Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

After analyzing the most recent data from two of America’s largest electricity markets — ERCOT in Texas and PJM in the Northeast — the Rocky Mountain Ins ute has come to a startling conclusion. Renewables are muscling in on natural gas as the preferred choice for new electricity generation. In fact, according to RMI, what happened to coal is now happening to gas. What is needed, the organization argues, is a move away from the monopoly markets that have been the norm in the utility industry for more than 100 years and toward more open compe ion. Because when renewables compete head to head with thermal generation, they win hands down 95% of the time.
    https://cleantechnica.com/2020/10/03...s-to-the-curb/

In these two regions, investors finance projects based on expected returns in the compe ive market — not based on expectations of cost recovery allowed by regulators of monopoly, vertically-integrated utilities. In other words, this trend represents the shifts in internal risk and reward calculus among investors in highly compe ive markets, and reflects a market-based, consensus view of the underlying economic value of different power sources.
    https://rmi.org/clean-energy-is-canceling-gas-plants/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the benchmark costs of clean energy have fallen meaningfully in the past year. We have updated our analysis, using new data on renewable energy and storage costs from the US Department of Energy-sponsored 2020 Annual Technology Baseline (ATB) and an improved representation of how storage can contribute to meeting peak demand. We have found that CEPs are now even more compe ive with new gas plants.

Importantly, this updated analysis shows that most proposed gas plants that do get built will face stranded cost risks within 10 years of construction. If cost and efficiency improvements for clean energy continue at closer to their historical rates (e.g., as shown in the 2020 ATB’s Advanced scenario), 90 percent of planned combined-cycle capacity will face stranded cost risk by 2026. For many gas-fired plants, this could mean that they are already stranded assets the day they enter service.
    https://rmi.org/clean-energy-is-canceling-gas-plants/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's you who wants to base policy on unknown facts.

I didn't know the mud log data wasn't proprietary any more. When did public disclosure start on them?

Again, it's you that agree with making policy with data that is not solid.

Yes, you are.

It was projections. not proof.

Maybe we will, maybe we won't.

Where can I buy a crystal ball like yours?

Cool....

Have you done the same with my threads on global warming? love to see you eat crow on them.
    Here is a post from 10 years ago that did not age well. Not expecting a response, but 10 more years.. .it is hotter with more extreme weather events. 10 years form now... it will be worse still.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would propose a solid carbon tax of some sort, with the funds being dumped into research on solid renewables, and tax-breaks for companies building/using efficiency and renewable energy sources.

Cap and trade of carbon emissions seems to me to be a fair solution to this problem.
    Taxing carbon will drive the price of EVERYTHING up. You do know that, right?
    ... and we have renewables anyway, and all that development happened.

So basically, I advocated for CO2 reduction over a decade ago, to mitigate climate change, and you came back with a bull argument, and we have more green energy now, but probably not enough.

You.
    Stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taxing carbon will drive the price of EVERYTHING up. You do know that, right?
    Solar energy reaches historically low costs
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/13/...y-outlook-2020

Your energy density argument.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trend looks good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we don't need funds for renewable energy anymore, looks like the market is doing its thing.

The owners of Australia's newest coal-fired power station have written down the value of the asset to zero, wiping out a $1.2 billion investment in the face of an onslaught of renewable energy.

The decision was booked in Sumitomo's September accounts, in which the company acknowledged the facility was worthless despite being barely 10 years old.In what a financial market analyst said was a "classic example" of changes predicted in the energy industry, Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo has written off its $250 million equity stake in the Bluewaters power plant in Western Australia's south-west.

It comes just nine years after Sumitomo, in a joint venture with fellow Japanese firm Kansai, bought Bluewaters for a reported $1.2 billion from the wreckage of fallen coal tycoon Ric Stowe's failed business empire.
    Kansai is believed to have made similar accounting changes, meaning both companies have reduced their equity stakes to zero.
    Bluewaters and other coal-fired power stations in WA have been dealing with tougher trading conditions as renewable energy led by solar increasingly hollows out the market.

The Ins ute of Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, a think tank funded by environmental philanthropists, said Sumitomo had been left with little choice other than to write off its investment in Bluewaters.

Simon Nicholas, an energy finance analyst at IEEFA, said the decision was important in a global context because it highlighted the extraordinary changes underway in energy.
    "I think this is an absolutely classic example of what we're likely to see going forward across Australia and around the world," Mr Nicholas said.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...books/12990532

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP was 06-14-2010

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure all the board lefties will love paying 5-6 bucks for a gallon of gas. Oh, and paying more for all other goods shipped by truck (pretty much everything).
    good call

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any time the federal government taxes one en y to support another they end up ing it up. Corn Ethanol is a perfect example. Congress just sells out to the highest bidder.
    aged like fine cream

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The decreasing cost of renewables unlikely to plateau anytime soon

Early price forecasts underestimated how good we’d get at making green energy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lesson: cheap cynicism can be costly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Additions of renewable power capacity are on track to set yet another annual record in 2021, driven by solar PV. Almost 290 gigawatts (GW) of new renewable power will be commissioned this year, which is 3% higher than 2020’s already exceptional growth. Solar PV alone accounts for more than half of all renewable power expansion in 2021, followed by wind and hydropower.

The growth of renewable capacity is forecast to accelerate in the next five years, accounting for almost 95% of the increase in global power capacity through 2026. We have revised up our forecast from a year earlier, as stronger policy support and ambitious climate targets announced for COP26 outweigh the current record commodity prices that have increased the costs of building new wind and solar PV installations. Globally, renewable electricity capacity is forecast to increase by over 60% between 2020 and 2026, reaching more than 4 800 GW. This is equivalent to the current global power capacity of fossil fuels and nuclear combined. Overall, China remains the leader over the next five years, accounting for 43% of global renewable capacity growth, followed by Europe, the United States and India. These four markets alone account for 80% of renewable capacity expansion worldwide.
    https://www.iea.org/reports/renewabl...cutive-summary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fossil fuels are heavily subsidized and politically protected, hence the language about pursuing a subnational strategy for renewable heating sources.

Since the start of 2020, heat from renewable sources has benefited directly or indirectly from several policy developments, mostly in Europe. Under current policies, renewable heat consumption, excluding traditional uses of biomass, is expected to increase by one-quarter during the 2021-26 period. Its share of global heat consumption is only forecast to rise from 11% in 2020 to 13% in 2026. Fossil fuels are set to continue meeting much of the growing global demand for heat, leading to a 5% increase in heat-related CO2 emissions over our forecast period.

The lack of policy and financial incentives for renewable heat is preventing faster growth. Globally, more than one-third of heat consumption is not covered by any financial incentive for renewables, and more than half is not subject to any renewables-related regulatory measures. The fragmented nature of heat markets and local characteristics of heat demand partly explain the limited national policy coverage. This makes greater collaboration with subnational actors necessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drive through the panhandle occasionally to get to visit dad. always amazed at the scope and scale of the wind farms.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting article

Green Upheaval: The New Geopolitics of Energy
    https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...green-upheaval

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting article

what did you find interesting?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what did you find interesting?
    The article

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anything about it in particular?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting article

Waste of time.

Better off reading ST’s privacy policy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Waste of time.

Better off reading ST’s privacy policy.
    It was pretty good. Sort of a summary of all the things happening and that will likely happen as we move into a more renewable world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drive through the panhandle occasionally to get to visit dad. always amazed at the scope and scale of the wind farms.
    Yeah, that Swee er/Lubbock area is crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that Swee er/Lubbock area is crazy.
    The ranchers up there have got to love the rent payments. with no risk of spills or something messing up the grazing land, really a huge win for them.

Thinking of snapping up land in windy places...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ranchers up there have got to love the rent payments. with no risk of spills or something messing up the grazing land, really a huge win for them.

Thinking of snapping up land in windy places...
    But what about all the dead birds?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is leasing more land and sea for BigOil than Trash did.

Thread Information