Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fantastic season 4 opener, it's great to see that this show hasn't missed a step after all these years.

Anyone else a big fan?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I won't watch TV dramas unless they're on HBO, because commercial interruptions are an absolute joke and people say ' ' in the real world. A lot.

That said, tonight's episode was the first time I've ever watched Mad Men and I really enjoyed it. I'll probably keep watching; depending on how it goes, I'll catch up on seasons 1-3.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    shame this and breaking bad arent on hbo for the reasons already listed. i havent seen mad men yet. too many seasons for me to catch up to but my that redhead looks good.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    One thing I noticed however is that although there's always been a big deal made about how Mad Men goes to great lengths to present authentic 1960's set designs, that bottle of Jameson they were using looked an awful lot like the one I pick up at the liquor store every other week.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    One thing I noticed however is that although there's always been a big deal made about how Mad Men goes to great lengths to present authentic 1960's set designs, that bottle of Jameson they were using looked an awful lot like the one I pick up at the liquor store every other week.
    I'd be lying if I claimed to know for sure, but I'd be very surprised if the Jameson bottle has changed significantly between 1964 and now.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I would like to have seen more of the hotel days of the new agency, but I guess they were anxious to show the Time-Life building set.

Still good TV.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i won't watch tv dramas unless they're on hbo, because commercial interruptions are an absolute joke and ...
    dvr.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I won't watch TV dramas unless they're on HBO, because commercial interruptions are an absolute joke and people say ' ' in the real world. A lot.
    So unless a show can say ' ' it's not realistic enough for you? Weird. I kept turning back to AMC off and on for the hour but only with the hopes that I'd catch a scene with..

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Now that's a woman.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    The girl that Cooper and Jane set Don Draper up was the business. She was way better looking than Betsy and she knew how to get Don's attention. Playing hard to get is what gets the narcissistic Draper off. This show is definitely worth checking out regardless of what channel it is on.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    So unless a show can say ' ' it's not realistic enough for you? Weird.
    I'm usually more interested in a well written and entertaining story, regardless of the language.

Does that apply to movies too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    tbh I'm still laughing at how boorish and knuckle-dragger a mentality like "I don't watch shows unless they say a lot" is.

I believe in yesterday Zelophehad's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Truthfully, any shows with criminals that doesn't include cursing is pretty laughable. But some basic cable shows can say and so that's better. I always laugh whenever I see some basic TV show and in the interrogation room and a hardened criminal tells a cop to "go take a hike" or "buzz off".

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    One of the most confusing things about this show is how women react to it.

Don Draper is a cheating husband, a terrible father, a total narcissist who changed his iden y as an adult to hide his past... and women love him.

But what's even more confusing is that not only do they forgive his morally vacuous behavior... when that behavior finally drives his wife away to the arms of another man who treats her with some semblance of respect, she's a ! I have yet to talk to any woman that watches this show who has any sympathy for Betsy Draper.

What is wrong with you people?

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans

Don Draper is a cheating husband, a terrible father, a total narcissist who changed his iden y as an adult to hide his past... and women love him.

But what's even more confusing is that not only do they forgive his morally vacuous behavior... when that behavior finally drives his wife away to the arms of another man who treats her with some semblance of respect, she's a ! I have yet to talk to any woman that watches this show who has any sympathy for Betsy Draper.

Women say they want the all-good-man, but secretly desire the asshole...duh! That's been the way things have gone for eons...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    So unless a show can say ' ' it's not realistic enough for you?
    tbh I'm still laughing at how boorish and knuckle-dragger a mentality like "I don't watch shows unless they say a lot" is.
    Don't be literalist morons. I know thinking is routinely difficult for the for the both of you, especially you, CubanSucks, but at least try to wrap your feeble minds around an allegorical reference to: reality vs. not. Whether that entails usage of the word ' ' or something otherwise.

I believe in yesterday Zelophehad's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Don't be literalist morons. I know thinking is routinely difficult for the for the both of you, especially you, CubanSucks, but at least try to wrap your feeble minds around an allegorical reference to: reality vs. not. Whether that entails usage of the word ' ' or something otherwise.
    I agree with you, it's like people who whined about the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and said that it was over the top and too gory. That's the way happened. If you want gy, macho faux history war movies watch Marion Morrison aka John Wayne gung ho it up in any of those old movies.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

Can't speak for everyone, but I don't personally know any women who view either character in such simplistic terms. Or men. They're both pretty ed up characters.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    I agree with you, it's like people who whined about the beginning of Saving Private Ryan and said that it was over the top and too gory. That's the way happened. If you want gy, macho faux history war movies watch Marion Morrison aka John Wayne gung ho it up in any of those old movies.
    Seriously. It all depends on the context of the genre. When I sit down to watch a Pixar film, I don't expect the characters to act or talk like adults. When I watch a cop show, a drama, something adult that is going for realism, I do.

Like you said, is there anything more ridiculous than watching some foul mouthed NYPD detective tell someone to 'buzz off'. Basically, if you can watch that kind of totally unreal without being bothered or finding it utterly unrealistic, you must be an idiot or a laughably complacent media consumer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    realism in a war movie is completely different than refusing to watch non-HBO dramas because you know they won't say " ".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    We're not talking about some ty canned show like The Closer. We're talking about very well written, realistic dramas that are great shows regardless of the language being used.

To refuse to watch a show like Mad Men or Breaking Bad because the word is edited out is about as goddamn re ed as it gets, especially since Breaking Bad is better than any show on HBO right now.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    We're talking about very well written, realistic dramas that are great shows regardless of the language being used.
    Then WTF are you ing about when I started by saying I normally won't watch TV dramas on basic cable, but I'm making an exception for this one?

realism in a war movie is completely different than refusing to watch non-HBO dramas because you know they won't say " ".

Seriously. It all depends on the context of the genre. When I sit down to watch a Pixar film, I don't expect the characters to act or talk like adults. When I watch a cop show, a drama, something adult that is going for realism, I do.

And again, don't be so literal and re ed. Think an ounce below the surface for once. I'm not just talking about the word itself. That word was an example of something larger mono. Everything from language, to violence to thematic elements. If it's toned down for the sake of commercial sponsors, it's a joke.

Here: go learn something

lit·er·al·ism (ltr--lzm)
    1. Adherence to the explicit sense of a given text or doctrine.

1. Allegory is a figurative mode of representation conveying meaning other than the literal.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans

Like you said, is there anything more ridiculous than watching some foul mouthed NYPD detective tell someone to 'buzz off'. Basically, if you can watch that kind of totally unreal without being bothered or finding it utterly unrealistic, you must be an idiot or a laughably complacent media consumer.
    What's funny is that in The First 48, a reality show with real detectives, their language is actually pretty clean. So do you want reality, or the "reality" you enjoy because you get off by hearing the word ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I won't watch TV dramas unless they're on HBO, because ... people say ' ' in the real world. A lot.
    No, I guess that's not meant to be taken literally.

excuse me, I mean no, I ing guess that's not ing meant to be ing taken ing literally. Better? More realistic?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Silly arguments and pissing contests aside, "Mad Men" is one of the best/smartest shows currently on television. Whatever your reason for skipping the first three seasons, I'd suggest it's worth your time to give it a shot.

Thread Information