Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Silly arguments and pissing contests aside, "Mad Men" is one of the best/smartest shows currently on television. Whatever your reason for skipping the first three seasons, I'd suggest it's worth your time to give it a shot.

I believe in yesterday Zelophehad's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    We're not talking about some ty canned show like The Closer. We're talking about very well written, realistic dramas that are great shows regardless of the language being used.

To refuse to watch a show like Mad Men or Breaking Bad because the word is edited out is about as goddamn re ed as it gets, especially since Breaking Bad is better than any show on HBO right now.
    Well, I disagree with balli on basic cable shows. I like Cable shows like The Shield which was awesome for instance, but on Cable they can say and and deal more freely with adult subjects. I also watched every episode of 24 which managed to be hard edged despite the language due to the plot lines. But cursing definitely improves a show/movie. Take any crime/gangster show on basic TV and compare it to Goodfellas, The Sopranos, The Shield, or The Wire etc

What I'm talking about is shows like Law & Order which I watch occasionally on re-runs since each episode is self contained. The interrogation scenes are pretty laughable sometimes dude to censor constraints. Even 24 has to use the constant threat that Bauer will kill someone to give the interrogation scenes any pop.

What's funny is that in The First 48, a reality show with real detectives, their language is actually pretty clean. So do you want reality, or the "reality" you enjoy because you get off by hearing the word ?
    You're going to destroy your own argument if you try to make the case that people don't curse in real life. Back track on this. Also, in cops shows they have these things called criminals, which curse the out of . Those cops probably don't curse because they're on TV, or they might be two people who don't but tons of cops do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I generally only watch HBO and Showtime shows but that's only because I don't like to have to follow 40 shows at once, plus I like to illegally download and watch classic shows I never had the chance to see when they were on like Larry Sanders, Fawlty Towers, Freaks and Geeks, and whatever else I discover out there. Not to mention movies, books, and outdoor activities.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For those of you that don't watch Mad Men, you're making a huge huge mistake.

I hear you guys on how these shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) coulda/shoulda been on HBO but you gotta give AMC credit for going 2/2 on original programming so far.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    For those of you that don't watch Mad Men, you're making a huge huge mistake.

I hear you guys on how these shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) coulda/shoulda been on HBO but you gotta give AMC credit for going 2/2 on original programming so far.
    I wasn't feeling the Rubicon series...perhaps i'll have to let it grow before liking it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    lol how the do you have two opposites in one picture.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I wasn't feeling the Rubicon series...perhaps i'll have to let it grow before liking it.
    It doesn't properly premiere till August 1st, and it doesn't look too appealing to me either. My point was thatAMC started off great focusing on story when they could have easily opted for the TNT drama garbage, and I think both Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than any show that currently airs on HBO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Speaking of HBO this upcoming gangster show from Martin Scorsese and one of the main guys from The Sopranos looks incredible:

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Don Draper isn't a real person. He's a fictional character. He is a y arrogant man but he's good at what he does. He's a good ad man and good at pleasing women. TV shows on AMC can say anything except " ". Besides, it's basic cable. The only time I've heard " " on basic cable is sometimes late at night on Comedy Central when they show movies or comedy specials.

Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    The girl that Cooper and Jane set Don Draper up was the business. She was way better looking than Betsy
    Except that she's not. She was pretty enough but Betty Draper (particularly in the first 2 seasons) is the hottest on the show. imo, betty>>jane>>new girl easy.

and regarding the whole basic network show's can't work argument, assholes with that line of thought are the reason that the NBC Kingpin series was cancelled way too soon. It has got to stand as one of the most underrated programs aired on regular cable and coulda been so great. and it didn't feel very limited by the restrictions like most other's. A real damn shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPq3Z8-JSM

Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    things are getting interesting

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    What about the lovely Faye? She has to be up there with Joan and Betty. I have a feeling that Don Draper is gonna have his way with Faye. There is a lot of sexual tension between them. WTF was up with Sally masturbating? And why Betty such a to Sally? I can understand her being that way toward Don but Sally is her daughter.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    What about the lovely Faye? She has to be up there with Joan and Betty. I have a feeling that Don Draper is gonna have his way with Faye. There is a lot of sexual tension between them. WTF was up with Sally masturbating? And why Betty such a to Sally? I can understand her being that way toward Don but Sally is her daughter.
    it really hurts my eyes & slows my brain to read such ^ TBH.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol how the do you have two opposites in one picture.

Two opposites?

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    Name
    mark h
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    Betty was a to Sally LONG before she and Don split. I think it's because she and her own mother had such a ty relationship. She doesn't do the whole mommy/daughter thing very well.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Betty was a to Sally LONG before she and Don split. I think it's because she and her own mother had such a ty relationship. She doesn't do the whole mommy/daughter thing very well.
    She likely also resents her for being a Daddy's girl like herself even though he was never around when they were together. The therapist insisting Betty see one as well was pretty funny.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Can't speak for everyone, but I don't personally know any women who view either character in such simplistic terms. Or men. They're both pretty ed up characters.
    Same here. And although I sympathized with her a bit when she caught wind of what was going on, her behavior towards her daughter through the last two seasons has really turned me off to her character. Particularly when she slapped her for cutting her hair, the reason being her school pictures and what the neighbors think. No concern for WHY the child did it, just for what others will think. Makes me ill.

I think she needs the counseling more than her daughter. I mean, she was there to talk to the psychiatrist about her daughter and made it all about her! I wanted to slap her!

And, am I stupid or is her name Betty or Betsy? Please tell me I haven't been watching four seasons of this show and never knew her name was Betsy? I thought it was Elizabeth, Betty for short?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oh, and speaking of AMC, I haven't watched Rubicon yet but it seems like it's had mixed reviews from people I know. I will still likely catch the pilot sometime to see what the fuss is about.

Also, they have a new drama premiering on Halloween: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/08/...-dead-trailer/

At first I thought AMC doing zombies would be lame but this isn't the usual gory zombiefest, it looks like we might get some actual character development here. Never read the comic books it is based on but I will at least give this one a few episodes and see what it's like.

And I give AMC props for going there. It's vastly different from their other original programming. Someone there has some brass balls.

Name
    mark h
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks

And, am I stupid or is her name Betty or Betsy? Please tell me I haven't been watching four seasons of this show and never knew her name was Betsy? I thought it was Elizabeth, Betty for short?

People who are casual acquaintances tend to call her Betty, but I do remember Don calling her Bets'. Both Betty and Betsy are diminuatives of Elizabeth.

Betty is really no better than Don in her own way. She went out and had some casual revenge sex in the cloakroom of that bar after she found out about Don' affairs, and she was definitely shopping for Mr. Betty #2 long before Don's secret was forced out. An episode or two ago, when Don was talking to Anna, he said that he knew that it was going to be over the minute Betty found out he was essentially a Hillybilly nobody. Don was no prince, but Betty is extremely class conscious, and I think she would have dumped him without any affairs on the table. YMMV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    saw the pilot. im definetely going to try and knock out a season this week.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Also, they have a new drama premiering on Halloween: http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/08/...-dead-trailer/

At first I thought AMC doing zombies would be lame but this isn't the usual gory zombiefest, it looks like we might get some actual character development here. Never read the comic books it is based on but I will at least give this one a few episodes and see what it's like.

And I give AMC props for going there. It's vastly different from their other original programming. Someone there has some brass balls.
    I'm hugely looking forward to "The Walking Dead." I haven't had the chance to read very much of the comics, but what little I've read is fantastic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    People who are casual acquaintances tend to call her Betty, but I do remember Don calling her Bets'. Both Betty and Betsy are diminuatives of Elizabeth.

Betty is really no better than Don in her own way. She went out and had some casual revenge sex in the cloakroom of that bar after she found out about Don' affairs, and she was definitely shopping for Mr. Betty #2 long before Don's secret was forced out. An episode or two ago, when Don was talking to Anna, he said that he knew that it was going to be over the minute Betty found out he was essentially a Hillybilly nobody. Don was no prince, but Betty is extremely class conscious, and I think she would have dumped him without any affairs on the table. YMMV.
    OK, I know about Betts but not Betsy. Either way ...

I agree about Betty being just as bad, in a different way. I started to hate her in that one scene (I think it was last season) where her daughter was playing at her makeup table and Betty bent over to put on her lipstick and didn't even acknowledge her. It was a very short but poignant scene, I thought. Her being in the presence of her daughter and yet not even looking at her. I've pretty much despised the character ever since.

The last episode was great, setting up a fake commercial shoot. Makes me want to cheer for Don for the first time ever.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I've never liked Betty as a character. I have at times sympathized with her, of course, because regardless whether or not I like her it's not fun to find out your husband's been cheating on you, but have never seen her as a wholly sympathetic character. She's got the emotional maturity of a 2-year-old.

Don, on the other hand, has always struck me as a character who is flawed, but is at his core a pretty decent guy. He's an asshole, unquestionably, but not evil, which is a big distinction.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If he could be like he is around Anna all the time, he wouldn't be such an asshole. But I am not sure he can be that way and still be in the advertising game. If anyone is going to help him do that though (since Anna will presumably be dead soon, if not already), it would be Peggy. He has been equal parts fatherly and callous asshole to her, but they seem to really care about each other. When she tried on Faye's ring during that focus group a couple of episodes ago, the way he looked at her, and how she popped her head over the office walls to check on him ... lots of little things like that make me think she will help redeem him in some way or another.

I've always thought he was a bas , but this season I want to root for him. Bigtime.

Name
    mark h
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    Peggy is my absolute favorite character on the show, and also the one that's grown and changed the most.

Peggy: I have a boyfriend.
    Friend: He doesn't own your vagina!!
    Peggy: No, but he's renting it.

Funt, I've always thought of Betty as a petulant little girl, a case of arrested development. I think her parents fostered that, that she was a product of the era.

Mel, I'm not sure his behavior around Anna is anything other than her knowing exactly who and what he is, and accepting him, anyway. If he had that, he could be happier and an Ad Man supreme.

Thread Information