Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I think I was sold on The Wire pretty early, especially by these two scenes:

Yeah, I'm paying too much attention to the cops. Comparing them to the ensemble on Homicide is unfair.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I think I was sold on The Wire pretty early, especially by these two scenes:

I watched the first six or seven episodes. Somewhere down the line I'll probably finish it.
    But based on that, this show feels very over-rated.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    This popped into my feed...

“The Sopranos” (1999), it is generally agreed, is the show that kicked off what we know as the Golden Age. “Breaking Bad” — which started six months after “Mad Men” and ended two years earlier than “Person to Person” — marks the last show in the medium’s sudden transformation. Because “Mad Men” ended later — and because “Mad Men” ended, it felt, multiple times, with a protracted two-part goodbye where every scene felt like closure — it has the privilege and the curse of being the one to turn off the lights. At the point where “Mad Men’s” finale was slowly unfolding, it seemed bizarrely out of pace with the TV boom it had helped to spawn. While we were feverishly livetweeting it, the show seemed to move even more slowly, with a pooling energy that, looking back, is a close analogue to the bravura nothingness David Lynch displays in “Twin Peaks: The Return.” (Though the shows otherwise don’t have a lot in common, showrunner Matthew Weiner certainly has Lynch’s auteur aversion to spoilers, too.)
    “Mad Men” has had a long and lingering aftertaste. Several of its stars have done little else since the show ended, basking in post-finale glow, and yet the drama is already celebrating its 10th anniversary. But in its quiet aftermath — for while some shows end with a bang, “Mad Men” ended with cosmic infinity — it took something with it, and that’s what prompts me to call it the last great drama of that era. When “Mad Men” debuted it was still astonishing that dramas would make bad men their lead characters. By the time it ended, critics and audiences were lamenting the glut of antihero stories. “Breaking Bad” was a brilliant show, of course. “Mad Men,” with its finale, made shows like “Breaking Bad” seem obsolete — made nearly any show about an antihero seem obsolete. Don Draper was the last antihero, and unlike several of his predecessors who either died brutally or left the careers that rewarded their twisted souls, he somehow found his way to inner peace in time to (probably) go back to McCann Erickson and write what creator Matthew Weiner calls “the best ad ever made.” “Mad Men” was a remarkable show in so many ways — a deeply stirring show, in so many ways — but perhaps its highest achievement is that because it so thoroughly interrogated its characters and its premise, it functionally (and politely) made itself obsolete.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/mad-men-at-10-the-last-great-drama-of-tv-s-golden-age?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    You read a lot of girly sites. Get pocket?
    I assume they're just one of many tools Mozilla uses for filling their feeds.
    The article is Variety. And I'd expect it's based most specifically on my Mad Men views.
    Though if it were somehow a more general occurrence, I don't know why I should be bothered.
    You're trying too hard, tranny.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Watching this show for the first time before Netflix takes it off. Starting Season 7 now. I love this show.
    https://observer.com/2020/05/netflix...o-max-pea /

In its newsletter earlier this week, Netflix announced that Mad Men would be departing the service on June 9.
    Did you make it?

In its newsletter earlier this week, Netflix announced that Mad Men would be departing the service on June 9. The market-leading streamer, which initially made a deal with Lionsgate for the series in 2011 at roughly $1 million per episode, reportedly passed on extending the deal.
    For Seinfeld, Netflix reportedly paid more than the $500 million Universal Television dropped to reclaim The Office for Pea . WarnerMedia has s ed out $425 million for Friends, around $550 million for South Park, and roughly $600 million for The Big Bang Theory to hit HBO Max. These are likely the top of the market and the exception to the rule. But that doesn’t mean that Mad Men‘s value hasn’t more than doubled in the ensuing years.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah just wait until AMC does the same with Breaking Bad and to a lesser extent Walking Dead who nobody even watches anymore.

Im thinking about giving HBO my prime spot for a while and re-drop Netflix. Cant really have both.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Yeah just wait until AMC does the same with Breaking Bad and to a lesser extent Walking Dead who nobody even watches anymore.

Im thinking about giving HBO my prime spot for a while and re-drop Netflix. Cant really have both.
    That's what I'd do if so many people weren't hitched to my Netflix account.

I watched about seven or eight HBO series in 2020 and was slowing down, so I cut it 'til I get bored enough to renew. That may not be for months. I got Premier League soccer restarting and enough other stuff for now it seems. My favorite HBO show I watched recently was Six Feet Under. I would've watched it at the time had I realized it was that damn good.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    And thus how we end up with a SCAMDEMIC.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    After getting through the first episode halfway and giving up a couple of times, I finally decided to watch this thing based on what everyone said about it.
    Pretty close to 10/10. Maybe got into my top 5 shows of all time. The writing is as good as it gets.

I will say that Suits now seems to be a pretty obvious derivative of MM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    After getting through the first episode halfway and giving up a couple of times, I finally decided to watch this thing based on what everyone said about it.
    Pretty close to 10/10. Maybe got into my top 5 shows of all time. The writing is as good as it gets.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Some of the funniest moments were the things that were considered OK in the 60's. The time that Sally was playing in a cleaner's bag and the mom just asked her to keep it down.
    Or when they had the picnic and the mom just pulled the blanket out and left all the trash. And Don is chunking empty beer cans into the woods.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Some of the funniest moments were the things that were considered OK in the 60's. The time that Sally was playing in a cleaner's bag and the mom just asked her to keep it down.
    Or when they had the picnic and the mom just pulled the blanket out and left all the trash. And Don is chunking empty beer cans into the woods.
    yep, aside from the main plot and writing, the subtle commentary about the era is great throughout.

its not the most "exciting" show, more of a good consistent slow burn, but its really great

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yep, aside from the main plot and writing, the subtle commentary about the era is great throughout.

its not the most "exciting" show, more of a good consistent slow burn, but its really great
    I found myself getting tired of the home life and all the relationships between the husbands and wives. I guess it was important but I was way more interested in the office politics and the advertising element.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Suits does not hold a candle to Mad Men, tbh.

Arguably the best drama TV show of all-time. I'd rank it higher than Band Of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.

Push come to shove I'd probably put it ahead of The Sopranos too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Suits does not hold a candle to Mad Men, tbh.

Arguably the best drama TV show of all-time. I'd rank it higher than Band Of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul.

Push come to shove I'd probably put it ahead of The Sopranos too.
    Totally agree it's better than Suits. I watched Suits because my wife started it. And it was good for a few seasons. I think I quit after Season 3 or so.
    But once I started Mad Men, it seemed obvious that Suits used it as a template.
    I'm not sure that I'd put it ahead of Sopranos but it's close enough for the conversation.
    Last edited by SpursforSix; 12-30-2020 at 10:39 AM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Totally agree it's better than Suits. I watched Suits because my wife started it. And it was good for a few seasons. I think I quit after Season 3 or so.
    But once I started Mad Men, it seemed obvious that Suits used it as a template.
    I'm not sure that I'd put it ahead of Sopranos but it's close enough for the conversation.
    Sopranos really peaked in season 2, did it not? After that it was meh

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sopranos really peaked in season 2, did it not? After that it was meh
    Much like BB, Sopranos never let off, imo.

Aside from the minor deviation with the deadbeat son storylines, it’s top tier stuff, man.

In no order at all:
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad

Then it’s everyone else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    funniest about sopranos is re-watching S1E1 and hearing Tony's accent

the pilot was filmed 2 years before the reason of the season and he didnt really start working with an accent coach until later
    Last edited by spurraider21; 12-30-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    im still willing to put thrones in my top 3 despite the tier ending. i dont think that undoes years of it being among the most talked about cultural phenomena. definitely not the most consistently well put together series, but it was still something of a spectacle, and that still matters when it comes to TV entertainment

breaking bad
    the wire
    game of thrones
    sopranos
    mad men

(i still have not seen season 5 of better call saul)

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    im still willing to put thrones in my top 3 despite the tier ending. i dont think that undoes years of it being among the most talked about cultural phenomena. definitely not the most consistently well put together series, but it was still something of a spectacle, and that still matters when it comes to TV entertainment

breaking bad
    the wire
    game of thrones
    sopranos
    mad men

For me Game of Thrones is too topsy turvy to be in any top 5. Def top 10 but just below elite.

It had 4 great seasons, a weak one and 2 so-so seasons with a ty season 8 to cap it. Dexter is on the same boat for me. 1-4. Ok season 5 and laughably bad 6,7 and 8.

After you watch Better Call Saul season 5 you will bump out GOT from your top 5, guaranteed. It’s it’s best one yet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    For me Game of Thrones is too topsy turvy to be in any top 5. Def top 10 but just below elite.

It had 4 great seasons, a weak one and 2 so-so seasons with a ty season 8 to cap it. Dexter is on the same boat for me. 1-4. Ok season 5 and laughably bad 6,7 and 8.

After you watch Better Call Saul season 5 you will bump out GOT from your top 5, guaranteed. It’s it’s best one yet.
    it would bump mad men out if thats the case, as that's my #5

dexter season 1-4 was pretty great, but not at peak thrones level, not even close. peak thrones is about as good as anything

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

breaking bad
    the wire
    game of thrones
    sopranos
    mad men

This is pretty close to my list. Except for GOT. I liked it a lot but it became tiring for me. Maybe because I binged it.
    Better Call Saul would be the replacement in my Top 5. BB and The Wire are my clear 1 and 2 as well.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Much like BB, Sopranos never let off, imo.

Aside from the minor deviation with the deadbeat son storylines, it’s top tier stuff, man.

In no order at all:
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad

Then it’s everyone else.
    Most over-rated show of all-time from what I've seen.

Thread Information