well atleast we still have bonner to blame when things turn to

Just agree, and shut up! celldweller's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, look at the positive, Bonner may have re-signed ... but he also got a raise!

Which means they're not going to sit him at the end of the bench...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO!

Please tell me this is not true! !~

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is setting the tone of what the offseason is going to be for the FO..... brace yourselves.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I'm not pro-Bonner, nor am I against him. I think he does well in the position that he's in, which is a roleplayer. We can't have all-stars and all-nba defense players at all positions, so we have a guy like Bonner who fills a niche. Now that I think about it, I AM pro-Bonner. The good thing is that I honestly don't think he's hit his ceiling. While I highly doubt that he'll become so much better that all of Spurstalk will start donating to the Church of Bonner, I do think he still has potential in some areas to become a decent all-around player.
    nail on the head. Bonner's problem has been that Pop had to elevate him in the rotation out of necessity i.e. lack of depth at bigs and lack of anyone else who could hit a three with any consistency. If Bonner's lower in the rotation, say 9th or so, he fills a role. Anything more than that, then the Spurs are in trouble.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This can't be right...Bonner is a free agent; he can't sign an extension. I call shenanigans.

Also, I hope that it's the value of the entire contract that exceeds $3.2M, not each year. I can't fathom Bonner getting more than $1.5M each year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . .

whatever. I saw this coming and if we land Splitter this won't make me as mad. I am more worried about our 3 position than our bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ity s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Written by Jeff Garcia Friday, 09 July 2010 14:09
    The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to terms to resign their free-agent Matt Bonner with a four-year contract extension:
    the Concord native agreed to terms with the Spurs on a four-year contract extension through the 2013-2014 season.
    "I'm just very excited. I'm really happy things worked out, and I can go back to San Antonio. I'm really looking forward to the future," Bonner said.
    The new contract is expected to exceed the annual salary of $3.2 million he earned last season.

"In the end, if San Antonio was going to make a fair deal and give me a long-term contract, that's what I was looking for at this point in my career," Bonner said. "To not have to uproot my family and my living situation and go back where I'm established and where my daughter was born, it's a great feeling.

"That's the kind of long-term stability I was looking for at this point in my career. I get to exhale and start getting ready for next year.
    Four years is a bit long in my opinion but it seems he did come "cheap" by NBA standards. The good thing now is that Spurs fans won't have to burn their Bonner jerseys a la Cleveland Cavaliers fans when LeBron James decided to join the Miami Heat.
    Now if he can only show up in games when it really matters -- the playoffs!
    Thoughts Spurs fans? Go ahead and chime in!
    nobody even buys a bonner jersey .. what the .. nooooooo ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop is allergic to defensive-minded, athletic, big men. This is not a move that makes the Spurs better or one that helps "close the gap" on the top-tier compe ion.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 07-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is setting the tone of what the offseason is going to be for the FO..... brace yourselves.
    I wonder if Splitter knows how this could affect his minutes?

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love it Love it when the noobs melt down

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is a good bench player.....but the guy has 0 clutch ability and 0 championship talent....please

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea baby 4 more years of the red rocket we have lift off

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should put the Shaq talk to rest. I hope this doesn't hurt Splitter negotiations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it a nightmare?

If numbers are right, his contract could be something like $15M over 4 years.

Let's hope this report is false. I'm not for Spurs' resigning Bonner but re-signing him to that kind of contract? It would be unreal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , does this affect Splitter coming over??? Or might it be an indication of something awry? We've waited how many years for Splitter and THIS is the first order of business post Lebrosh-Miami?

Good for Matt, thats a lotta sandwiches, and I'm sure he'll find a solid balanced mutual fund to invest his salary, but defense and rebounding....geez...did they just forget that was what they needed?
    Last edited by 4down; 07-09-2010 at 02:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This can't be right...Bonner is a free agent; he can't sign an extension. I call shenanigans.

Also, I hope that it's the value of the entire contract that exceeds $3.2M, not each year. I can't fathom Bonner getting more than $1.5M each year...
    The new contract is expected to exceed the annual salary of $3.2 million he earned last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well

Don't blame me if I'm rooting for Miami next season

our FO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . .

whatever. I saw this coming and if we land Splitter this won't make me as mad. I am more worried about our 3 position than our bigs.
    That's exactly it. I think most Spurs fans see Splitter as the second coming and signing him is considered our #1 priority. With the window slowly closing on that opportunity to see that we (maybe) have resigned arguably one of the top 3 most disliked players in a Spurs uniform last season is just.... deflating'ish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information