Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am in Starcraft heaven right now. Can't speak no more.

Must... killl more zeeeerrrrggggg!!!

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

now i'm going to have to buy an expensive monitor to really use my video card capabilities?? i thought hdtv was gonna make this baby complete.

i am disappoint. i wanted a huge screen to play games on... not a small 22 inch lcd monitor =(

well, im going to run with my measley 720p/1080i HDTV for now,

and then i'll save up some more money and buy meself a badass monitor next.
    Last edited by MiamiHeat; 07-27-2010 at 06:08 PM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just makes no sense that VGA cable would be able to transmit one analog signal but not another.
    it makes no sense to buy a new gaming comp and use a VGA cable

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it makes no sense to buy a new gaming comp for $500 and talk about using it on a $1200 screen
    fify

Miamiheat, do you drive an $800 car with $2000 rims?
    Last edited by phyzik; 07-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Well, considering I have a 24" 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) monitor, I personally disagree. I would never limit my computer resolution to a TV. These babies are $400+ with only a few under $400.

My card will go the next higher standard. I've been thinking of getting a 2560 x 1600 (WQXGA) monitor. Haven't priced many yet. I know they are spendy. Cheapest 30" I've seen is $1200, and I've seen them past $2000.
    I hear you, trust me.

But he doesnt have a card capable of puching past the limit, thus he isnt wasting his VGA on a TV.

I am strictly monitor, too. BUt the question was "Am I wasting it?"

In his case, no, IMO, he isnt.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    fify

Miamiheat, do you drive an $800 car with $2000 rims?
    whaaat, the pc i built might have cost $500 bucks, but it's a powerful gaming build capable of playing any game made, and a lot (not all) of them on max settings.

3.0 ghz triple core amd athlon processor
    4 gb ram
    radeon hd 5750 1gb video card
    500gb hdd

thats more than enough. you cant compare that to a ty car LOL. you can build good gaming pc's for less nowadays.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    So who bought the game, and how is it so far?
    I watched a Stream on justintv.

Obviously, I havent played it.

To me, it looks like SC with a facelift. Blizzard took no risks, it seems. Even the "hub" you tool around in between missions is janky. Its like a Dungeon Quest point and click affair.

5+ years of development for....I dont know what.

I would assume the game is balanced as all , since MP is really the only reason to play the game.

But there were some nice touches, like Research and Tech buying that sort-of customize your army to your playstyle. Its just to me, having played DoW and DoW2, Ive seen all of that before, at length.

This might be the first game I pirate. I am seriously skeptical of SC2, so much so I dont want to pay for it without playing it first.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    it makes no sense to buy a new gaming comp and use a VGA cable
    apparently VGA cables work well and should be fine.

there can be issues when using DVI (from reading other forums) so w/e

i'll just save up another few hundred bucks and eventually buy a better HDTV that has 1080p

monitors. i want a big desktop screen

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    I watched a Stream on justintv.

Obviously, I havent played it.

To me, it looks like SC with a facelift. Blizzard took no risks, it seems. Even the "hub" you tool around in between missions is janky. Its like a Dungeon Quest point and click affair.

5+ years of development for....I dont know what.

I would assume the game is balanced as all , since MP is really the only reason to play the game.

But there were some nice touches, like Research and Tech buying that sort-of customize your army to your playstyle. Its just to me, having played DoW and DoW2, Ive seen all of that before, at length.

This might be the first game I pirate. I am seriously skeptical of SC2, so much so I dont want to pay for it without playing it first.
    the Use Map Settings community alone is worth the price of the game

I must have gotten 1981392748347 hours of fun gameplay from playing user custom maps on StarCraft Broodwar

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    i cant wait to play the new Marine Special Forces on this game

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    whaaat, the pc i built might have cost $500 bucks, but it's a powerful gaming build capable of playing any game made, and a lot (not all) of them on max settings.

4 gb ram
    500gb hdd

thats more than enough. you cant compare that to a ty car LOL. you can build good gaming pc's for less nowadays.
    True, true.

But you should consider 8gb of RAM and two VGAs, instead of a sick monitor.

Games like Bad Company 2 are going to kick your machine's ass, nevermind Crysis (or Crysis 2).

If youre into PC gaming, upgrade the rig, monitor is secondary. I have been using a Dell 2405FPW since 2005.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-31335738.html

Its still rocks because monitors/display arent really all that important. So long as its native resolution is 1080+ (thats 1920 x 1080), has a 60hz+ refresh rate and the reviews say the "blacks are black", its a good/great monitor.

Could I upgrade? Sure. Have I ever needed to? Absolutely not.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    apparently VGA cables work well and should be fine.

there can be issues when using DVI (from reading other forums) so w/e

i'll just save up another few hundred bucks and eventually buy a better HDTV that has 1080p

monitors. i want a big desktop screen
    No, no, no.

Dont listen to that bull .

You should be using a DVI or HDMI cord, period.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    No, no, no.

Dont listen to that bull .

You should be using a DVI or HDMI cord, period.
    well, i have a spare HDMI cable, so it ill just use that

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    True, true.

But you should consider 8gb of RAM and two VGAs, instead of a sick monitor.

Games like Bad Company 2 are going to kick your machine's ass, nevermind Crysis (or Crysis 2).
    could you explain why??

i'm looking at the sysreq's of BC2 and it says for Recommended :

quadcore cpu (minimum is dual core 2ghz)
    2GB RAM
    512MB radeon hd 4870 vid card

doesnt seem like its that tough on the pc? what did I overlook??

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Ive got mine hooked up to my 40" samsung via hdmi and it is insane. I have never played the first starcraft what kind of game is it?

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

4 gb ram
    500gb hdd

Not at max settings. No way. Not with todays games.

Your building a mediocre gaming PC.

I am a HARDCORE PC gamer. I update my PC every year or so, but I go top of the line.

I DARE you to run a game like Singularity at max graphics. Wont happen.

And thats not even a "pushing the limits" game.

Dont get me wrong, for what you are building it for (Starcraft 2) it will run it..... but dont kid yourself into thinking its going to run the latest and greatest at max settings. It wont.

To compare, this is what I have in my gaming rig and Im considering upgrading soon.....

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

8gb of RAM

2 Nvidia Gefore 250 cards (running SLI) each with 1GB of video ram

150GB 15000RPM HD that does 6gb/sec

a Second 2TB drive for basic data storage

THATS a gaming computer that will last for maybe another year or 2 with games at max settings.... And Im already looking at upgrading.

Seriously, Im not trying to dog on you. What you are building will get you through games for maybe 6 months. In the gaming world, thats a waste of money.

If it works for what you want, great, but I have been doing this for YEARS and what you are building is like buying a beat up car off of an untrustworthy dealer..... dont expect it to keep up for long when it comes to gaming.

Then again, Im a hardcore gamer... you may not be.

Im just giving a mutual gamers warning, dont expect that PC to hold up to the games coming out.
    Last edited by phyzik; 07-28-2010 at 12:16 AM.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    could you explain why??

2GB RAM

Yeah, thats BC2 in 1020 x 768 resolution (or maybe even worse, 800 x 600).

But if you want to run all the particle effects, anti-aliasing at 1920 x 1200, your machine wont handle it, dude, trust me.

Ive got a killer rig, one of the best, and at max settings (8x AA, 1920 x 1200, all the bells and whistles on) my rig sounds like a jet plane after about an hour of gameplay (the extra fans kick on after the box reaches a certain temperature).

After I am done playing, I have leave my PC on for about 5-10 minutes while it continues to cool. Its a demanding game.

Point is this, Miami.

Screw the monitor.

Upgrade your RAM to 8gb and get (2) video cards that can run in Crossfire/SLi. You'll thank me (us) later, trust me.

StarCraft2 is, graphically speaking, weak-sauce. Any modern FPS burns that game up. Even Modern Warfare, a 2 year old game, will eat that system alive at max settings.

And really, there are only two things you need to prevent that. More RAM and two VGAs. Your processor is more than enough. So long as you have the proper power supply (500w is more than enough, depending on how many rails it has), a decent mobo (anything nVidia, ASUS, etc), youll be good to go on any game. Maybe not at max settings, but certainly above minimum specs.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Ive got mine hooked up to my 40" samsung via hdmi and it is insane. I have never played the first starcraft what kind of game is it?
    Real-Time Strategy (or RTS for short).

Along the lines of Dawn of War, Age of Empires, Supreme Commander, Warcraft 2/3, Rise of Nations and the Command & Conquer series.

Only, StarCraft is a legend in the genre. So much so that to this day, S.Korea actually has multiple television stations dedicated to tournament play of StarCraft 1. Extremely deep (but subtle) strategy and compe ion.

z0sa could explain further as he claims to actually have been good at SC1, whereas I admit I sucked (bad).

Nearly all the games follow a similar pattern of gameplay.

Base-building, scouting, resource aquisition, skirmishing, army-building, total war, someone wins.

You have to be fast (like, lightning fast, keyboard shortcuts are a MUST) and know your units to even compete in MP. What is the enemy bringing to the fight and how to counter it most effectively? What research path to follow? Build orders (HQ is usually pre-built, power stations, mining stations, infantry barracks, special barracks, air barracks), unit pattern (two workers, 2 infantry, etc), etc.

Its a very specialized, streamlined genre that doesnt lend itself well to deviation from winning patterns. Is Starcraft2 different in that sense? I have no idea, but seeing as it was in development for 5+ years and cost over $100 million dollars to make, judging by the grpahics, I assume that time was spent balancing the game so multiple strategies could be employed to reduce the cookie-cutter "auto-win" strats in other, similar games.

I certainly hope so.

Like I said, it might be first game I pirate before buying, but I have no clue how to pirate anything, much less a game.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, i have a spare HDMI cable, so it ill just use that
    Here I was assuming you didn't have an open HDMI on your tv.

My bad.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    How long 'til some Korean dude gets a heart attack from playing this 72 hours straight?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    How long 'til some Korean dude gets a heart attack from playing this 72 hours straight?
    If you had the under, youd have already won.

I know what story youre referencing and I am pretty sure the young man was playing SC1 in some cafe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could you explain why??

2GB RAM

Recommended doesn't mean "to play on max settings"

Recommended statistic are listed to ensure you can play the game at a comfortable frame rate with moderately high settings.

I have a quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a 4870 with 512 mb of ram (actually a better card than the 5770 at medium resolutions) and there is no way I can push the settings even close to maximum. Medium high is what I run. The game still looks phenomenal, but you'd need a SERIOUS rig to push BC2 to it's max. Budget systems won't do it.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Recommended doesn't mean "to play on max settings"

Recommended statistic are listed to ensure you can play the game at a comfortable frame rate with moderately high settings.

I have a quad core with 4 gigs of ram and a 4870 with 512 mb of ram (actually a better card than the 5770 at medium resolutions) and there is no way I can push the settings even close to maximum. Medium high is what I run. The game still looks phenomenal, but you'd need a SERIOUS rig to push BC2 to it's max. Budget systems won't do it.
    ah ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who bought the game, and how is it so far?
    Pretty bad ass and exceeded my high expectations. SC 1 was the best RTS ever made imo and I was a god damn Westwood studios fan; and this looks to be even better. Blizzard has yet to disappoint when it comes to their games imo.

Didn't expect SC2 to be anywhere near as cinematic and immersive as it has been which was an unexpected surprise (although Blizzard games usually have been pretty awesome when it comes to storytelling, just didn't expect this much!). The gameplay's damn fun as well and multiplayer-wise it seems pretty balanced.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have everything running on ultra and it's nice. As for the game it's great, I started playing it and it felt amazingly natural to get back into StarCraft, but I don't play RTS online, I’m afraid I would get owned.

Thread Information