13 32.50%
  • alien (1 or 2)

7 17.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    who wins best sci fi movie ever??

my vote is on blade runner. the complete package is way ahead of the others.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    If you want to talk about being way ahead of the others, then 2001 is the obvious choice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you want to talk about being way ahead of the others, then 2001 is the obvious choice.
    complete package, effects, acting, action, storyline. Blade Runner wins.

2001 was great but watching a ship moving from point A to B for 5-10 long minutes?? come on...

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Alien & Aliens are my preferred. Blade Runner is an amazing visual achievement, and I like the plot, but I've never been too connected with it. Star Wars is fun, but I could live the rest of my life without seeing it again. 2001 was good, but don't care to see it again.

Meanwhile, I own both Alien(s) films.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Blade Runner is the best movie of the options. I just prefer others.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alien would be my #2 easily.

2001 is too slow and star wars too cheesy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no total recall? when was last time u saw alien with 3 boobs?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Matrix probably deserves at least a consideration to be in this poll.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Aliens #1

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    2001. By far. The science in 2001 is amazingly accurate. Even the light show when the guy is traveling at near light speed is accurate since everything would warp visually like that. The fact that there is no sound in space, the fact that the rotating ship would be the only way to create gravity etc, etc.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    2001, isn't just the greatest science fiction movie of all time, it is one of the greatest films of all time period. I can't think of a single film more ahead of its time in cinematic history than 2001. It's pacing may not be comfortable for all, but on repeated viewings you truly see how brilliant the film really is. I still can't believe it came out over 40 years ago and yet has aged a of a lot better than any of the films in this poll. Every camera shot is capable of being a portrait that stands on its own.

I would rank the films in the poll in this order:

Blade Runner
    Aliens
    Star Wars (which only gets cheesier and cheesier as time passes)

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    2001, isn't just the greatest science fiction movie of all time, it is one of the greatest films of all time period. I can't think of a single film more ahead of its time in cinematic history than 2001. It's pacing may not be comfortable for all, but on repeated viewings you truly see how brilliant the film really is. I still can't believe it came out over 40 years ago and yet has aged a of a lot better than any of the films in this poll. Every camera shot is capable of being a portrait that stands on its own.

I would rank the films in the poll in this order:

Blade Runner
    Aliens
    Star Wars (which only gets cheesier and cheesier as time passes)
    +1.

Also, Alien(s) and Star Wars don't deserve consideration as "Science Fiction" films. Alien is one of my favorite films of all-time, but it's more horror than Sci-Fi, while Star Wars would be classified as a "Space Opera." Nothing really suggests those are Science Fiction in the traditional sense of the term besides the fact they're set in the future. Neither of those films even attempt to explore the role science and technology might play in shaping our future world and its ensuing consequences on humanity.

As for the list, Metropolis should be included, as well as Tarkovsky's Solaris.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    i always liked Dune...done forget about Terminator too...

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    Aliens. (2nd one)

There is no debate. Greatest sci-fi film of all time.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Miami Heat
    +1.

Also, Alien(s) and Star Wars don't deserve consideration as "Science Fiction" films. Alien is one of my favorite films of all-time, but it's more horror than Sci-Fi, while Star Wars would be classified as a "Space Opera." Nothing really suggests those are Science Fiction in the traditional sense of the term besides the fact they're set in the future. Neither of those films even attempt to explore the role science and technology might play in shaping our future world and its ensuing consequences on humanity.
    there is lots wrong with your post.

but this is the worst part :

Neither of those films even attempt to explore the role science and technology might play in shaping our future world and its ensuing consequences on humanity.
    lolwut

did you get the wrong movie cause someone labeled it "Aliens" ?

I guess the whole part about corporate interests controlling militaries, creating androids which help humans accomplish tasks, corporations endangering humanity through their interest in biochemical weapons (the aliens), terraforming entire planets so that humanity can have more hospitable environments in the future...

i'll just stop. not sure if want to go on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers

I guess the whole part about corporate interests controlling militaries, creating androids which help humans accomplish tasks, corporations endangering humanity through their interest in biochemical weapons (the aliens), terraforming entire planets so that humanity can have more hospitable environments in the future...

You forgot those badass assault rifles and sentry guns.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    there is lots wrong with your post.

but this is the worst part :

lolwut

Those concepts are never really fleshed out to any important degree and quickly take a backseat to the action and horror.

A true Sci-Fi film would've explored those ideas for the majority of the film.

Alien(s) is as much a science fiction film as The Bourne Iden y is a political thriller.

Nice try, though. But any way you slice it, Alien and Aliens are Horror films first and science fiction films second.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Aliens is an action movie. Alien is a horror film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree.

But I do admit I jumped the gun when I said, "...not even attempt to explore the role science and technology might play..." I was thinking more about Star Wars than Alien and Aliens.

Alien and Aliens do indeed touch upon those subjects and present what our future might look like should some of those concepts (artificial intelligence beyond human levels, terraforming, space travel, etc.) become reality, but the presentation is more cosmetic than philosophical and not what the films are about.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 07-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spot on. Also, The Matrix and The Terminator should be in this poll. And in about 10 years I think Inception will be deserving too

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    midnightpulp is putting WAY too much thought into what sci fi is

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yup. It's a movie after all.

sorry but 2001 is a little boring. I understand is a classic, most accurate and most influential sci fi. There is almost no character interactions. Blade Runner is very well balanced and has the most complete package. Every shot is a piece of art.

BTW solaris is even more boring. tried to watch it 2 times unsuccessfully.

but I agree about metropolis. it should be in this list,

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    midnightpulp is putting WAY too much thought into what sci fi is
    Not really.

Just because a movie has aliens, robots, and space ships doesn't necessarily make it sci-fi. It's like calling Pulp Fiction a blaxploitation film because Sam Jackson has a fro and uses the word " ."

Would you not agree that Alien is more gothic survival horror than Sci-fi, or that Aliens is more action film than Sci-fi? Why should those films receive the sci-fi label when the two films' greatest qualities (Alien for its claustrophobic, nightmarish horror, and Aliens for its action) have little to do with science fiction?

If we're going to choose films based on category, then we should first define what that category is and not arbitrarily throw films into the discussion just because they might exhibit a few traits and themes from the category in question.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Blade Runner shouldn't even be on the list. Scott did a horrible job of directing what could have been a great movie. My choice would be Alien, with Star Wars running a close second. The Matrix is just as good as any. 2001 was great for it's cinematography, but the story was boring. I'd toss the original Planet of the Apes in there to hold it's weight as well.
    Elaborate? What cinematic errors do you feel Scott made?

And for what it's worth, have you seen the director's cut?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You going a little too far in this whole classifying bit. I would call it a Sci-fi horror, with the majority of the movie being Sci-fi.
    I guess I just personally see it as a horror film, which is not a bad thing mind you. Still one of the top 100 films of all-time.

Thread Information