Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    a gaming PC rig for $500.

got a few questions though, spent a lot of time on google, couldn't really find an answer, so I'll ask on forums -

1) What is the best way to pick a great VGA cable for PC to HDTV while keeping great performance?

I plan to use a Proscan 32" HDTV as my monitor. It has a VGA PC outlet on the back of the TV, so I figure all I need is a regular VGA coaxial cable to run from PC--->TV.

But.... I was reading product reviews and people complain about some VGA cables saying that some do not support higher resolutions, even though your TV is capable of it... or don't auto-detect the type of TV you have....

2) What's the best UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for a HDTV + PC Gaming rig + Internet Modem?

My PC will run at about 250W (peak load)
    Not sure how much power the modem and HDTV will need?

As long as the UPS can support 1 HDTV, the PC, and 1 cable modem, and give me power for about 10 minutes, I am good to go.

Any recommendations?? I want to spend under $110 for it.

For anyone curious, my $500 cheap gamer rig will still be able to play whatever I want on max settings.

4 GB RAM
    2.9ghz triple core CPU AMD Athlon
    radeon hd 5750 1gb video card

I'm building this just for StarCraft 2, but I guess I will try WoW's Wrath of Lich King since I never played it, and Cataclysm I guess....and BioWare's The Old Republic when it comes out

any help thanks.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure you can't run anything you want on max settings on that rig. It'll run you Starcraft 2 no problem though

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    do you know how to pick a good VGA cable to use for PC-->HDTV and not lose performance??

google isnt helping

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do you know how to pick a good VGA cable to use for PC-->HDTV and not lose performance??

google isnt helping
    Im not sure what your asking as far as performance. Are you talking visual quality or actual frame rate?

If your talking frame rates.... there's a reason google isnt helping. The video cable isnt going to effect your frame rates... thats all on the video card.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    I'm talking video resolution

apparently, some cables don't allow the HDTV to operate on higher resolutions even though it's capable of it.....

have no idea how to pick the right one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes no sense to me. How would a VGA cable affect the resolution?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're probably better off using HDMI or DVI if it's available both on your card and your TV. VGA is an analog signal, prone to interference, which can degrade the quality of the video. Those two connection types will identify the available resolutions from the TV to the video card.

That said, VGA should be able to do that too if the TV supports sending DDC data, which most every device since pretty much the 90's does.

If the card is not letting you select a higher resolution that the TV supports, then it's the TV that doesn't want to support that resolution through VGA (or is not sending DDC data), not the cable.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buy a cheap cable and see if it works. If it doesn't, get something else. I can't imagine a VGA cable that couldn't do 1920x1080 (I assume that's what your TV is, that's as high as pretty much any tv is going to display) -- it isn't a super high resolution, but I guess anything's possible.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    You're probably better off using HDMI or DVI if it's available both on your card and your TV. VGA is an analog signal, prone to interference, which can degrade the quality of the video. Those two connection types will identify the available resolutions from the TV to the video card.

That said, VGA should be able to do that too if the TV supports sending DDC data, which most every device since pretty much the 90's does.

If the card is not letting you select a higher resolution that the TV supports, then it's the TV that doesn't want to support that resolution through VGA (or is not sending DDC data), not the cable.
    Buy a cheap cable and see if it works. If it doesn't, get something else. I can't imagine a VGA cable that couldn't do 1920x1080 (I assume that's what your TV is, that's as high as pretty much any tv is going to display) -- it isn't a super high resolution, but I guess anything's possible.

i'm going with this then. i'll buy a cheap one and see what happens.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And check the owner's manual if you have it or it's available online. They usually list the computer resolutions that the tv will display. It usually isn't a big deal on 1080p televisions, but many times on 720p sets the actual native resolution is 1366x768, so setting a computer to the usual 1280x720 will result in the picture's being noticeably smaller than the available screen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just makes no sense that VGA cable would be able to transmit one analog signal but not another.

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starcraft is the truth

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    well, i already ordered everything earlier today and it's all shipped

ended up buying a 600 watt UPS backup for my HDTV/PC/Modem setup

though ChumpDumper hit the nail on the head. the hdtv i got to use as a monitor is 720p/1080i, so the resolution will be 1360x768, which is plenty good enough.
    Last edited by MiamiHeat; 07-26-2010 at 11:15 PM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I'm talking video resolution

apparently, some cables don't allow the HDTV to operate on higher resolutions even though it's capable of it.....

have no idea how to pick the right one
    Well, very few 32" HDTV's are better than 720P (1280 x 720). If you want a gaming machine you need a monitor. At least a 1280 x 1024.

I just gave away two monitors last week. A 1280 x 1024 and a 1600 x 1200.

You are wasting that cards capability on a TV. Then i wonder... Will that 250 watt power supply support the cards peak power demands of over 100 watts...

That card has HDMI output. Why not use it?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure you can't run anything you want on max settings on that rig. It'll run you Starcraft 2 no problem though
    SC2 requirements are pretty damned low, as are WoW's. He might.

I'm using SC2 as an excuse for a new rig too.

Good luck with a 250w power supply...I went with a 550.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    where the did I say i bought a 250w power supply????

I said my PC would consume 250w of power at peak load, not that I bought a 250w power supply.

I bought an antec 500watt 80 plus certified power supply. and I was wrong earlier, my PC will run at about 320w, not 250w.

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Well, very few 32" HDTV's are better than 720P (1280 x 720). If you want a gaming machine you need a monitor. At least a 1280 x 1024.

I just gave away two monitors last week. A 1280 x 1024 and a 1600 x 1200.

You are wasting that cards capability on a TV.

That card has HDMI output. Why not use it?
    interesting. so the HDTV will actually be inferior to a monitor, unless i upgrade to top of the line HDTV 1080p??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really liking the single player mode, the story and game are very well done. I'm liking this much better then the beta.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    interesting. so the HDTV will actually be inferior to a monitor, unless i upgrade to top of the line HDTV 1080p??
    Is your TV a 720p or 1080i (or "p")?

If its 720p, yes, youre wasting your VGAs capability.

If its 1080, no.

Moreover, any video card worth its weight has a DVI or HDMI hook-up (or both). If your card only has a VGA output, its and its time for a new one.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I realize this card is manufactured by Sapphire, but I would have to think the outputs are the same across the spectrum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102859

It has 2 DVI outputs and one HDMI output.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So who bought the game, and how is it so far?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought it this morning but I won't be able to play in until tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game is very nice! I'm really enjoying it.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    starcraft is the truth in S.Korea
    fify

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Is your TV a 720p or 1080i (or "p")?

If its 720p, yes, youre wasting your VGAs capability.

If its 1080, no.

Moreover, any video card worth its weight has a DVI or HDMI hook-up (or both). If your card only has a VGA output, its and its time for a new one.
    Well, considering I have a 24" 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) monitor, I personally disagree. I would never limit my computer resolution to a TV. These babies are $400+ with only a few under $400.

My card will go the next higher standard. I've been thinking of getting a 2560 x 1600 (WQXGA) monitor. Haven't priced many yet. I know they are spendy. Cheapest 30" I've seen is $1200, and I've seen them past $2000.

Thread Information