Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Totally agree it's better than Suits. I watched Suits because my wife started it. And it was good for a few seasons. I think I quit after Season 3 or so.
    But once I started Mad Men, it seemed obvious that Suits used it as a template.
    I'm not sure that I'd put it ahead of Sopranos but it's close enough for the conversation.
    I think the template for Suits is probably closer to generic crime shows like CSI / Law & Order. They may have tried to borrow a bit from Mad Men / capitalize on people wanting the next thing in its wake though.

I've only watched the first season of Suits so far. It was barely watchable for the first few episodes and then it finally found it's stride. I haven't watched it all to give it a fair rating; but I doubt it's anywhere close to the top echelon.

I'm okay with someone rating Sopranos higher than Mad Men; but to me the latter is just sharper and very well done on the story and the cinematography as well as having top-flight acting (BCS the only one comparable on that front for me). Even little Sally Draper ended up being a great find in the final analysis. The boy not so much; but Glenn stepped in and filled that void.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    im still willing to put thrones in my top 3 despite the tier ending.
    Not me. I actually think that show could've been much better had it not gone with the fairy tale dragons and snow walker sh**.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 12-30-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think the template for Suits is probably closer to generic crime shows like CSI / Law & Order. They may have tried to borrow a bit from Mad Men / capitalize on people wanting the next thing in its wake though.

I've only watched the first season of Suits so far. It was barely watchable for the first few episodes and then it finally found it's stride. I haven't watched it all to give it a fair rating; but I doubt it's anywhere close to the top echelon.

I'm okay with someone rating Sopranos higher than Mad Men; but to me the latter is just sharper and very well done on the story and the cinematography as well as having top-flight acting (BCS the only one comparable on that front for me). Even little Sally Draper ended up being a great find in the final analysis. The boy not so much; but Glenn stepped in and filled that void.
    I don't think CSI/Law & Order are good comparisons. Neither really put any emphasis on the characters home lives or office politics.

Think about Mad Men and Suits...
    The main characters in each worked for partnerships and neither was initially a partner.
    Both were arguable the most talented person at their jobs.
    Both did things a little unconventionally.
    They both seemed to get all the chicks they wanted.
    Eventually, they both became partners.
    In both shows, there was the sexy redhead secretary that worked her way up to become a partner.
    Both had the young y guy that was always trying to move up.
    Both had a main character who had lied about his past and was always worried about it.
    Both shows involved the characters fighting for clients.

This is just the obvious and off the top of my head.

IMO, Suits was clearly inspired by MM. And for a few seasons, was pretty entertaining.

I don't see any real similarities to procedurals like Law and Order.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not me. I actually think that show could've been much better had it not gone with the fairy tale dragons and snow walker sh**.
    So omit the one thing that sold the show in the first place?

The fantasy aspect of it was not the problem with the show later on, it was obvious the writing.

It did well for itself right up to the part where the fat stopped the books. It then felt on Dennioff and Weiss to write the rest of the way and that did not end up well.

Without the white walkers and dragons, this show would have end up been just another political drama which is nothing special.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The fantasy aspect of it was not the problem with the show later on, it was obvious the writing.

It did well for itself right up to the part where the fat stopped the books. It then felt on Dennioff and Weiss to write the rest of the way and that did not end up well.

Without the white walkers and dragons, this show would have end up been just another political drama which is nothing special.
    Benioff

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks. I’m currently rewatching The Leftovers and kind of merged Benioff with an actual superior writer in Lindelof.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks. I’m currently rewatching The Leftovers and kind of merged Benioff with an actual superior writer in Lindelof.
    If you're a reader, I'd highly recommend his book, City of Thieves. I hate that the ended up doing screenplays because he seemed to be on the track for writing brilliant novels.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I don't think CSI/Law & Order are good comparisons. Neither really put any emphasis on the characters home lives or office politics.
    Maybe. It's probably closest to House M.D. A law background instead of a medicine background.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Think about Mad Men and Suits...
    The main characters in each worked for partnerships and neither was initially a partner.
    Both were arguable the most talented person at their jobs.
    Both did things a little unconventionally.
    They both seemed to get all the chicks they wanted.
    Eventually, they both became partners.
    In both shows, there was the sexy redhead secretary that worked her way up to become a partner.
    Both had the young y guy that was always trying to move up.
    Both had a main character who had lied about his past and was always worried about it.
    Both shows involved the characters fighting for clients.

This is just the obvious and off the top of my head.

IMO, Suits was clearly inspired by MM. And for a few seasons, was pretty entertaining.

I don't see any real similarities to procedurals like Law and Order.
    Checkmarks that a lot of shows try to hit.

The reality is Mad Men is about the story / character. Everything is perfectly put together in a running thread.
    Suits is much more of the traditional zany weekly adventure in which story points are often hastily plopped on and everything is perfectly wrapped up in a bow at the end.
    I'm not trying to trash suits; it's enjoyable. But it's almost akin to pop art vs. great art. Granted, I don't think that lowly of Suits. But I do think that highly of Mad Men. Suits is an assembly line production whereas Mad Men is meticulously hand crafted. I don't think there was any real effort to make Suits like Mad Men. I think they were happy to monetize the hubris of bad ass office men post Mad Men. Harvey Specter is basically a lawyer superhero who is 157-0 in court. Don Draper may be GOAT. But you see him have to go through struggles and losses and hit really tough times. It's like a comic book vs. a classic novel.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

I was liking the realms vs realms action well before the fantasy stuff was introduced. Perhaps some people prefer all that for their entertainment; but I don't think it really did much for the power of the story in the final analysis.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe. It's probably closest to House M.D. A law background instead of a medicine background.
    Not remotely. You’re trying too hard.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Not remotely. You’re trying too hard.
    Jaded tranny.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 01-01-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    trannies

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Suitcase episode is GOAT episode IMO. But this is a good video essay on a "perfect episode" that I may have already posted.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Suitcase episode is GOAT episode IMO. But this is a good video essay on a "perfect episode" that I may have already posted.

Keep trying.

It's like your self conversion therapy.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Keep trying.

It's like your self conversion therapy.
    Was watching a Suits episode last night. Someone pissed on the Office chair and blamed it on the cat.
    Same thing happened on House M.D. Yup.

Self conversion therapy? Is that your latest thing you tell yourself to overcome the desire to wear dresses?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Tell me about it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Was watching a Suits episode last night. Someone pissed on the Office chair and blamed it on the cat.
    Same thing happened on House M.D. Yup.

Self conversion therapy? Is that your latest thing you tell yourself to overcome the desire to wear dresses?
    Whats with the random tangent to start your post that ended up predictably where it did: about guys you’re into.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Whats with the random tangent to start your post that ended up predictably where it did: about guys you’re into.
    at "random trangent". That was the 'shot' you fired in the first place.

SMH. Today's tranny.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Thread Information