Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So I'm not totally informed yet, because I haven't gotten home...

but apparently I got a letter from my ISP, warning me to delete(I believe) a movie I downloaded off a torrent.

How does this happen again?

I'm almost certain it came from demonoid, although I do wonder sometimes if I got it off ninjavideo...

anyways... this is gay

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Who's your ISP?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I believe it's SuddenLink, not too many options in Lufkin

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Interesting. I wonder what movie it is.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Kick-Ass...

apparently, they got a letter from NBC? or something idk, my cousin couldn't explain it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Eh, I downloaded a copy of Kick Ass a long time ago before it was out on DVD but I got it from a private torrent site.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Eh, I downloaded a copy of Kick Ass a long time ago before it was out on DVD but I got it from a private torrent site.
    Same here....

That's why it's odd, this happened a long time ago. I want to believe Demonoid is still a private torrent site.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Let us know if NBC sues you and takes your house.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Well, if you unethical asses wish to steal copyrighted material, maybe some day, you'll see jail time.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I got a letter like that from Suddenlink when I was still in California. South Park season 12, maybe? Don't remember.

In any case, nothing happened.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Let us know if NBC sues you and takes your house.
    HA! That's where they would lose, I don't own a house!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Damn guess the lesson is to never use Sudden Link.

More importantly Sense,, being a Mexican in Lufkin must SUCK.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Damn guess the lesson is to never use Sudden Link.

More importantly Sense,, being a Mexican in Lufkin must SUCK.

Indeed, they're after us!

I'm leaving it soon, to go back to Beaumont to gather some cash to go to San Marcos/San Antonio/Austin... lol

Been saying that for a while, but I think this time I'm gonna do it.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Use Peer Block....

Also, as long as you are not downloading them for profit, they really cant do .

If you download and sell.... well.... good luck to you.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, if you unethical asses wish to steal copyrighted material, maybe some day, you'll see jail time.

If I paid money to see a movie at the theatre, I can download the same movie on my computer. Im not reselling it.

Are you going to at someone for buying a book and then loaning it to someone?

What about when you buy the DVD and loan it out to someone? Isnt that taking away from their sales as well?

What about buyind a CD and letting someone else listen to it? Are you going to tell your friend to off and buy their own and wont let them listen to it?

Are those outside the realm of your "code of ethics"?

Please.....

They never leave my computer, people come over and watch it at my house. I dont hand out copies and definately dont sell them. Every movie I have, I have seen in a theatre or on a DVD I owned at one point. Those notifications are nothing but hot air unless you are using the material for personal gain.

If someone is downloading with the intent to sell, then yeah, they deserved to be ed.

Unless you are totally anal and dont let anyone see the DVDs you have, listen to the CD's you buy or refuse to let them see the PPV events you pay for, you need to seriously shut the up.
    Last edited by phyzik; 08-08-2010 at 11:41 PM.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If the movie business is tired of this , they need to provide a code on movie tickets that allows people that payed to see it to download it legally. That would easily take care of alot of the rampant stealing.

My view is, if I pay more than $20 to enjoy the movie at the theatre (ticket, food, drinks, ect) then they can kiss my ass if they think Im going to spend another $20 to buy a DVD/Blueray version of the same movie I saw MONTHS before.

Until then, I will enjoy going to the theatre to see something and I will enjoy downloading that same movie when I get home for free. I Paid my ticket price. them after that.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If the movie business is tired of this , they need to provide a code on movie tickets that allows people that payed to see it to download it legally. That would easily take care of alot of the rampant stealing.

My view is, if I pay more than $20 to enjoy the movie at the theatre (ticket, food, drinks, ect) then they can kiss my ass if they think Im going to spend another $20 to buy a DVD/Blueray version of the same movie I saw MONTHS before.

Until then, I will enjoy going to the theatre to see something and I will enjoy downloading that same movie when I get home for free. I Paid my ticket price. them after that.
    that is the stupidest idea i have ever seen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    You can have your view all you want, physik. The fact of the matter (and the law) is that paying a one-time fee to watch a movie in a theatre does not grant you an unlimited license to watch the movie as many times as you want on your PC. Wanting something to be so doesn't make it so. Makes no difference where you d/l'd the movie from; the act of doing so without the permission of the copyright holder is illegal.

To the OP: yes, 99.999+% of the time they won't go after you, but every so often these guys will trot out their high-priced lawyers to make an example of someone. It really sucks to try and defend yourself when what you've done is against the law, no matter whether you think the law is right or not.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What about the people who buy a CD then loan it someone so they can download it to their computer, make a CD and/or put it on their MP3 player?

My brother has bought CDs that have ended up on 5 different iPods plus computers. I can go and burn CDs of those CDs without ever having bought it or downloaded off the internet, on my computer.

How is that any different and how can that be stopped?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What about the people who buy a CD then loan it someone so they can download it to their computer, make a CD and/or put it on their MP3 player?

My brother has bought CDs that have ended up on 5 different iPods plus computers. I can go and burn CDs of those CDs without ever having bought it or downloaded off the internet, on my computer.

How is that any different and how can that be stopped?
    I've always wondered this too...

Also, I was mistaken... the ISP is Consolidated..

They pretty much just state that they want me to get rid of the movie, and that they'll make the "site" unavailable for me if it happens again.

I don't really know what they mean by site, I really don't think it's website. They probably mean internet overall.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I was playing Devil's Advocate in my last post, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In fact, I'm sure at least 90% of the people here have done what I stated earlier and never thought twice about it.

As for DL movies, I don't see a problem with it as a whole. The problem I have is that you never know what you're getting with these things. The quality can be or DVD quality. There really isn't any way of knowing for sure.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I was playing Devil's Advocate in my last post, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In fact, I'm sure at least 90% of the people here have done what I stated earlier and never thought twice about it.

As for DL movies, I don't see a problem with it as a whole. The problem I have is that you never know what you're getting with these things. The quality can be or DVD quality. There really isn't any way of knowing for sure.
    Next to the download, it likely says CAM, dvdrip, HD DVD RIP, Blu Ray. Usually a good way of knowing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Next to the download, it likely says CAM, dvdrip, HD DVD RIP, Blu Ray. Usually a good way of knowing.
    Usually. But then again, that's half the battle. Even respectable sites have people who try to load the files with all sorts of to with your computer.

I'd rather just watch them online than download them. My kids up my DVDs anyway, so I've really gotten into Netflix.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Usually. But then again, that's half the battle. Even respectable sites have people who try to load the files with all sorts of to with your computer.

I'd rather just watch them online than download them. My kids up my DVDs anyway, so I've really gotten into Netflix.
    What bootleg sites do you use? I stick to forums or blogspot's. Forums with good repuation, of course.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    What bootleg sites do you use? I stick to forums or blogspot's. Forums with good repuation, of course.
    Me too. I've gotten into Sidereel although it can be a pain finding a good link. Other sites I've visited always ask to download some type of software to view the movies. I'd rather not.

Thread Information