Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    well there are only 4 possible answers:
    1) They did not do it (they were framed)
    2) It was a up by the sub and they don't want to recognize
    3) They thought it was a good idea at the time
    4) It is all within the plan to with the world's head and get national support

I will go with #2
    If you are right about number 2, why not say "I'm sorry" and move on? You might be right. I just don't get it. It's not like S Korea is going to start WW3 because of a accident.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I still don't get why N. Korea would deny sinking the ship.
    Because it would and should be viewed by S.Korea and the entire world as an act of war.

A war China and the US do not want to fight through their openly admitted proxies.

The Korean pennisula is about as self-determinate as an infant child. They have parents to answer to and it seems for now, the parents arent interested in fighting one another.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Because it would and should be viewed by S.Korea and the entire world as an act of war..
    A accident followed up by an apology would be a act of war, I don't think so.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    A accident followed up by an apology would be a act of war, I don't think so.
    First, youd have to assume it was an accident.

It was not an accident. No capable Navy accidently torpedos another craft.

It was an attack, plain and simple. If NK admits it was them, then they have to explain why they did it. Since they cannot logically do so, theyd have cornered themselves.

Better to just deny your involvment and "promote" the sailors who sunk the ship.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    If they want a war then go to war. This BS of denial will not lead to a war, let alone world war 3.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    We are talking about one ship. They said they didn't do it.

Shame on me for thinking you didn't do this on purpose, shame on you for trying to pull that bull again.

I honestly just don't get this whole thing.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are right about number 2, why not say "I'm sorry" and move on? You might be right. I just don't get it. It's not like S Korea is going to start WW3 because of a accident.
    Kim Jong Il is insane. there is no ryme or reason to what he does and why. He has proven that since taking over in 1994.

I saw a comment on one of the CNN articles that makes some sense to me.

The comment went along the lines of N Korea attacks the ship and denies it hoping to get America or S Korea to take the first real act of agression so they can play the victim role and give China the opportunity to jump in on their side.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Kim Jong Il is insane. there is no ryme or reason to what he does and why. He has proven that since taking over in 1994.
    True, which is why WW3 will not start over this incident.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, which is why WW3 will not start over this incident.
    I dont think WW3 will start over this, but I wouldnt be suprised if A war is started. Im of the opposite line of thinking than you on this.

We both agree he is insane.

We all know he has nuclear weapons.

You want to ignore him.

I want a bullet in his head before he thinks about pushing the button.

The fact that he awarded medals to the crew that launched the torpedo is evidence enough on its own that this wasnt an accident.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The fact that he awarded medals to the crew that launched the torpedo is evidence enough on its own that this wasnt an accident.
    What are you talking about. They said it was not them.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plain and simple, South Korea does not want to fight North Korea because they're family. it's like East Germany and West Germany. they won't fight unless pushed by the US and China to do so.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and the best strategical move for South Korea to take next would be to secretly ship a trainload full of Starcraft games from Seoul to Pyongyang. it would implode the social structure of North Korea.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the ROK army would crush North Korea. Plus, China exports more to South Korea for $$$$$......all North Korea is to China is a burden.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli jet fighter planes and motor torpedo boats, on June 8, 1967, during the ongoing Six-Day War. The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two Marines, and a civilian), wounded 171 crew members, and severely damaged the ship. At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, about 25.5 nmi (29.3 mi; 47.2 km) northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.[1]

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli jet fighter planes and motor torpedo boats, on June 8, 1967, during the ongoing Six-Day War. The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two Marines, and a civilian), wounded 171 crew members, and severely damaged the ship. At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, about 25.5 nmi (29.3 mi; 47.2 km) northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.[1]
    And?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

for dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This discussion is in the lol israel thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yah morons I was responding to this:

"Both the Israeli and U.S, governments conducted inquiries[2] into the incident, and issued reports, which concluded that the attack was a mistake"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are talking about one ship. [North Korea] said they didn't do it.

I never thought I would ever see anybody assign credibility to North Korean goverment statements.

Nobody is that stupid.

... or are they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I saw a comment on one of the CNN articles that makes some sense to me.

The comment went along the lines of N Korea attacks the ship and denies it hoping to get America or S Korea to take the first real act of agression so they can play the victim role and give China the opportunity to jump in on their side.
    I would tend to agree with that.

He may be overestimating China's willingness to stand by his dumb ass. They will keep him from being outright attacked, but he is making them lose face, just as they lost face when he launched all of those missles without telling them.

I think he is rapidly using up his political capital in Beijing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    South Korea loses track of North's subs

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...26/2910229.htm
    By North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy

Updated 5 hours 38 minutes ago

A South Korean submarine is believed to have been sunk by a torpedo (Reuters: Jung Yeon-je)

North Korea cuts ties with South
    North Korea to cut all relations with South
    South Korea takes action over warship sinking South Korea's military is trying to find four North Korean submarines that have disappeared from tracking screens in the East Sea.

Tensions are running high on the Korean peninsula after Pyongyang was blamed for sinking a South Korean warship.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency has quoted an unnamed military official as saying that four North Korean submarines have vanished from their screens.

The 300-tonne Sang-O class submarines are part of Pyongyang's 40-strong fleet.

They disappeared after leaving their base in the country's north-east two days ago.

The South Korean and United States militaries are preparing to hold anti-submarine drills near the site of the sinking of the Cheonan.

The 1,200-tonne corvette Cheonan sank in the Yellow Sea on March 26, leaving 40 sailors confirmed dead and six still unaccounted for.

It is believed to have been sunk by a torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine.

Earlier this week the South announced a series of measures against Pyongyang over the sinking.

South Korea said it would cut trade ties, vowed to take North Korea to the UN Security Council and pledged to undertake joint military exercises with the United States.

North Korea's official news agency says the country is severing all relations with the South and cutting communication links with Seoul.

Meanwhile, United States secretary of state Hillary Clinton says South Korea has America's full support in dealing with Pyongyang.

Ms Clinton was in Seoul to meet president Lee Myung-Bak to discuss possible responses to the sinking of the warship.

She says the international community has a duty to respond to the torpedo attack.

"We will be working together to chart a course of action in the United Nations Security Council," she said.

"We call on North Korea to halt its provocations, end its policy of threats and belligerence towards its neighbours and take steps now to fulfil its denuclearisation commitments and comply with international law."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uhoh, look who crashed the party....

Russia To Hold Major Naval Exercises Off Korean Coast
    http://www.rferl.org/content/Russia_...t/2054615.html
    May 27, 2010
    Russia today said it will go ahead with plans to hold naval exercises near North Korea in June despite rising tensions between the two Koreas.

The exercises were planned before a report of international investigators last week found North Korea responsible for the March sinking of a South Korean warship, in which 46 sailors died.

Russia maintains ties with North Korea.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Igor Lyakin-Frolov today said that Moscow needs "100 percent proof" that North Korea sank the ship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For any interested, here is a copy of OPLAN 5027 and its subsequent variants.

Pyongyang has the ability to start a new Korean War, but not to survive one.

Thread Information