Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    To say it had no influence on the big12-2 staying intact couldn't be further from the truth also. It definitely had an impact.

and stop talking like oklahoma state is any more "relevant" than we are. at least we had enough balls to go explore different opportunities instead of just bowing down and slobbin on the of tu.

Rugged like Rwanda SpursNextRomanEmpire's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I'm confused. Was this post an attempt to STRENGTHEN Reck's argument that TX doesn't care nearly as much about A&M as A&M does them?
    exactly

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Are you mad because ou/tu/A&M all are getting paid $20 million?

Not happening.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Who gives a ? Baylor's gonna beat both of them this year.

<<<trying to get thread back on track.

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    UT was looking into feasible options and conferences that would take them in a heartbeat.
    So when t.u. does it, it's ok, but when A&M does it, it's "fiddling around"?

Um-hmm, ok, sure .

Sorry, Obstructed_View. I really am looking forward to going to Waco for the game in a couple weeks!

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count

Tech > Baylor

if anyone gives a besides me/

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Tech > Baylor

if anyone gives a besides me/
    I watched that game. Tech was really good. Very little defense from either team though. Kind of one of those "first to punt loses" kind of outings.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    So when t.u. does it, it's ok, but when A&M does it, it's "fiddling around"?

Um-hmm, ok, sure .

Sorry, Obstructed_View. I really am looking forward to going to Waco for the game in a couple weeks!
    I may head out there too. I like both teams but would like to see Baylor have one good season before their talent's all gone.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Yeah; one more thing that the rest of the world knows the truth about yet aggy thinks they know better otherwise.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I may head out there too. I like both teams but would like to see Baylor have one good season before their talent's all gone.
    Been at every A&M-baylor game since '04. Hard to rival the atmosphere at FCS, what with all the Aggies trying to take over the stadium. This year should be one of the best Battles on the Brazos yet, from a fan perspective.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    My bad. We shall continue the rivalry in a thread elsewhere.

Can't wait to see Baylor against OU and Ag.

we know 2 things...

1) capn'mike is one cynical & negative dude

2) this is one of the softest t.u. teams I've ever seen; I'd be surprised if they beat A&M

...when A&M beat t.u. back to back, they weren't great, but they weren't soft. thus, I don't see them rising to the occasion.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    we know 2 things...

lol. jgw calling me cynical and negative is like Stalin saying Hitler was, 'a really bad dude.'

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    lol. jgw calling me cynical and negative is like Stalin saying Hitler was, 'a really bad dude.'
    so you're hitler?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    we know 2 things...

2) this is one of the softest t.u. teams I've ever seen; I'd be surprised if they beat A&M

...when A&M beat t.u. back to back, they weren't great, but they weren't soft. thus, I don't see them rising to the occasion.
    I'll be surprised if jgw ever picks a college skin.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    And Godwin's law is confirmed again.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    And Godwin's law is confirmed again.

Not Koolaid_Man Homeland Security's Avatar
    My Team
    USC Trojans
    Post Count
    Look, I hate to give anyone else credit, but everyone else but aggy sees it - the rest of the B12 did exactly what UT told them to. After Neb was going to go, CU was worried about getting left out in the whole P10 deal, so they jumped the gun.

UT was joined at the hip with OSU and uo; Dodds promised Holder he would not leave him and Boren and Hargis pledged to do what the other one did. Once the P10 said that UT could not have their own network, the deal with them was over.

Meanwhile, back at the cult, atm was pissed because UT was running the show and that they would forever be in their burnt orange shadow, so they intertained moving to the SEC. If you read insider accounts, it was never anything for real more than talk, as the SEC actually wanted uo and not atm. However that was enough to make the media frenzy look like atm was as good as gone (the same media that reported that OSU and ttek had already accepted spots to the P10).

B12 was staying regardless of what atm did, but when they were told they would get some of the CU/NU money they came back like a roach to spilled honey. Their AD is so far in debt that there was no way they could have afforded the penalties moving to the SEC. In reality, the only reason they entertained going to the SEC was because they knew if the B12 folded they wouldn't have to pay. Their mind was made up for them when the B12 announced it would stay together and they were able to call themselves saviors in their own mind, when the rest of the world just shakes their head and says, "Sad" when they do it.
    Look, everybody knows that given a choice, the SEC schools would prefer to have Texas and Oklahoma as western additions. That's a no-brainer. But Texas made clear over and over again that it has no interest in joining the SEC because it believes that academically the SEC is beneath it. And Oklahoma has made it clear that it views itself as part of a tandem with Texas. So, the SEC can't get its first choices. So be it.

The reason Texas A&M is attractive as a Plan B/C is not because there is anything particularly winsome about Aggie football. From a compe ive standpoint, all a Texas A&M addition would mean is that Vanderbilt and Kentucky would have a bona fide opportunity for an easy conference win every few years.

No, the attractive part about Texas A&M is simply that it is a very large school in Texas, which means the following:
    1) Improved recruiting in Texas for SEC powers
    2) Large, affluent fan base
    3) Increased exposure in #5 media market Dallas
    4) Increased exposure in #10 media market Houston

Of course Texas delivers all these in a much bigger way than A&M does, and Oklahoma delivers some of them as well, and both of them have a superior brand to that of A&M, but while you can't always get what you want, if you try sometimes, you'll find you get what you need.

Texas A&M is also "culturally" a good fit for the SEC because it would help make schools like Arkansas and Mississippi State feel sophisticated.

A similar dynamic would work in geographic expansion on the eastern front, where the SEC in a perfect world would rather have North Carolina, but probably would have to settle for something like NC State.

Not Koolaid_Man Homeland Security's Avatar
    My Team
    USC Trojans
    Post Count
    Oh, and I can't believe I live in a world where TCU and Baylor have the two best football teams in the state of Texas.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Look, everybody knows that given a choice, the SEC schools would prefer to have Texas and Oklahoma as western additions. That's a no-brainer. But Texas made clear over and over again that it has no interest in joining the SEC because it believes that academically the SEC is beneath it. And Oklahoma has made it clear that it views itself as part of a tandem with Texas. So, the SEC can't get its first choices. So be it.

The reason Texas A&M is attractive as a Plan B/C is not because there is anything particularly winsome about Aggie football. From a compe ive standpoint, all a Texas A&M addition would mean is that Vanderbilt and Kentucky would have a bona fide opportunity for an easy conference win every few years.

No, the attractive part about Texas A&M is simply that it is a very large school in Texas, which means the following:
    1) Improved recruiting in Texas for SEC powers
    2) Large, affluent fan base
    3) Increased exposure in #5 media market Dallas
    4) Increased exposure in #10 media market Houston

Of course Texas delivers all these in a much bigger way than A&M does, and Oklahoma delivers some of them as well, and both of them have a superior brand to that of A&M, but while you can't always get what you want, if you try sometimes, you'll find you get what you need.

Texas A&M is also "culturally" a good fit for the SEC because it would help make schools like Arkansas and Mississippi State feel sophisticated.

A similar dynamic would work in geographic expansion on the eastern front, where the SEC in a perfect world would rather have North Carolina, but probably would have to settle for something like NC State.
    Blah blah blah.

t.u. didn't want to go to the SEC because they didn't want such a tough row to hoe to get to the MNC. The compe ion on the west coast simply isn't on par with texas--why would they sacrifice a chance at that for the sake of slugging it out with Florida, Bama, Georgia, and the like week in and week out?

That's a pretty myopic view of college sports anyway. So A&M had a rough decade in football. LSU was down when they went to the SEC. Arkansas had fallen on tougher times as well. Don't show your ignorance and believe that A&M has been and will always be a bottom feeder--college sports are too fickle and cyclical for that (see, texas university at austin, 2010 season). For the same reasons A&M would help the SEC from an image and a cultural standpoint, the SEC would benefit A&M with access to even more fertile recruiting ground. It works both ways.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Not to mention Texas A&M would immediately be able to compete in every other sport not named Football.

Thread Information