) who landed on American soil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry if you don't remember the discussions. I'm not wasting my time there. I'll say this. It went no where because too many wanted Amnesty included. Amnesty killed the reform that was being debated.
    So why would anyone be against an illegal paying fines and back taxes in order to apply for citizenship?

Isn't money pretty much the biggest folks have about the immigrants?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough.

In that case though, it truly does look like the policies and practices that are in place today are essentially the same as those under Bush, with perhaps a bit more emphasis on the criminal, as opposed to the non-criminal, illegal alien deportations.
    Agreed. Continuity, not change, is the motif.

The more realistic thing to me is that none of these deportation numbers, under either Bush or Obama, whether criminal or non-criminal, are going to make any kind of dent in illegal immigration levels. I don't really think that Bush was any more eager to try to get rid of illegal aliens than is Obama.
    Damn skippy. That was the last comprehensive immigration reform proposed in the USA. GWB's own party deep sixed it.

Because Bush understood how critical they are to the economies of the Southwest U.S.
    Yeah. People without direct contact don't really understand how hard a Mexican works in this country, the great variety of necessary work performed, and what a boon it is to capitalism that so many people are willing to work so hard, for so little.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 05-23-2010 at 04:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But for *them* it's a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only *we* were so grateful for remunerative opportunity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When this thing in Arizona happened Rick Perry didn't denounce it, but he did say in a loud clear voice that it isn't for Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one of the very, very few things Rick Perry has ever said that makes me proud to be a Texan. It might even be the only one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew. Why didn't you? We also have very large groups of Russians. I am aware of quite a few Ukrainians in my area.
    Chicago can sympathize with that, I reckon.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 05-23-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: link provided

Thread Information