Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Deck screws = screwing time, nails equals nail gun. even with both being automated, you can get probably 3 or four nails in for every screw you put in.
    Duh, I don't have a nail gun though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Nail guns are much faster than drills with an attachment.

I used the Spax of this design:

I concur.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    this sad world needs walls torn down, joe........not built up!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    this sad world needs walls torn down, joe........not built up!
    If the feds won't do it....I will!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    If the feds won't do it....I will!!!
    tree killer!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    No these are fence builders. 15/ft covers demo, truck off, new posts, 2x4's and dog ears, materials. They are not with deck screws, but with galvanized ringed nails. No prefabs. I had a 50 foot section that I needed done, and it would have been 750, but of course I got it at cost since I knew some people. Ended up costing me just over 325.
    Must be nice to live with subsidies. The material alone was a few hundred bux.

50 ft would have required six 4x4's if they used 10 ft 2 x 4's. It takes 17 dog ears per 8 ft, so that's about 106 of them. That's at least $200 in material.

Must be nice to have friends that take a business loss.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Must be nice to live with subsidies. The material alone was a few hundred bux.

50 ft would have required six 4x4's if they used 10 ft 2 x 4's. It takes 17 dog ears per 8 ft, so that's about 106 of them. That's at least $200 in material.

Must be nice to have friends that take a business loss.
    Remember the contractor discount on all materials too, but you are about right, it was just under 200 for the materials. This leaves about 130 to pay the 2 guys out of, 6 hours of work, about 11 an hour.

It's good to have friends all over the spectrum!

No business loss, however, no profit either.

Edit: ok, I will concede a small business loss on the administrative side of the house.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Remember the contractor discount on all materials too, but you are about right, it was just under 200 for the materials. This leaves about 130 to pay the 2 guys out of, 6 hours of work, about 11 an hour.

It's good to have friends all over the spectrum!

No business loss, however, no profit either.

Edit: ok, I will concede a small business loss on the administrative side of the house.
    If they got paid $11 per hour, then the business either took a loss, or hiring people illegally under the table.

Social security match
    Insurances
    etc.

Not to mention fuel cost of the truck and equipment. then the 12 man-hours of work at your place isn't the end of it. What about the time it took to load the truck and drive, or did the workers do that for free.

I don't want to at you, but I find this disgusting, because this is either tax evasion, or illegal help.

Either way, unless they worked for near minimum wage, there is something illegal going on here.

Name
    Adam Rabel
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    If they got paid $11 per hour, then the business either took a loss, or hiring people illegally under the table.

Social security match
    Insurances
    etc.

Not to mention fuel cost of the truck and equipment. then the 12 man-hours of work at your place isn't the end of it. What about the time it took to load the truck and drive, or did the workers do that for free.

I don't want to at you, but I find this disgusting, because this is either tax evasion, or illegal help.

Either way, unless they worked for near minimum wage, there is something illegal going on here.
    if they are considered independent contractors then the social security match doesnt occur, along with any other of those employment taxes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

Social security match
    Insurances
    etc.

I call it helping a friend out.

But I hear ya, I may also some call up some friends who know people who do this kind of work...dare I say it...under the table!!! Is that wrong?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    if they are considered independent contractors then the social security match doesnt occur, along with any other of those employment taxes.
    That is a correct statement.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Social security match
    Insurances
    etc.

I was assuming $11 an hour because that was the difference between what I paid and what the materials were. Insurance would come out of the "administrative costs" which I conceded. I went with the owner and purchased the materials which is how i knew the costs, then he dropped them off at my house. They drive their own vehicles to work, just like me, my wife and everyone else that I know. They bring their own tools which they have purchased over the years out of their own pocket, and use these.

Anything else?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I was assuming $11 an hour because that was the difference between what I paid and what the materials were. Insurance would come out of the "administrative costs" which I conceded. I went with the owner and purchased the materials which is how i knew the costs, then he dropped them off at my house. They drive their own vehicles to work, just like me, my wife and everyone else that I know. They bring their own tools which they have purchased over the years out of their own pocket, and use these.

Anything else?
    Also, have you ever had a friend come over and help you with a project? Perhaps change out a clutch? Or I don't know, lay hardwood, or carpet?? Did you pay them for their hours that they worked? If yes, did you produce a 1099 in January so that they could claim this income on their taxes? Because if not, you are guilty of what you are accusing me and my friends of doing (wrongly I might add).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Also, have you ever had a friend come over and help you with a project? Perhaps change out a clutch? Or I don't know, lay hardwood, or carpet?? Did you pay them for their hours that they worked? If yes, did you produce a 1099 in January so that they could claim this income on their taxes? Because if not, you are guilty of what you are accusing me and my friends of doing (wrongly I might add).
    I had no intentions of giving Bigzak a 1099....but now I'm nervous...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I had no intentions of giving Bigzak a 1099....but now I'm nervous...
    You better! and don't think about trying to cir vent the system by paying him in beer and steaks, there is a barter tax too!

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    im sure you can get a couple buddys to help you and you just treat them out for some dinner with beers afterwards

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I could weld you a badass steel tube hog wire fence for that much. Damn!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    But they are required to have tax ID's then and pay 14.9% of their wages in payroll taxes. That cuts the $11.00 down to $9.36 an hour, of which they still have to pay income tax on.

Know any legal contractors willing to work that cheap?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Go home illegals!!!!!

that's too expensive, will someone build me a new fence for $500 please???? Oh here you go you nice Mexican you....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    I call it helping a friend out.

But I hear ya, I may also some call up some friends who know people who do this kind of work...dare I say it...under the table!!! Is that wrong?
    Yes and no.

I sense some illegal activity here. Just helping a friend, and having the work done by friends is one thing. When you involve a business, or contract employees, it becomes tax evasion, or a charity work.

people here complain about others not paying their fair share. What is this? Do as I say, not as I do?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Yes and no.

I sense some illegal activity here. Just helping a friend, and having the work done by friends is one thing. When you involve a business, or contract employees, it becomes tax evasion, or a charity work.

people here complain about others not paying their fair share. What is this? Do as I say, not as I do?
    It's not tax evasion to pay independent contractors.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    But they are required to have tax ID's then and pay 14.9% of their wages in payroll taxes. That cuts the $11.00 down to $9.36 an hour, of which they still have to pay income tax on.

Know any legal contractors willing to work that cheap?
    It's not as inconceivable as you think. Lots of independent contractors do work for say $100 a day, whether they work five hours or fourteen hours. So this could have just been one of those jobs for them that their hourly rate wasn't as high as other jobs.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Joe, access to some water is all I'll request for the opportunity to help out...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    I'm curious Drachen...

Did the help speak any English?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    It's not tax evasion to pay independent contractors.
    I know that. The numbers just don't add up. He paid $325 for a job requiring $200 in supplies. That's $125 left over for 2 the two workers. He said "just over" so let's assume $65 each for 6 hrs of labor. The only contractors I have ever seen that will work at that wage are illegals.

Tell me, is the employment situation bad enough in Texas, for that to be an acceptable contractor rate when they have to pay 14.9% SS/medicare plus taxes on this income?

Thread Information