Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schools can't be fixed by just fixing schools. A whole host of other social/socioeconomic issues would have to be addressed at the same time in order to have any chance of creating real change within the school system.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schools can't be fixed by just fixing schools. A whole host of other social/socioeconomic issues would have to be addressed at the same time in order to have any chance of creating real change within the school system.
    it's the unions!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The beauty of an e-school is ...
    this is clownish. what are you, 22 years old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The unions play a part, that is for damn sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or why dont you just take any kid who look like they might turn out to be terrorists out back and shoot them? it was good enough for you yesterday, cc...

NO, but seriously, you miss the mark on education. A tremendous amount of learning comes from interaction with teachers... learning to communicate orally is critical.

not to mention, the more you centralize the education process (like no child left behind did with standardized testing: what a disaster) the more you allow centralized authority (like the dreaded federal gov) to control the curriculum and the standards.

Think: how many local districts/states will be able to afford the setup required to get the "cloud" up and running? It would take borrowing more money/inflation/federal funding to get this up and running for kids. At a time when states everywhere are in the red, this idea is terrible.
    Skype-like services would make class discussions/interactions a cinch, along with apps that could have all the functions of a chalkboard, and many more. Otherwise, clouds are cheap. Thin-client notebook computers are dirt cheap. Finally, while this arrangement might lead the Fed to try to standardize education, it could just as easily allow States to tailor education to their own needs and economic development.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The beauty of an e-school is that it can have totally open borders. Done right, 25 year old high school dropouts that have "seen the error of their ways" could go back to e-school from home when they aren't doing the dead end manual labor job they got stuck in.

Anyone could go back and "brush up" on their math or chemistry skills for instance, or try to learn a new language if they wanted to...
    There are still schools/families who can't afford computers. Lots of them. Or who don't know how to use them. Or who find them wholly intimidating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is clownish. what are you, 22 years old?
    22? ha! I actually went to high school when they educated people. I learned enough in high school to place out of 26 hours of college credits.

Graduating uneducated idiots at 18 that can't even read is clownish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The beauty of an e-school is that it can have totally open borders. Done right, 25 year old high school dropouts that have "seen the error of their ways" could go back to e-school from home when they aren't doing the dead end manual labor job they got stuck in.

Anyone could go back and "brush up" on their math or chemistry skills for instance, or try to learn a new language if they wanted to...

Both of these examples can happen now.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Skype-like services would make class discussions/interactions a cinch, along with apps that could have all the functions of a chalkboard, and many more. Otherwise, clouds are cheap. Thin-client notebook computers are dirt cheap. Finally, while this arrangement might lead the Fed to try to standardize education, it could just as easily allow States to tailor education to their own needs and economic development.
    I resent the implication that Skype is an appropriate subs ute for one-on-one human interaction.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Absolutely, and money isn't going to fix any of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great idea. This seems like a biggie to me. Students with proven mastery can show other students what they know in real time. Why not encourage them to?
    This is exactly how they do it at the college level. Tutors are paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all of it, but it will some of it.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The discrepancy in funding, across the board, between affluent and impoverished communities is a huge part of the problem. Money would absolutely fix a lot of that.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Not all of it, but it will some of it.
    I've seen first have here in Oregon where increasing school spending hasn't done any good. I completely agree with CuckingFunt, and add that any positive steps attempted at the schools themselves, are stopped by the unions, except for spending more money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's no reason not to encourage them try IMO.
    sure, but it gets sticky when you start paying the kids.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The discrepancy in funding, across the board, between affluent and impoverished communities is a huge part of the problem. Money would absolutely fix a lot of that.
    It hasn't in Oregon. For a rather long time now, Oregon spends evenly among the schools by enrollment, rather than by community tax base. This still get worse, because community moral vales get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe a funding discrepancy in California but not as much here in Texas.

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe in California but not as much here in Texas.
    Are you joking again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SAISD gets the same amount from the state per student as NEISD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It hasn't in Oregon. For a rather long time now, Oregon spends evenly among the schools by enrollment, rather than by community tax base. This still get worse, because community moral vales get worse.
    Oregon schools suck. they continually rank at the bottom of the nation when it comes to education

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Is it coupled with any attempts to solve the problems that might be at the root of a particular community's "moral values?"

I think that an increase/evening out of funding is a necessary part of the process to fix the school system, but I've never advocated throwing money at the schools with eyes closed and fingers crossed and hoping like that everything fixes itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most students in public schools want to learn but you have about 30% of kids in most schools who have never been thought the value of a good education...so they make it difficult for teachers, who are over-worked, and fellow students, who are very impressionable...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, but it gets sticky when you start paying the kids.
    No pay, no tips. I'd be firm about that.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Maybe a funding discrepancy in California but not as much here in Texas.
    SAISD gets the same amount from the state per student as NEISD.
    I said funding across the board. Affluent communities get more funding, in a number of areas, than impoverished communities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For one, there is a reason online degrees are a last resort.

for two, it is not cheap. the computer in a childs hands does not include the IT expense, which would be massive, and the admin expense. So you trade teachers for IT admins...sounds like a real winner.

three states cant afford to implement it on thier own, THEY ARE BROKE, so they would be forced to rely on fed funding. AND the fed gov would likely be happy to oblige right now...but federal expenditure the last thing we need.

Thread Information