Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarians are pawns of the oligarchy. Everything they want empowers the oligarchy.

I bet most libertarians have no ing idea.
    This. Libertarians want to privatize every public ins ution and let the elites have full control. They want to put the fox in charge of the hen house.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Libertarians want to privatize every public ins ution and let the elites have full control. They want to put the fox in charge of the hen house.
    That isn't what they want, but it is what would happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarians are pawns of the oligarchy. Everything they want empowers the oligarchy.

I bet most libertarians have no ing idea.
    They don't. Gotta hand it to the effectiveness of the oligarchy's propaganda machine though.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That isn't what they want, but it is what would happen.
    Yep. I have libertarian leanings but I understand what the outcome would be. I want less regulation, but at what cost? Grim business.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. I have libertarian leanings but I understand what the outcome would be. I want less regulation, but at what cost? Grim business.
    True that. I agree mostly.

Government should regulate as little as possible and still serve the public.

There is a balance between laissez-faire and good government.

At the moment though, we have neither. We have a government captured almost completely by special interests, and that happened well before Trump was in office.

I hope his presidency will spur some change in getting money out of the equation or at least making things fairer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr. Richard Wolff Debates Libertarians

benefactor RandomGuy
    I think you will find this debate very interesting. I personally loved it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody's gonna watch a random 1 hour youtube

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody's gonna watch a random 1 hour youtube
    I have long commutes, and listen to such things pretty often.

RandomGuy will definitely watch (or rather listen to) random youtubes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't. Gotta hand it to the effectiveness of the oligarchy's propaganda machine though.
    They are very smart people, skim the cream of the best graduates, insanely motivated to amass wealth and the political power that wealth enables, without limit.

Capitalists don't GIVE A FLYING about USA, the planet, democracy, people, or anything except inhumane Capitalism making them wealthy and powerful.

Then poison the American stew even more with Christian Taliban dominionists who have every intent of destroying the Cons ution and terrorizing everybody to conform to their Biblical ethics and morality, OR ELSE (you DIE, like untreated LGBT)

America is ed and un able.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-16-2019 at 11:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have long commutes, and listen to such things pretty often.

RandomGuy will definitely watch (or rather listen to) random youtubes.
    i stand corrected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr. Richard Wolff Debates Libertarians

benefactor RandomGuy
    I think you will find this debate very interesting. I personally loved it.
    Started it this morning on my drive. It was good, and will finish it tonight. Thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Started it this morning on my drive. It was good, and will finish it tonight. Thanks!
    I love Richard Wolff. He has his own YouTube channel called "Democracy At Work."

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name these public ins utions that they want privatized.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name these public ins utions that they want privatized.
    Pretty much everything that is public that you can think of. Public education, USPS, Social Security, Utility companies, etc.

‘Privatization has failed repeatedly’
    https://newint.org/features/web-excl...ship-cat-hobbs

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much everything that is public that you can think of. Public education, USPS, Social Security, Utility companies, etc.

‘Privatization has failed repeatedly’
    https://newint.org/features/web-excl...ship-cat-hobbs
    Okay, I guess your wording is just weird. In many cases, they're about abolishing public ins utions or limiting their scope to what's needed. For instance, social security would be abolished; and this is because people can ultimately save more money without a reckless govt. spending their hard earned money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, I guess your wording is just weird. In many cases, they're about abolishing public ins utions or limiting their scope to what's needed. For instance, social security would be abolished; and this is because people can ultimately save more money without a reckless govt. spending their hard earned money.
    unless there is a stock market downturn the year they start drawing down.

The government is vastly more efficient than private companies at most things, especially things that have "free rider" problems.

All private companies offer services at "cost + profit", meaning you are starting off paying 20-40% more than what it cost to begin with. Easy for government to beat that.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The government is vastly more efficient than private companies at most things, especially things that have "free rider" problems.

All private companies offer services at "cost + profit", meaning you are starting off paying 20-40% more than what it cost to begin with. Easy for government to beat that.
    Govt. rips people off on their retirements; I have no doubt you know this. If you don't, you're a really ty accountant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Govt. rips people off on their retirements; I have no doubt you know this. If you don't, you're a really ty accountant.
    I don't trust the government for the simple fact that they are paid and bought for by the same elitists. That's why we need to put the right people in charge and regulate these ers from rigging the system in the first place. The elites pay politicians to write the laws in their favor. Right now government is an extension of corporations and we need to fix that problem first.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't trust the government for the simple fact that they are paid and bought for by the same elitists. That's why we need to put the right people in charge and regulate these ers from rigging the system in the first place. The elites pay politicians to write the laws in their favor. Right now government is an extension of corporations and we need to fix that problem first.
    You don't have to trust social security based on the numbers. You take the contributions of a guaranteed annuity vs. the unguaranteed much lower amount you'll get with social security. It's being a millionaire vs. maybe not even having enough to cover basic living expenses. People like Random face know this and they still shill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Explain what you mean, in your own words derp.

Define "rip people off".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not against free market on certain things such as technology, auto industry, social media and business management. Compe ion is actually good under these cir stances.

But certain things like prisons, healthcare, and education should not be public ins utions. That is a recipe for disaster and we are seeing seeing the consequences today.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Explain what you mean, in your own words derp.

Define "rip people off".
    You should calm down on the derp talk; your head couldn't be further up your ass.

Take what you pay in SS and put it into an annuity and tell me the difference on the payout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should calm down on the derp talk; your head couldn't be further up your ass.

Take what you pay in SS and put it into an annuity and tell me the difference on the payout.
    Pick an annuity to measure it against. SS is itself an annuity, and backed by the full faith and credit of the US government.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because I am not lazy, I went looking for analysis, and found several good ones, as this is an area of a lot of academic work it seems.

First one noted, as I did above, one of the features of SS that allows it to payout at slightly less than private companies.

The National Organization of Life and Health Guaranty Association (NOLHGA) and National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds (NCIGF) jointly reported 74 insurance company insolvencies among member insurers over the period 1988–2009, with average recoveries on annuities of 94 percent (NOLHGA/NCIGF 2011). In contrast, 465 banks failed from 2008 to 2012, with 157 alone in 2010. Annuitants' premiums are typically protected up to a maximum amount, which is set by each state's insurance guaranty fund.15
    There is no default risk for SS.

Further, SS benefits themselves recieve a COLA. Most annuities do not have this feature. You get a fixed payment, and the value of that fixed payment drops over time. The time value of money is a that way.

I will see if I can gather some data for a quick spreadsheet analysis at some point. This is fascinating. Anyone want to take bets that Derptacular won't even try to defend his statement?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First paper that outlines some of the issues involved. (quoted above)

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/issu...ip2017-01.html

Thread Information