Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, that's the blurriest photo I've ever seen.

Anyway, just got done playing a skirmish against the computer. Wow, they changed a lot about how the Zerg operates. This little laptop handles the game beautifully... everything runs on high or ultra settings with no slowdown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your mom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody playing lately? I'm in platinum league for 3v3s and almost platinum for 1v1s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody playing lately? I'm in platinum league for 3v3s and almost platinum for 1v1s
    I'm playing almost daily. I suck (no, really, I still am getting used to the units and how they all work with each other), although I did hold my own against a platinum last night. I just need to get better with my micro in battles.

If anyone wants, ask for it here and I'll PM you my battle.net email address and we can rumble. You'll probably kick my ass, but I'll learn quickly.

I was never very good at SC1 because I didn't devote much time to learning it. This game might be a little different though. I intend to actually get good at it.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 08-24-2010 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will do more than tempt you. Look at how powerful and flexible the Starcraft II custom game editor/engine is.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/30/ga...d-custom-maps/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will an old Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT be enough? That's all I got for now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will an old Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT be enough? That's all I got for now.
    As long as it's 128mb+ you should be able to run it fine.

The Geforce 240 GT is $49 right now after rebate on newegg, if you're interested in a pretty decent upgrade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as it's 128mb+ you should be able to run it fine.

The Geforce 240 GT is $49 right now after rebate on newegg, if you're interested in a pretty decent upgrade.
    Yeah I believe it's 512mb. I don't think I have enough power supply to support any of the new cards though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I believe it's 512mb. I don't think I have enough power supply to support any of the new cards though.
    The 240 is super low power consumption, but the 7600 should be fine for SCII on medium-low settings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Played in my first placement match tonight... and won it! Toss vs toss, he rushed, and I had just enough units to hold him off. Literally 1 zealot left after his initial push.

But at the same time he was rushing, I was defending and teching. I got 4 void rays, a handful of stalkers, and some zealots (2 stargates and 3 gateways fed by 2 Nexuses), and by the time his 3rd/4th wave hit, he couldn't even slow my units down, as he went all zealots and had nothing but a couple of cannons (cannons while rushing!?) to slow down my void rays. 12 minutes in, and I'm 1-0 in placement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game is phenomenal. Just phenomenal. I can't believe how much I've improved in just 5-6 days.

Last night one of my games was actually webcast via www.livestream.com/screddit

I played another bronze player and got wiped, but then watched as he humiliated the other people he played against as well, and he even beat a gold, I think.

For those that don't know, or are scared to try SC for fear of being destroyed, there is a very intelligent head-to-head progression that allows you to ease into the game.

You get 50 practice matches to warm your SC chops up with, which also slows the game down to a more manageable level and gives you rocks to defend your base from early rushes.

After the 50 games, or whenever you opt out, you get 5 placement matches, against people of varying skill levels.

After that, it places you in a group and division (think sports divisions with 1-A, 2-A, 3-A, and so forth) that is roughly representative of your skill level.

Copper/Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond, in order of skill from the least experienced to the most.

This allows a relatively smooth progression into more advanced strategies and tactics while at the same time pushing you to be better. Bronze players like myself might suck now, but the meta-game has evolved so far that even some average bronze players today would have absolutely destroyed some of the best veterans 10 years ago.

Last night I lost two matches, but then finally started to get the hang of unit progression, base expansion, etc., and dominated my third match. I'm 28/100 in my bronze league, so maybe I'll be moving up to silver in a couple of days.

Still, it's very humbling when you see how efficient even silver and gold players are at this game, to say nothing of the ridiculous mul asking that some of my diamond-level friends are capable of.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Hotkeys are key.

Thus, the reason I never could excel at RTS games. I dont type.

What are some of those uber-players hitting these days, anyway? 200 actions-per-minute? 300 APM?

Un-Godly, I am sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hotkeys are key.

What are some of those uber-players hitting these days, anyway? 200 actions-per-minute? 300 APM?

Un-Godly, I am sure.
    It varies, but yes it's pretty insanely high. I don't know the highest right now, but I know upper-tier diamond players are averaging 160 or so. Some people are in the 200 range. I don't know of anyone that's approaching 300, though. On the other hand, I know a (650) diamond who doesn't go much about 80 except in rare cir stances.

Right now I'm averaging about 60.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am officially getting the hang of this game.

After starting 11-14, I am now on a 5 game winning streak, and none of the games were really close. I have beaten three opponents who are "favored" over myself, and at no point in the past 5 matches has my base even been threatened. In fact, the last game I played against a Zerg, the final unit kill count was 107 to 6, in my favor. He attempted to Nydus me, and when it failed he had nothing but zerglings and a few roaches against a huge group of my stalkers, colossi, and void rays.

I now have around 60 matches under my belt, if you include practice, and I would say that I'm just now getting out of complete noobdom. But oh man, is this game amazing when you really get used to the mul asking and consistent unit production. There's so much control over what you can do, and how you can hit your opponent in ways he doesn't expect.

Strangely, the "highs" of this game aren't as overpowering as LoL, but they are much more consistent. With LoL, there is a pretty big delay between starting the game up and when you really start to play... much less of that here. Only in the first two minutes when your probes/drones/scvs are getting the basic minerals out is there a lull. After that, it's build a gateway/rax/spawning pool, make another probe, build a pylon, make another probe, build an vespene harvester, tech up, start rolling your army out, etc.

The progression is starting to feel natural, and it's very addictive.

For those that know a little about Starcraft or RTS games in general... you can appreciate how good this game is. Not the best I've seen, but it's really, really freaking entertaining. These are two Korean diamond players going at it, and I recommend it to anyone who wonders if they'd like SC. If this replay blows your mind, you need to start playing this game:

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Yfm...watch_response

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUJ5YEq2K5M

As a warning, if you've never played an RTS before, SCII will be the hardest game you've ever played. But the challenge is one to be savored.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have won 11 of my last 12 games, and all of them have been blowouts, with the exception of the loss, where I was 6 pooled and barely missed out on having an extra zealot there to contain the rush.

This game is absolutely amazing.

If you're really interested in improving, I HIGHLY recommend this video series, particularly this video to start off with:

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3732340/

It's excellent. It's interesting because his thoughts on this mirror exactly what I have been doing since I started to rapidly improve. Day9 phrases it extremely well and tells you why you should be issuing a lot of commands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use your workers to murder a 6 pool rush. Put half into harvesting still, which turns their threat to nil, while the other half attack move the zerglings. Keep pulling workers off the line as necessary. Workers will pwn an equal number of zerglings up to about 12-14, imo. Nice job on the win streak.

The same thing for proxy gate/cannon pushes near/in your base. Get workers to take down stuff as you build units. His economy is suffering too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use your workers to murder a 6 pool rush. Put half into harvesting still, which turns their threat to nil, while the other half attack move the zerglings. Keep pulling workers off the line as necessary. Workers will pwn an equal number of zerglings up to about 12-14, imo. Nice job on the win streak.

The same thing for proxy gate/cannon pushes near/in your base. Get workers to take down stuff as you build units. His economy is suffering too.
    Yeah, I contained the first wave without much of a problem, but then he hit me with 8 more and I couldn't keep enough workers alive. It was my own fault and I congratulated him on a well timed rush. Meh. I can afford losing to rushes once in a while if I am developing my macro. Right now I'm thinking I may go from bronze straight to gold. Would be pretty cool, but from what I've heard you can macro your way to diamond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I've noticed a lot of players doing at my level is sitting around waiting for minerals to build an army with.

This should NEVER happen.

After the 4 minute mark of a game or so, I am never not doing 2-3 things at once, and that's at a minimum.

My thought train always goes, "Okay I need more workers. Now I need to warp another pylon in. While that's going on I have enough mins for another gateway, so I'll throw that down. Now I need another worker, chronoboosted. Micro my probe to scout around his base... is he rushing? Nope, he's teching to siege tanks or air. Great, don't need to worry about an early push, I can tech against him with Colossus or more stalkers and maybe some phoenix/void rays. Okay my cyb core is done time to start researching warp gate. Okay that's started, now I'll make some stalkers and crhonoboost them. Okay, need more workers. Another pylon. Gotta move my units out of my base to do some local scouting, and while that's happening I have 520 minerals so it's time to expand to a second base. More workers, chronoboost. Another stalker. Warp gate is done, time to put that down for my gateways. More workers for the new Nexus. Time to throw down a Robotics Bay. Check to make sure that I've got saturation at my first base -- yep, it's oversaturated so I can take some workers to my new Nexus. More stalkers and maybe an extra zealot. Okay now I have the nexus in and can start mining my second base. My robotics bay is in, let's make an observer. Need another pylon, so I'll warp in two. More stalkers, chronoboost them."

It's this kind of constant doing that has taken me from struggling to win every game to blowing out my compe ion. Day9 keeps it basic, but to a newbie to Starcraft, it may not seem natural, necessary, or even possible to co-ordinate commands and unit building while in battles that well. But as you learn, you realize how valuable even a few seconds are. Indeed, that's how I lost my game against the early Zerg rush... I messed up my build order by a few seconds, but it was the difference between having 8/10ths of my first zealot being made when he hit me, and being nearly done with my second. Two zealots would have one that game for me. Just barely getting one in lost it. But once you commit to learning a solid build strategy, it's AMAZING how quickly it becomes natural to just take action. Build a building, scout, more workers, more units, pylons, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Looks like I spoke too early, DR. There are people who do average around 400 APM. Unbelievable. Some of that is spamming, especially at the beginning of the match, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I actually enjoy players who cheese with zerglings when they only send their first 6 or at most, 8. You lose maybe 3 workers and have soldiers pouring out to counter the next attack. Usually a quick expo follow up puts you miles ahead economically, or even a counter assault with your own basic units. If you're teching and hold em off, one usually has the game won at tier 2 units.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hotkeys are key.

This. If you want to be good at RTS, hotkey everything. I could never get good but I wasn't crap either. I just never bothered to hotkey anything. This is probably the number one thing that seperates a great player vs a poor player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pc players/console

any of you guys game on a +50inch lcd or plasma?

i got a ps3 thinkn of whether i should hook it up to the plasma, or just buy a 24inch pc monitor use it for both pc and ps3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pc players/console

any of you guys game on a +50inch lcd or plasma?

i got a ps3 thinkn of whether i should hook it up to the plasma, or just buy a 24inch pc monitor use it for both pc and ps3
    Ps3 and computer both look great on a big TV, provided you can handle the resolution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am officially silver level, after beating gold/silver opponents for a solid week, they've promoted me.

Game still improving. My goal now is to stay busy making units and building all the time, and to micro in battle a little better. Gotta learn the stalker blink, damnit!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, nice. I am 3 in Bronze, have been top 10, even 5 for quite a while. Perhaps soon I'll move up (if I have time - school and work getting intense).

Thread Information