Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dude, as long as I have some good music to work by, I'm golden.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    64 ft X $15/ft = $960

The quote isn't terribly high, but it's still high.
    It's not really high if you figure tear down and haul away are both included.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Well, I did 8 sections of cedar fence a couple years ago. the wood alone was in the neighborhood of $430. When I added concrete and stainless steel deck screws, my supplies were just under $500. Figure fair labor prices and workmanship from there.

Please don't pay someone who uses illegal help.
    Yeah, too high for me. 8 ft sections are $44 at Lowe's. I need 7 so that is $308.00 plus the posts so I can do it for much less myself. Of course I always knew that but I figure if I can get a decent quote for a decent job then I am willing to pay, yeah that is right. But if I can save and still do a decent job then that makes it much better and I will get the satisfaction of doing it myself.
    I mean, I do know how to google and follow directions.
    That may be part of the labor cost. The low end might be someone buying those cheap ass prebuilt sections and installing it while the high end might be like I built mine. Board by board.

Consider this. Do you really want a privacy fence? now I haven't a clue what your regulations are, but some places require it be built on one persons side or the other with responsibilities on both sides.

Suggestion you may like...

have her pay for the fence, build it in her side, and you build it. Or a variation, but if you can build it, let that be your part.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Cool. Just let me know a week or two in advance so I can plan. I need the exercise and I'll enjoy the sense of accomplishment...

I've only replaced boards before, which is extremely easy, and not done the posts, but we just gotta dig and get the concrete. Mouse's knowledge would really help, but you know how it goes when Mouse gets involved in things...

I don't think it will be too hard really. All the stuff is done, we just gotta replace and duplicate what has been done with new materials. It would be a different story if we were starting from scratch.

Anyhow, just PM me. I don't have my new cell# yet. I can PM you my home phone though.
    Post hole diggers are probably $30 to $40. I found mine on a closeout sale for $10.97. I forget the price range, but I bought premixed cement... sand and gravel already in it. Add water, mix, and poor. I used a 33 gal plastic garbage can to do this. One to 2 bags per hole. If you get a clean hole, one bag. I had big rocks to contend with, so some holes were a royal pain and too 2 bags. by the time I made the holes, they was larger than the others.

Make sure you know where the underground stuff is before you dig, and get the permits if needed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    A week or so ago the neighbor lady told me she was getting an estimate to replace the privacy fence between our yards. I knew what she was hinting at so I asked if she wanted to split the costs and she jumped on it.
    Well, last week while I was away my other neighbor spoke to my wife and told her his estimate is $1300. It in only on the right side of the house going back to end of the yard.
    It is only 8 sections long and since the gate is only on our side she told him we would take care of that part ourselves. The neighbor has chain link fence from the privacy fence to her house.
    I thought that was way too much. So I've got a few others coming out to give me quotes.
    The neighbor is the same dude who wanted to trim our trees for $350 bucks when I got some dudes to do it for $150.

Am I wrong? I've googled it and may just to the job myself. Mouse was going to help but he has been a no show for quite some time now.
    have you thought about getting thick/tall vegetation instead?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    have you thought about getting thick/tall vegetation instead?
    That gets more expensive unless you want to wait the years it takes to grow.

I checked that out when I built my fence.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Also call ahead to the brush drop off site to make sure that a load of that magnitude won't cost you anything. Also consider that you may have to remove the nails, I don't know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    you are looking about $15.00 per lf to install and about $4.50 to remove old so about $19-$20 to demo and install new (book price)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    you are looking about $15.00 per lf to install and about $4.50 to remove old so about $19-$20 to demo and install new (book price)
    That is far too much!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    That is far too much!
    like i said book price

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Whoah!! Well, I'll tell them I'll remove to lower the costs but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this myself and some help. The wife is all gung-ho too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Whoah!! Well, I'll tell them I'll remove to lower the costs but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this myself and some help. The wife is all gung-ho too.
    I remember one year my dad and I asked our neighbors (I called them the mormons because they were) if they wanted to tear down our fence and put up a new one (the one between our back yards), they said "sure" and we split the costs, etc. They were real cool people, mormons Well on the day that we were going to do it all of a sudden 20 guys and about 10 women showed up. It was great! we had lemonade, snacks, and lunch being served to us, and it took us about an hour to demo and pack up the old fence, and another half hour to pour the concrete and set up the posts. The next day they all came back and it took less than 2 hours to get the 2x4's and boards up and this was without a nail gun. LOL.

I guess the moral of the story is that you should move to Salt Lake City, UT.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    asking mouse for help might not be a good idea, i heard he was having trouble getting wood up

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But wait second Joe, this wasn't even your idea! Why break your back for that neighbor? You offered to pay half. You already know you are going to s out at least $500 (including your labor), so tell the lady to get some estimates but that you can only afford to contribute $500. If she's willling to pay the other $800 fine; if not she'll come up with a cheaper solution I'm sure. Then you just write the check you would have written anyway and sit back and admire the new fence!
    Last edited by mrsmaalox; 06-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    But wait second Joe, this wasn't even your idea! Why break your back for that neighbor? You offered to pay half. You already know you are going to s out at least $500 (including your labor), so tell the lady to get some estimates but that you can only afford to contribute $500. If she's willling to pay the other $800 fine; if not she'll come up with a cheaper solution I'm sure. Then you just write the check you would have written anyway and sit back and admire the new fence!
    I'd say to do this, unless you really want to do the work. If you want to do the work then more power to you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'd say to do this, unless you really want to do the work. If you want to do the work then more power to you.
    .... and make her pay for the materials.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    I remember one year my dad and I asked our neighbors (I called them the mormons because they were) if they wanted to tear down our fence and put up a new one (the one between our back yards), they said "sure" and we split the costs, etc. They were real cool people, mormons Well on the day that we were going to do it all of a sudden 20 guys and about 10 women showed up. It was great! we had lemonade, snacks, and lunch being served to us, and it took us about an hour to demo and pack up the old fence, and another half hour to pour the concrete and set up the posts. The next day they all came back and it took less than 2 hours to get the 2x4's and boards up and this was without a nail gun. LOL.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    That is far too much!
    WTF...

People don't work for peanuts in crafts that are skilled labor. I'd say do it yourself if you aren't willing to pay a proper price, or are you going to employ illegal help?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    WTF...

People don't work for peanuts in crafts that are skilled labor. I'd say do it yourself if you aren't willing to pay a proper price, or are you going to employ illegal help?
    Um, my buddy who told me that he charges in general $15 a foot is all white. Crazy southern accent and everything. Additionally, my nieces father owns a decking and fencing company, he also doesn't charge as much and his fencers are both white. 20/ft is far too much for a fence WC.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Um, my buddy who told me that he charges in general $15 a foot is all white. Crazy southern accent and everything. Additionally, my nieces father owns a decking and fencing company, he also doesn't charge as much and his fencers are both white. 20/ft is far too much for a fence WC.
    It depends on the grounds you work on and in my experience, prices are negotiable. You cannot have one set price. You may have very soft soil requiring deeper holes and longer posts. You might have really hard soil that makes the post hole digging far longer. If the terrain if uneven, more labor is involved. Then are you paying for premade sections to be set, or individual boards.

I think what you have is a cost that usually amounts to $15 a foot. If you take a minimum charge because of trucking the equipment out and other purposes, then add either time or by the foot, the rate changes. You could have $250 for the first 8 feet and $50 for each additional section. At a rate like this, the first section would be $31.25 a foot. Five sections would be $11.25 a foot, etc.

Now I agree that $15 a foot may be a high price for premade fencing. There is also quality of build. then on top of that, quality and price are not always linked, but as a general rule are. If I were making a fence, board by board, I wouldn't charge under $15 per foot. I've done it, and it takes time to do it right. I wouldn't do the work with prefab sections either. I think it's so tacky.

You get what you pay for. Pay for , you get generally. Myself, I didn't use a single nail. I used Stainless Steel deck screws, adding cost and labor.

have you seen how ty those prefab 8 foot sections are made? If you believe in buying that quality and pay for the cheaper labor of putting that in then fine.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    It depends on the grounds you work on and in my experience, prices are negotiable. You cannot have one set price. You may have very soft soil requiring deeper holes and longer posts. You might have really hard soil that makes the post hole digging far longer. If the terrain if uneven, more labor is involved. Then are you paying for premade sections to be set, or individual boards.

I think what you have is a cost that usually amounts to $15 a foot. If you take a minimum charge because of trucking the equipment out and other purposes, then add either time or by the foot, the rate changes. You could have $250 for the first 8 feet and $50 for each additional section. At a rate like this, the first section would be $31.25 a foot. Five sections would be $11.25 a foot, etc.

Now I agree that $15 a foot may be a high price for premade fencing. There is also quality of build. then on top of that, quality and price are not always linked, but as a general rule are. If I were making a fence, board by board, I wouldn't charge under $15 per foot. I've done it, and it takes time to do it right. I wouldn't do the work with prefab sections either. I think it's so tacky.

You get what you pay for. Pay for , you get generally. Myself, I didn't use a single nail. I used Stainless Steel deck screws, adding cost and labor.

have you seen how ty those prefab 8 foot sections are made? If you believe in buying that quality and pay for the cheaper labor of putting that in then fine.
    Yeah, I always use deck screws, no nails. Not going with the prefab 8 ft sections, although I don't quite get the "tacky" part of it. A neighbor up the street did his that way but he has a flat yard and he stained it and it looks quite nice.
    Using deck screws makes it easier IMO and nor sure why it would add labor

Good comments everyone.

Can I do this?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

No these are fence builders. 15/ft covers demo, truck off, new posts, 2x4's and dog ears, materials. They are not with deck screws, but with galvanized ringed nails. No prefabs. I had a 50 foot section that I needed done, and it would have been 750, but of course I got it at cost since I knew some people. Ended up costing me just over 325.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yeah, I always use deck screws, no nails. Not going with the prefab 8 ft sections, although I don't quite get the "tacky" part of it. A neighbor up the street did his that way but he has a flat yard and he stained it and it looks quite nice.

Good comments everyone.

Can I do this?

Deck screws = screwing time, nails equals nail gun. even with both being automated, you can get probably 3 or four nails in for every screw you put in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Nail guns are much faster than drills with an attachment.

I used the Spax of this design:

Thread Information