My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2010 World Cup Final will be a groundbreaking game in more ways than one. What's that? You want to know exactly how many ways it will be groundbreaking? You got it — here's why Sunday's match at Soccer City, above, will see a number of firsts...

1. This year's final will be the first time a team from Europe wins the tournament outside of Europe. Only Brazil and Argentina have won away from their home continent.

2. This is the first final that will not feature one of Argentina, Brazil, Germany or Italy.

3. It will be Spain's first time in the final. Their best performance so far is fourth place in the 1950 edition, and this tournament is the first since then that they have even reached the semifinals.

4. This could be the Netherlands' first World Cup victory, if they overcome David Villa et al. They've been losing finalists twice.

5. If you followed the two previous points closely enough, you will see that World Cup 2010 will definitely see a first-time winner.

6. Additionally, it's also the first time the Netherlands will not face the host nation in the final. In 1974 they lost 2-1 to West Germany in Munich, and in 1978 they suc bed to Argentina 3-1 in Buenos Aires.

7. The game will also be the first time either manager has won anything on the international stage. Bert van Marwijk has won the UEFA Cup and the Dutch version of the FA Cup with Feyenoord, and Vicente del Bosque won the Champions League, La Liga, the Supercopa de Espana, the UEFA Super Cup and the Intercontinental Cup with Real Madrid.

8. It's the first time a psychic octopus has shaped the outcome of the final. If Germany had managed to prevail over the Spanish, this would also have been the first time a mollusk would have had the chance to reveal the outcome of a final before it took place.

9. The final will be the first game in this tournament that Fernando Torres maybe thinks about possibly scoring a goal. If he plays, that is.

10. And finally, the final will give you your first chance to talk about something other then LeBron this week.

Link: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...urn=sow,254382

Yeah!!!!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8. Why can't the octopus make a prediction on the final anyways?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    combo breaker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6. Additionally, it's also the first time the Netherlands will not face the host nation in the final. In 1974 they lost 2-1 to West Germany in Munich, and in 1978 they suc bed to Argentina 3-1 in Buenos Aires.
    this is why I think Netherland will win. Both Germany and Argentina cheated in the final. It is well do ented.

Although the Spanish mafia is strong these days...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9. The final will be the first game in this tournament that Fernando Torres maybe thinks about possibly scoring a goal. If he plays, that is.
    It's time for el niño to become a man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is why I think Netherland will win. Both Germany and Argentina cheated in the final. It is well do ented.

Although the Spanish mafia is strong these days...
    nkdlunch talking out of his ass, what's new?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nkdlunch talking out of his ass, what's new?
    you asked for it my friend:

Argentina, June 1978

Set against a backdrop of political uncertainty and shorn of the illuminating genius of the world's finest footballer in Johan Cruyff, the 11th staging of the World Cup was perhaps the most controversial of them all.

That it ended with a fairytale first victory for the hosts Argentina remains the subject of contention to this day, with the suggestion the country's military dictatorship aided the team's triumph continuing to cast a regrettable shadow over their achievement.

As four-goal striker Leopoldo Luque said many years later: "With what I know now, I can't say I'm proud of my victory. But I didn't realise; most of us didn't. We just played football." It is perhaps the only World Cup win that causes unease among the victors. "There is no doubt that we were used politically," added Ricky Villa.

What the players didn't realise was the scale of Argentine president General Jorge Rafael Videla's so-called 'Dirty War'. Allegations of human rights violations and 'forced disappearances' were widespread, and together with protest groups like the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, it engulfed Argentina in a very negative publicity.

During the tournament, controversy was everywhere: Welsh referee Clive Thomas blew the final whistle in Brazil's game with Sweden just as Zico was heading in, Scotland's Willie Johnston was sent home for taking a banned stimulant, and, needing to win their final second round game 4-0 against Peru to reach the final, Argentina romped to a 6-0 victory that some still believe was fixed.

The fact that Peru goalkeeper Ramon 'El Loco' Quiroga was born in Argentina did nothing to dispel rumours of a pre-arranged deal, but Luque says it is impossible to tell what really happened. "I don't know, honestly," he said two years ago. "But Videla did many bad things, much worse than bribing, so... But, we did play a tremendous game against Peru."

As the ticker tape rained down on the Estadio Monumental pitch in Buenos Aires prior to kick-off on 25 June, the drama that had engulfed the tournament took another twist. Argentina's players, desperate for any advantage they could find, objected to a bandage worn by the Dutch winger Rene van de Kerkhof on his right arm and the start was delayed.

Italian referee Sergio Gonella was initially indecisive and the Dutch players, in an atmosphere Johnny Rep later described as "boiling", threatened to walk off. Van de Kerkhof was eventually asked to return to the dressing-room and add another layer of padding, even though he had worn the same plaster in the previous five Dutch games.

The contest itself was brutal. Gonella failed to exercise any control as the tackles went flying in and the 50-50 decisions seemed to mostly fall in favour of Argentina. Just before half-time Mario Kempes fired them ahead, only for Dirk Nanninga to head home a leveller eight minutes from time.

With seconds left the Netherlands' five-goal top scorer Rob Rensenbrink rolled a shot against the post and when the game went into extra-time, Kempes struck his sixth of the compe ion to pip Rensenbrink to the Golden Boot, before Daniel Bertoni rolled in to wrap it up and send the Monumental into ecstasy.

As Rensenbrink later said: "If the trajectory of my shot had been five centimetres different, we would have been world champions. On top of that, I would have been crowned top scorer and perhaps chosen as the best player of the tournament - all in the same match. That's why I keep things in perspective."

Argentina became the fifth host nation to win the World Cup. But with their campaign clouded in controversy from start until finish, history is unlikely to look upon them with the same fondness as it does so many of the other champions. "In hindsight, we should never have played that World Cup," admitted Luque. "I strongly believe that."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathans..._world_cu.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asked about the remarkable 6-0 against Peru, Luque admits that anything could have happened. “I don’t know, honestly. But Videla did many bad things, much worse than bribing, so… But, we did play a tremendous game against Peru…”

There is no proof, but it’s telling maybe how one of the Peruvian players has been nicknamed “the bribed one” in his hometown and it is also know how Videla quickly visited the Peru dressing room before the match. The rumors that Peru was given container loads of grain after the WC are very persistent. Argentina needed 4 goals difference to reach the finals, against an opponent in great form. It was 4-0 after 50 minutes…

The ref, the same one who’d lead the finals

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Xavi and Iniesta just control the midfield too well. I think the game will be a lot like the Germany game with Spain winning in the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8. Why can't the octopus make a prediction on the final anyways?
    I heard an interview where it was confirmed that Paul will predict both games... the women also said that it will be the last two games he will ever predict because he is very old and probably won't make it to 2012...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2. This is the first final that will not feature one of Argentina, Brazil, Germany or Italy
    tbh I wasn't even really aware of that. I knew the dominance, but i didn't know it was this absolute

nuts

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I heard an interview where it was confirmed that Paul will predict both games... the women also said that it will be the last two games he will ever predict because he is very old and probably won't make it to 2012...
    He's going out like a champ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you asked for it my friend
    ing moron, Don't you think I know about that? You said Holland got robbed in the final, show me how the did that happen? That game went to extra time and in the 90th minutes of regulation the Dutch hit a shot into the post when the game was 1-1, should have made that Holland get the tournament. I don't think that an arrenged game will let the result depend on a play like that, besides there were no bad calls on that game.

And about the Peru game, I personally don't know what to bealive, but all the players (Argentinian and Peruvians) say (even to date) that nothing happened, and just a few moths before that game Argentina beat Peru 4-0 in Peru, so thinking about that the 6-0 result in Argentina doesn't seem so illogical to me.

So once again, you're talking out of your ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing moron, Don't you think I know about that? You said Holland got robbed in the final, show me how the did that happen? That game went to extra time and in the 90th minutes of regulation the Dutch hit a shot into the post when the game was 1-1, should have made that Holland get the tournament. I don't think that an arrenged game will let the result depend on a play like that, besides there were no bad calls on that game.

And about the Peru game, I personally don't know what to bealive, but all the players (Argentinian and Peruvians) say (even to date) that nothing happened, and just a few moths before that game Argentina beat Peru 4-0 in Peru, so thinking about that the 6-0 result in Argentina doesn't seem so illogical to me.

So once again, you're talking out of your ass.
    ooohh I see I struck a nerve. Like all argentines, as you cannot dispute the facts, you resort to insults.

again, here is my proof in bullet points since you seem slow:

1. Argentina's players, desperate for any advantage they could find, objected to a bandage worn by the Dutch winger Rene van de Kerkhof on his right arm and the start was delayed. Netherlands refused to attend the post-match ceremonies after the final because of what they claimed were deliberate stalling tactics by the Argentineans before the start

2. Italian referee Sergio Gonella was initially indecisive and the Dutch players, in an atmosphere Johnny Rep later described as "boiling", threatened to walk off. Van de Kerkhof was eventually asked to return to the dressing-room and add another layer of padding, even though he had worn the same plaster in the previous five Dutch games.

3. Italian referee in the final: same one as the Peru game

4. The contest itself was brutal. Gonella failed to exercise any control as the tackles went flying in and the 50-50 decisions seemed to mostly fall in favour of Argentina. Just before half-time Mario Kempes fired them ahead, only for Dirk Nanninga to head home a leveller eight minutes from time.

5. Argentine players quoted years later:
    "In hindsight, we should never have played that World Cup," admitted Luque. "I strongly believe that."

Furthermore here is additional proof that will sink your heart:
    http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footbal...he-ugly-truth/

"“After the Hungary match, one of the military men warned me that this could easily be a ‘group of death, as far as you are concerned’.”"

"Argentine players were so high on amphetamines that “you could hear them screaming in their dressing room"

"One FIFA representative was flabbergasted to discover that one of the Argentina players was pregnant."

Sorry man, sorry to destroy your fantasy. it's gotta be disheartening to know your country's first WC was bought by a bunch of murdering bas rs as the Junta.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ooohh I see I struck a nerve. Like all argentines, as you cannot dispute the facts, you resort to insults.

1. Argentina's players, desperate for any advantage they could find, objected to a bandage worn by the Dutch winger Rene van de Kerkhof on his right arm and the start was delayed. Netherlands refused to attend the post-match ceremonies after the final because of what they claimed were deliberate stalling tactics by the Argentineans before the start

2. Italian referee Sergio Gonella was initially indecisive and the Dutch players, in an atmosphere Johnny Rep later described as "boiling", threatened to walk off. Van de Kerkhof was eventually asked to return to the dressing-room and add another layer of padding, even though he had worn the same plaster in the previous five Dutch games.

4. The contest itself was brutal. Gonella failed to exercise any control as the tackles went flying in and the 50-50 decisions seemed to mostly fall in favour of Argentina. Just before half-time Mario Kempes fired them ahead, only for Dirk Nanninga to head home a leveller eight minutes from time.

"In hindsight, we should never have played that World Cup," admitted Luque. "I strongly believe that."

"“After the Hungary match, one of the military men warned me that this could easily be a ‘group of death, as far as you are concerned’.”"

"Argentine players were so high on amphetamines that “you could hear them screaming in their dressing room"

"One FIFA representative was flabbergasted to discover that one of the Argentina players was pregnant."

Sorry man, sorry to destroy your fantasy. it's gotta be disheartening to know your country's first WC was bought by a bunch of murdering bas rs as the Junta.
    I can't dispute the facts? I just explained to you what happened. All the things you said in this post are either unproven bull or have nothing to do with your first claim (that Holland got robbed in the final).

Luque said that that WC should have never taken place because of the dictatorship that was governating Argentina during that time (and I agree with him), not because it was rigged or something like that. Like I said if that Dutch shot at the end of the match would have gone in, Holland would have won it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who are you, Galileo?

I was 5 years old in 78.

Sure, the junta was a disgrace, and some players eventually regretted playing because it helped grow the popularity of the military government.
    As far as Luque specifically, he was undecided to play because his brother died on a car crash during the tournament.

But the games were all played. We got called for fouls and offsides just like everyone else. Doping tests were conducted (Scotland's Willie Johnston failed the doping test after the opening game). Holland did tie the final, and we did go to overtime. We lost 1-0 to Italy in the opening round, and no Italian player was abducted or shot.

So, if Jon Spurling (who?) wants to make a buck or two selling nonsense, I can understand that. The fools are people like you that buy into that stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Argentina

Thread Information