Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've fished sal er my whole life and have fished fresh water maybe two or three times. Have always fished with live bait and shrimp. Anyone know any places in or around San Antonio where one can catch trout or catfish? Medina, canyon lake, calavarez, broenic, guadelupe? Which of these is the best?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    boat?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no boat.... but maybe kayak!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If no boat IMHO your best bet is Calaveras. Go in the entry and turn left. Stop at the "curve" in the park. Wade out (around the cattails) and use your sal er rig to chunk your bait as far as you can. Theres a ridge out there (structure) Pick up some fresh crawfish this time of year at Central Market. You can catch Bass, Catfish, and Redfish.

Forget the (freshwater) trout this year. The big ones in the Guadalupe got killed off during the drought last year and most of the TPW stockers from February are long gone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no boat.... but maybe kayak!
    Your kayak is going to cost you $10 to get in just like a real boat. ing rip off. Work that same area (the ridge and back towards the shore vegetation) and then the shoreline to the dam. You can also pick up striper hybrids on the riprap on the backside of the dam.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans

Went fishing the other day...last Friday to be exact and managed to do well locally with the limit on barracuda. Three gutted and left to be made into ceviche and filets to be smoked. Caught on a custom Calstar Graf900xm with a Newell S-350; a Calstar 750sl with a Avet MXL (non-2 speed); and a bottom rigged Daiwa set-up. Tady blue & white iron and live anchovies were my choice of bait/lures.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Barracuda? . You guys on the left coast are weird mother ers. Those are catch and release throwbacks in Texas. Fun to catch on a slow day and then right back in the water. Barracuda? *hock*spit* You are actually PAYING someone to make you barracuda ceviche and smoked fillets?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    FYI

Barracuda Gone Bad: Ciguatera Fish Poisoning

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) places barracuda at the top of its list of predatory fish consumers ought to avoid. This is because large, predatory fish that live near reefs, like barracudas, have a greater chance of passing along ciguatera fish poisoning. As its name implies, the poisoning is caused by a substance called ciguatoxin. Though ciguatera fish poisoning can stir up a highly uncomfortable spectrum of symptoms, it's rarely fatal.

Certain types of algae that breed in deep tropical waters produce ciguatoxin. More specifically, it comes from a one-celled organism called dinoflagellate that breeds on different kinds of algae. Since barracudas are carnivores, they don't consume the ciguatera-tainted algae directly. The small fish that barracuda feed on, such as tuna, herring and anchovies, eat the algae; then, the ciguatera enters the barracuda's system as it digests the fish. While barracudas process the ciguatera, the poison ac ulates in their flesh, fat and viscera [source: Hoffman et al].

The ciguatoxin doesn't harm the barracuda, but almost everyone who eats infected barracuda will reap unpleasant consequences. Within 24 hours, the poisoning provokes extreme nausea and vomiting that often lasts for a couple of days. A tingling in nerve endings, or parethesia, may persist longer. Other symptoms include headache and a metallic taste and feeling of loose teeth in the mouth. In atypical cases, ciguatera fish poisoning can produce permanent nerve and cardiovascular damage.

Enjoy your ceviche!!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Let me know if anyone wants fish mounted, or replica done. I can pm website so you can see the work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Let me know if anyone wants fish mounted, or replica done. I can pm website so you can see the work.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    Marini, when you going to send me some buisness?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Marini, when you going to send me some buisness?

I think you gave me the wrong #!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas State Bobcats
    I think you gave me the wrong #!!!
    ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Barracuda? . You guys on the left coast are weird mother ers. Those are catch and release throwbacks in Texas. Fun to catch on a slow day and then right back in the water. Barracuda? *hock*spit* You are actually PAYING someone to make you barracuda ceviche and smoked fillets?
    There are more than one species of barracuda and the inedible species is the Great Barracuda that is found in the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, and especially the Florida Keys. Cigutera is a toxin mainly found in the Great Barracuda because they feed off fish that eat/spend their lives around Coral Reefs, which, are not really that common here off the coast of California. The Pacific Barracuda, which is classified as both a game fish/food fish is very much edible. Is it the best eating fish? No. But certainly not life threatening.

http://thewebsiteofeverything.com/an...raena-argentea

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    The smoking and ceviche are the best way to prepare the pacific/Californian barracuda. I don't pay the neighbor, but we exchange fish and often go on trips. The SoCal fishery gears it's local fare towards the Pacific Barracuda/Sand bass on the short range trips; yellowtail/calico/yellowfin tuna for the moderate-long range trips.

Thread Information