Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some help to make my resume. I want to apply for the energy company here in San Antonio, the thing is that they require a resume. I've searched the internet to see how it's done and found some websites that show some samples but I'm sure I'll screw it up and I don't want to give them a really bad resume. And I wanted to know if there's some place in San Antonio where they'll help you make a resume. The position i want to apply for is an entry level so I'm sure they won't require too much experience. I really want to work for them,I've heard really good things about them. Please let me know.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Texas workforce comission

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it's pretty damn easy to find out how ot make a resume. not tryin to be an ass or anything, but do a search on google. there are plenty of examples.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Here are some tips:

Be consistent. If you decide to end one sentence with a period, then the rest will have to be the same.

Be relevant. If you're applying to an energy company, don't put how you were a private tennis tutor. Your resume should not go over 1 page(assuming you have no or little experience).

Look up action verbs online and use them to describe your qualities/skills. Stuff like "coordinated team efforts, administered tests, etc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Don't mention you have cav tats, and try not to use bigzax as a personal reference.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    how good are you at sucking ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    PM me your e-mail address I'll send you one of the resumes that got me an interview.

If it's an entry level position you'll have to pad it with school information and activities. Also use keywords that appear in the job description. Most of the time computers are used to weed out good resumes. You could be the best candidate but if you don't have the right keywords you won't get past hitting send.

Here's some more from an e-mail I recently got:

Resume Formatting Tips

The format of your resume is very important. A resume will not leave a good impression on a potential employer if it is not easy to navigate or appealing to the eye. A great resume has a format that is easy to follow and presents the information in a way that makes sense. When referring to format, it can mean several different things. In this case, we will be discussing the structure and style of the resume.

Chronological vs. Functional Format
    Before beginning to write a resume, it must be decided what structure to use. The two most common formats are chronological and functional. Both are great ways to structure your resume and you can decide between them based on work experience.

Chronological
    A chronological resume lists your work experience from your most recent position to your least. This is the most common layout but may not work for everyone. A chronological format works best for someone who ha s worked for a long time and has had several jobs that are relevant to current one they are seeking. It also works for someone who may have limited work history but has been gaining experience applicable to the sought position through previous work or someone who a steady work record without major lapses in employment. This format builds credibility by showing gained experience and illustrates career growth over time.
    The typical outline of this format is as follows:
    Name and Address Header
    Objective of Occupational le
    Brief Summary of Qualifications
    Professional Experience as main body of resume
    Education and Specific Skills or Training

Functional
    A functional resume emphasizes your qualifications and skills, educational experience, and knowledge that are relevant to the type of position being sought. This format asserts specific professional capabilities and uses experience summaries as the primary way to communicate professional competency. This format works for several types of individuals, such as someone with a mixed career background that is not specific to the job being applied for, or someone returning to a previous position when the latest experience does not directly apply to the current job being sought. People who have been out of the workforce for a number of years or have not held jobs for a long period of time also often use the functional format.
    The typical outline of this format is as follows:
    Name and Address Header
    Objective or Occupational le
    Summary of Qualifications
    Experience Highlights
    Work/Employment History
    Education and Specific Skills or Training

Style Formatting:
    Your resume has to be easy to read so the font size should not be too small. 12 point works best and you do not want to be smaller than 11. Certain information such as your name and categories should be slightly bigger, 13 or 14 points.
    The font should be consistent throughout the resume, so do not use more than two fonts. Also do not use any weird fonts like Comic Sans. Times New Roman, Palatino, or Georgia are the best options because they are professional looking and easy to read.
    Resume categories need to stand out from the rest of the text. Making them all capital or small capital letters can do this, as well as bolding the categories.
    Use bolding and italics to add interest to your resume and highlight important information. However, do not over use either because that could result in an unprofessional-looking do ent.
    Use bullet points or lists for information such as skills or interests.
    Do not use spaces or tabs to format your format your information. This could result in inconsistencies throughout the resume. It is best to use your word processor’s indent and alignment features.
    Last edited by ashbeeigh; 09-16-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Thread Information