Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soooo after we are out of debt, *then* we raise taxes?
    Taxes will be raised again. I never implied they should be or that's my plan.

How about we raise taxes and keep them higher until we are pretty much out of debt, then scale back taxes as the interest charges drop?
    How about we eliminate every single other unnecessary expense from government spending first? Congress and the Senate could set up and vote on a committee, of non-representatives and non-senators, with that ability. I'm oversimplifying, of course.

I just don't see why the government can spend and borrow unconditionally while bailing out private en ies with ungodly sums of public money, then turn around and raise taxes. It's unjust and I can't support it.

Government debt is not all bad, as US Treasuries offer a rather valuable commodity: risk-free assets that earn some return, so I don't think getting rid of US government debt is an entirely good thing.
    Yes, being in debt you can actually pay off, and within a reasonable timeframe is fine. No ideas for decreasing the debt substantially or entirely exist that have any political merit all things considered, and a timeframe? LMAO. With the way parties go back and forth in popularity in this country, and both loving to spend spend spend $$$$$, it won't be long before that saved money in the bank is worth nada and our national debt is tens of trillions..
    Last edited by z0sa; 06-08-2010 at 02:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the magnitude of US debt plus unfunded liabilities, I doubt we can afford the principle. In order to get out of debt we'll have to slash spending and raise taxes, in spite of what this means for our standard of living.
    When does it ever stop, man? The future of the young worker is bleak. No jobs, high taxes, tons of compe ion.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When does it ever stop, man?
    When we slash spending, raise taxes and get out of debt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When we slash spending, raise taxes and get out of debt.
    When's that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all likelihood, not until we're totally ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you never want to do that because it's too hard (or against your principles).

That's the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you never want to do that because it's too hard (or against your principles).

That's the problem.
    Yeah, it's definitely against my principles to run up debt on someone else's bill then charge them extra for it like it's their fault. Hopefully it's against yours too, no matter how necessary the impending tax increase shall be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all likelihood, not until we're totally ed.
    At least show me some progress. Slash spending substantially before taxes are raised and maybe I wouldn't feel so hesitant trusting the best government money can buy.
    Last edited by z0sa; 06-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's definitely against my principles to run up debt on someone else's bill then charge them extra for it like it's their fault. Hopefully it's against yours too, no matter how necessary the impending tax increase shall be.
    It is all our faults. No one wants to accept any responsibility, including you.

That's the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is all our faults. No one wants to accept any responsibility, including you.

That's the problem.
    What am I responsible for in

a) driving down our national debt and

b) slashing government spending?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What am I responsible for in

a) driving down our national debt and

b) slashing government spending?
    Do you vote?

As far as I'm concerned we've been living off the largess of government spending for at least three generations. It's time to pay. Sucks to be us, but if we're serious about it, that's what needs to be done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being only 21 years old, I don't see how I could have changed, or should be blamed, for transgressions snowballing over decades OR held accountable for our stupid two party system, but yes I do.

As far as I'm concerned we've been living off the largess of government
    Maybe you have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It ain't fair, z. But who said life was fair?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It ain't fair, indeed. When do I get my bailout?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being only 21 years old, I don't see how I could have changed, or should be blamed, for transgressions snowballing over decades OR held accountable for our stupid two party system, but yes I do.
    You're responsible. , even by not voting you'd be responsible. We all are responsible.

Maybe you have.
    As have you.

The problem now is that most people think like you. You don't really want to fix anything if it cuts into what you perceive should be your future lifestyle.

That's fine, just don't complain when things get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're responsible.
    In the tiniest, most miniscule, 1 out of 310 million people and a young one at that, who didn't vote in most of the men and women who put us in this predicament type of way, perhaps I am.

As have you.
    Give some examples.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the tiniest, most miniscule, 1 out of 310 million people and a young one at that, who didn't vote in most of the men and women who put us in this predicament type of way, perhaps I am.
    Yep.

Give some examples.
    Have you lived in the US?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem now is that most people think like you. You don't really want to fix anything if it cuts into what you perceive should be your future lifestyle.
    Yep. Don't want to fix anything, they just want it fixed. "They" meaning America ( yeah).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what, specifically, am I at fault for?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not at fault for dude. There, feel better? Is your economic future any brighter?

WH, whenever we discuss this situation just realize that I feel that the vast majority of Americans are Zosas. Maybe then my comments come more into context.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not at fault for dude. There, feel better? Is your economic future any brighter?
    I'm not the one who ever pointed fingers. I didn't say it's anyone's fault. I didn't blame the left or the right. I said the government itself, needs limiting factors placed on itself.

Sorry you're so mad at yourself for no reason and I refuse to blame myself for corrupt politicians' actions.

WH, whenever we discuss this situation just realize that I feel that the vast majority of Americans are Zosas. Maybe then my comments come more into context.
    The vast majority of Americans are z0sas? "Critical thinkers never over-generalize."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what, specifically, am I at fault for?
    Living off the overall benefits of deficit spending.

It's been a great ride, hasn't it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Living off the overall benefits of deficit spending.
    This is not a direct democracy, Chump. We have little control over federal and state spending from an individual level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the politicians make the laws, or the people? This is not a direct democracy, Chump.
    No .

Don't worry z0sa, enough people feel the same way you do so nothing will actually change. Thirty years or so down the road, your kid can act all indignant and superior because you didn't do about it either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why are you having so much difficulty understanding that the American populace didn't make these decisions for themselves?

Blaming every American, whether they vote or not, whether old or young, for choices they didn't make is senseless.

Thread Information