Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lil'mo used to be a bad ass at SC. He owned our school. Until I bought the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no clue how anyone can even compare the two games' graphics (SC vs SC2). b.net was down for an hour or so early this morning and I played a couple games of SC1 for s and giggles and goddamn that was an eyesore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does the population on battle.net look these days for SC 1?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, I don't think he's an idiot, it just sounds like he hasn't spent much time with the game yet.
    Yeah okay, I guess I'll buy that.

And he does have a point about positioning. Starcraft II is much more frenetic and tactical, whereas Brood War was a drawn out strategic battle. I can see why some pros would stay with BW, as it's a completely different feel.
    But SC1 was always tactical. It's just so much easier to micro effectively now.

I think what really sets SCII apart, and how it will distinguish itself in the long run, is how incredibly easy it is for a non-gamer to watch and still get an idea of what's happening. My g/f went to the MLG Championships in D.C. with me, and even though she'd never played a game of SC, she could still definitively tell at almost any point who was ahead in a match, who was doing positive things, and what the general flow of action was. That was almost impossible with Brood War, even with good commentary. I think Blizzard put a lot of thought into making SCII an actual spectators sport, rather than one that only gamers can really understand or enjoy.

I also find the more intuitive building structures and unit AI makes SCII much more of a joy to play than BW does. It's not a struggle to do everything anymore. Everything feels relatively seamless.
    Oh God. I would've paid $120 for SC1 with this engine happily, no joke. I'm actually very surprised that there isn't a SC:BW BGH map in the top 10 custom games.

I knew a lot of people who were pissed that SC2 wasn't just a patch for SC1. I wonder how many of them have come around to appreciating SC2?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah okay, I guess I'll buy that.

But SC1 was always tactical. It's just so much easier to micro effectively now.

Oh God. I would've paid $120 for SC1 with this engine happily, no joke. I'm actually very surprised that there isn't a SC:BW BGH map in the top 10 custom games.

I knew a lot of people who were pissed that SC2 wasn't just a patch for SC1. I wonder how many of them have come around to appreciating SC2?
    Honestly, I feel like the improvements they made to the game engine is going to prove out to be the thing that sustains Starcraft II in the long run. People have been complaining about balance, but Blizzard is simply THE best gaming company on the planet when it comes to making it's gamers happy. They are not going to stop tweaking SCII for the next decade. To say nothing of the possible changes/improvements HotS or LotV can potentially bring to this game.

One thing I would to see is larger 1 v 1 maps with slightly more constricted areas. It would give it a feel similar to BW. The only problem with that is that certain units are SO fast. The larger the map, the more dominant mutalisks and by extension the Zerg become. I think if Protoss can possibly get any viable air units, it would change things though, but as it is muties just rule the air.

Having said that, I'm starting to make Phoenixes now and I can say that in limited numbers they are quite lethal. Their ability to just completely remove a particular enemy during combat is insanely valuable, and they dominate everything in air except maybe vikings.

I've also started to play Terran in 2 v 2. I'm going to play Zerg in 3 v 3 just so I can become accustomed to both races and possibly change over in the future.

For now though, hanging on to my #2 gold rank. From here, I've just got to improve my scouting/general awareness, and then I think I'm ready for Platinum status.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cry havoc definitely belongs in this forum

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I feel like the improvements they made to the game engine is going to prove out to be the thing that sustains Starcraft II in the long run. People have been complaining about balance, but Blizzard is simply THE best gaming company on the planet when it comes to making it's gamers happy. They are not going to stop tweaking SCII for the next decade. To say nothing of the possible changes/improvements HotS or LotV can potentially bring to this game.

One thing I would to see is larger 1 v 1 maps with slightly more constricted areas. It would give it a feel similar to BW. The only problem with that is that certain units are SO fast. The larger the map, the more dominant mutalisks and by extension the Zerg become. I think if Protoss can possibly get any viable air units, it would change things though, but as it is muties just rule the air.

Having said that, I'm starting to make Phoenixes now and I can say that in limited numbers they are quite lethal. Their ability to just completely remove a particular enemy during combat is insanely valuable, and they dominate everything in air except maybe vikings.

I've also started to play Terran in 2 v 2. I'm going to play Zerg in 3 v 3 just so I can become accustomed to both races and possibly change over in the future.

For now though, hanging on to my #2 gold rank. From here, I've just got to improve my scouting/general awareness, and then I think I'm ready for Platinum status.
    I think my scouting and general awareness is fine, just flub 1/4 of my openings. I do go random however. I still don't have a zerg or terran opening down. Haven't played ladder in a couple weeks however, my rank has fallen from gold #1 to 7, I think.

I always feel cheated when I get some phoenix. I run into masses of infantry with no big units, or it's colossus/thor/ultra + infantry.

Fun to snipe queens or harass expansions though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Annnnnd finally. After a long stay at #1 rank in my Gold division, I finally got the pop-up:

You have been promoted to Platinum.

So psyched. It's nothing special, but I am still proud of the accomplishment. I am now in the top 20% of all Starcraft players.

Ranked 3rd, too, so perhaps I will be heading to diamond very shortly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I read was something about vagina cables.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been platinum 2v2 for a bit. I actually beat a top200 2v2 player with the help of a diamond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been platinum 2v2 for a bit. I actually beat a top200 2v2 player with the help of a diamond.
    Get to plat 1v1 then, noob.

J/k

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    damn already so high CryHavoc? thats nice.... you should enter the online tournaments they got.... some of them offer decent prizes :P

i havent touched SC2 much... logged in maybe once or twice since October.... the UMS community is not as interesting now. i liked the old system better.

league of legends has taken up 90% of all my gaming time. the other 10% was fallout new vegas which i finally completed on Sunday and dead rising 2 which i am not even halfway done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've played maybe 3 1v1 games in my last 25. I got my xbox repaired finally and its taking my extra time right now.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have a load of research projects im doing this semester, so i cant touch anything until august

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Promoted to Platinum 1v1 last night after I beat a diamond. I've been using a 3 roach/lots of spedling rush vs. P that's almost like the Zerg 4gate. Nearly impossible for P to stop that early - they usually have maybe 1 zealot and 1 stalker at the most when 3 roaches, my spotting overlord, and the lings start arriving. I win about 9/10 times against toss using this rush on small maps; unlless they scout it, they have to pull workers to defend always, and even if they scout it, they might have to do a hard wall off or at least get photons. If I see they're transitioning to a defensive game, I quickly expand and contain with the units I already have.

Some Master-level P are saying this build is overpowered. It even worked flawlessly in a FFA on Lost Temple against a diamond while still allowing me to transition to a decent midgame and defend myself from a humongous army some turtle on the other side of the map had been 2basing to build.

I'm so tired of Terran, though. Like everything else, it's just so hard to pull off anythign easy against them. This rush ALMOST works on Terran every time, but it's always too hard smashing the wall and killing enough SCV's to finish the job and put yourself considerably ahead. They always just MULE their right back into the game while my eco has suffered terribly just to basically harass.

Terran is just a tad bit OP IMO. They need to make ions cost gas and increase some of their structure's build times so they can't tech so quick. Lowering the Thor's damage vs. ground would be an awesome bonus, too, since the Siege tank already does ridiculous damage against armored and they have marauders.
    Last edited by z0sa; 02-13-2011 at 03:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrans just have too many good units, that's as simple as it gets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. I've been playing FFA as random so I can get a break from zerg without losing points, regain some perspective on the races, and just around. Terran just seems so much ... easier for some reason. Mass marine and marauder works decent against everything in the first 10 minutes of play. Expanding is easy usually, but if you are getting pressured you can simply get a planetary fortress at your natural which, combined with a few units and SCV's repairing, will allow you to hold your expansion essentially every time.

As a zerg player, I can tell you it jsut requires more actions per minute for both protoss and zerg to pull the same off. Terran is basically the attack-move and expand/turtle race. Too easy for Terran to hold off pushes early and micro huge forces late.

But, it's only a tad bit unbalanced. Definitely not something diamonds would probably be affected by most games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gratz to z0sa for making diamond.

I'm still in plat, as a result of only playing maybe ~20 games over the past month. Very busy with moving and such. But my push to diamond will start today! I'm going to be playing a lot more and trying to get a bit more experience and feel.

And z0sa, I want a rematch against you. F your mutas. :P

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx havoc. Funny you mention the mutas; I just played a diamond Protoss who called that same army comp I used vs. you (muta/ling/bling/infestor @ 15-16 minute mark w/ lots of muta harass on their probes all the way til) cheesy and that its imba with the new infestors. Every protoss I play who doesn't 4gate hates that build. Ty Blizzard for the Infestor buff. fungal growth on workers + a few mutas = a lot of dead probes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty tech heavy (for zerg). I think you'd be vulnerable to early pressure with lots of stalkers/sentries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, that's assuming that the Toss scouts well. I scout horribly, one of the main reasons I'm in plat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking a third ~10 minutes (as Z) will allow you plenty of gas. It's an ultra fast 3rd but it takes an a near all-in from protoss to actually GG the zerg player that early.

Lings are a total mineral dump, mutas are only 100 gas each (6 geysers can technically support 100 of them + 200 banelings total given enough time), and you only need 2-3 infestors with the upgrade, so thats approximately 600 gas; which usually means they pop latest of all your attack units.

Depends on the map though, of course. It's a tougher build on a few maps where the 3rd is either tough to hold (Scrap Station) or is non-existent (IE, shared by another spawn location, such as Slag Pits or ST). When we played on Kulas Ravine, I managed 4 bases pretty easily due to the side of that map being easily defended when spawned at cross positions. You got three easily, too, which is more than enough for a P. So it all depends on the map.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking a third ~10 minutes (as Z) will allow you plenty of gas. It's an ultra fast 3rd but it takes an a near all-in from protoss to actually GG the zerg player that early.

Lings are a total mineral dump, mutas are only 100 gas each (6 geysers can technically support 100 of them + 200 banelings total given enough time), and you only need 2-3 infestors with the upgrade, so thats approximately 600 gas; which usually means they pop latest of all your attack units.

Depends on the map though, of course. It's a tougher build on a few maps where the 3rd is either tough to hold (Scrap Station) or is non-existent (IE, shared by another spawn location, such as Slag Pits or ST). When we played on Kulas Ravine, I managed 4 bases pretty easily due to the side of that map being easily defended when spawned at cross positions. You got three easily, too, which is more than enough for a P. So it all depends on the map.
    I don't scout and I'm far too defensive. That's a bad combination. Basically I wait for a deathball but I don't develop counters to what my opponent is doing. Plus, any Zerg worth his salt will destroy you if you let him just drone up.

I will say that focusing on powering as a Toss, even if you lose games, will give you a better handle on macro. I can 3 base fairly easy now while keeping my resources low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty proud of this game. It took place a couple of months ago I think, but still. The two people under me (knn and wylie) were both diamond 1v1 and masters 2v2 players. I basically held off both of them by myself until my teammates took the entire upper half of the map, then I pushed with everything I could throw at them and smashed through their bases.

Thread Information