Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what 60k is and it isn't jack. Middleclass my foot.
    Ohhhhhh...I misunderstood you. Sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    regarding burnout. i'm glad my mother told me it wasn't a good idea to go to school right away. she say's too many drop out and have no sense of direction, waste time and money on classes.. i joined the military. she almost flipped bc she didn't mean to take 4 years off... anyway, now that am back in school, i have my head on straight and will complete a degree in 3 years total.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet after you fill out your FAFSA, the government is going to ask you to contribute something like $20,000 of it. Which is where the swamp of loans come in.
    *fingers in ears*

I can't hear you, lalalalalalalalalala....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't gotten a single student loan. I have learned from my boyfriend's on going plight. You get screwed with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't gotten a single student loan. I have learned from my boyfriend's on going plight. You get screwed with them.
    Yeah, but depending on your personal situation, loans might be necessary. What if you want a smaller school with more personal attention? Or what if you don't want to work while going to school because you want to be able to focus on school more without fear of the burnout? All that costs a lot of money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or if you qualify for subsidized loans, take them and invest them in safe investments! make money off the govs money...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't gotten any yet either, but I guarntee you there is no way I'm getting through law school without them.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $60,000 is a fair amount of money in some portions of this state. If you have a family, not so much, but still DEFINATELY not lower class. When your house & postage stamp lot doesn't cost over $250k, it goes a lot farther. The cost of living varies a lot, especially if you have lifestyle issues (such as spending more than you make on crap that won't appreciate in value).

Man, I got ripped on the sports thing. I still believe that sports are an integral part of what made me and most of my friends what we are today. And extracurricular activities of all kinds are important. My sister wasn't an athlete, but she did everything else. But NO ONE ever complains that "they're spending too much money on band" when they ship 3 busloads of band members, instructors, and thousands of dollars worth of instruments to an out of town football game (hey, wow, did sports create yet another extra-curricular activity?) or band contest.

My point is that sports (mainly football) get beat up because everyone wants what they are interested in to be funded, and sports get the most funding because they are the oldest and most popular of the extracurricular activities in most schools. If you think that schools should focus only on academics and strictly academic-related extra-curricular activities, I invite you to strike up a stimulating conversation at your local university's Electrical Engineering department. (That's an unfair generalization, but you get my point.)

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $60,000 is a fair amount of money in some portions of this state. If you have a family, not so much, but still DEFINATELY not lower class. When your house & postage stamp lot doesn't cost over $250k, it goes a lot farther. The cost of living varies a lot, especially if you have lifestyle issues (such as spending more than you make on crap that won't appreciate in value).

Man, I got ripped on the sports thing. I still believe that sports are an integral part of what made me and most of my friends what we are today. And extracurricular activities of all kinds are important. My sister wasn't an athlete, but she did everything else. But NO ONE ever complains that "they're spending too much money on band" when they ship 3 busloads of band members, instructors, and thousands of dollars worth of instruments to an out of town football game (hey, wow, did sports create yet another extra-curricular activity?) or band contest.

My point is that sports (mainly football) get beat up because everyone wants what they are interested in to be funded, and sports get the most funding because they are the oldest and most popular of the extracurricular activities in most schools. If you think that schools should focus only on academics and strictly academic-related extra-curricular activities, I invite you to strike up a stimulating conversation at your local university's Electrical Engineering department. (That's an unfair generalization, but you get my point.)

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.
    I don't know what district you're talking about...but the only costs involved in "shipping" a band to an out-of-town game are paying the bus drivers and upkeep on the school buses. The instruments that don't get carried on the buses by the kids get shipped via some sort of moving vehicle...U-Haul, 24-foot, trailer, whatever...and that isn't paid for by the district. Upkeep and transport costs are borne by the individual band booster organization. "Crew" members are volunteer parents (I should know...I am one).

And I never said extra-curricular activities should be strictly academic. What I did say was funding for academic-related extra-curricular activities lagged far behind the athletic programs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who is saying anything about extracurricular activities that should be academically related only? I don't think anyone wants to boot out football in favor of the Astronomy Club.

The problem is funding allocation, with the majority of it going to sports and sports related activities. There are a lot of students who just aren't that athletically inclined, but very talented in other areas - and you're saying that because other people do not appreciate these other areas as much as going to a football game and gorging on nachos ("unfair generalization, but you get my point") that it's okay for schools to underfund and in many cases terminate these other programs. This line of thinking is why San Antonio's symphony went on hiatus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What she said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in many schools, the football team actually makes money whereas every other team/group just lose money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and none of the cost of the football program is supported by booster organizations, ticket sales, etc. Ever check the cost of a tuba vs. a football helmet? And the band, or the track team, or the school graduation never used the football stadium, right? They never got any other use out of it, it was just a monument to the stupidity that is Texas and its high school football.

How is the cost breakdown that you listed any different than the cost to ship the football team? I mean, all we had to pay was the bus driver, right? , we even brought our own equipment on the bus.

Damn band being overfunded for their fancy "trailers".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, Football does generate it's own set of revenue in most schools in this state. It also has a lot of excess revenue that goes to other sports.

But by that very token, a lot of money is also spent on Football that could be better spent. Take into account the football stadium that Northside built. That thing is the ire of so much of my hatred because it's so unnesscary. And that was paid for by bond money, not by money generated from HS football games.

Sports never get a bad rap, and they especialy don't get a bad rap in this state. Anyone that tries to make the sports programs in this state a victim is smoking some serious crack and probably got hit with a baseball bat somewhere along the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where the f**k did you get that from???

Go back and re-read where I said the funding came from for that...

And oh BTW...the booster organizations don't get district money for that .

And you still ignored the points Jekka and I made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, and none of the cost of the football program is supported by booster organizations, ticket sales, etc. Ever check the cost of a tuba vs. a football helmet? And the band, or the track team, or the school graduation never used the football stadium, right? They never got any other use out of it, it was just a monument to the stupidity that is Texas and its high school football.

How is the cost breakdown that you listed any different than the cost to ship the football team? I mean, all we had to pay was the bus driver, right? , we even brought our own equipment on the bus.

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but you're making it rather poorly. If you're trying to make football into a victim, you may want to try Indiana becasue that isn't going to fly in Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and you're saying that because other people do not appreciate these other areas as much as going to a football game and gorging on nachos ...that it's okay for schools to underfund and in many cases terminate these other programs. This line of thinking is why San Antonio's symphony went on hiatus.
    That is a reach that even my long arms can't make. Because 1.) I like sports, and 2.) I didn't complain that football gets all the money, I now want to shut down all the other activities.

Another reach: what makes you think that all the activities that I enjoyed and remain interested in supporting are sports related? Maybe you should have inserted the "unfair generalization" tag.

BTW, nothing personal Jekka. Its only politics.

(I just got a kick out of the code for the "thumbs up" being t.u. )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever check the cost of a tuba vs. a football helmet?
    Heathen, could you be a little more closeminded in thinking about long-term gains and cultural development? We don't remember great civilizations just because of how much land they control, we remember them largely for cultural achievements - when you think of ancient Greece you're probably going to think of the Parthenon and the Olympics and philosophers and epic poems like the Iliad before you think of political accomplishments by leaders like Draco. Culture is what binds a society together and decides how people will choose to live and make their decisions. Right now, the majority of youth culture lives in MTV and comes in the form of "Jackass" and "The Thong Song" - and you're saying that it's okay that fine arts programs are underfunded? That a high culture is overrated? Look at what kids are growing up with today. You have to be willing to some some kind of investment to get a better end-product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where the f**k did you get that from???

Go back and re-read where I said the funding came from for that...

And oh BTW...the booster organizations don't get district money for that .

And you still ignored the points Jekka and I made.
    Travis, take it easy, big cat! Humor me a little.

I went to a small school. There wasn't a lot of money to go around. We dealt with it with support of the community. Our booster organizations helped out with the cost. We all turned out pretty good.

Want to make sure that the band/debate team/underwater basketweaving team stick around? Donate your time/money to the cause.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I all I know is that my viejo gets screwed when it comes to pay. He is a band director and spends a load of time at school. I don't see the football coaches afterschool all year round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call BS on the sports thing and y'all go ape!

Now I'm a heathen. I've been called worse. As long as I get called something three times a day, I'll be doing allright. (That's breakfast, lunch and supper for some of you).

Thin skin. I'm not a troll, I promise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, some people in here get riled up very quickly; I'm usually one of them.

But when you say this:

My point is that sports (mainly football) get beat up because everyone wants what they are interested in to be funded
    We have to question sanity. This is Texas. Saying football gets beat up here is the equivlant of saying Bill Gates needs welfare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't gotten any yet either, but I guarntee you there is no way I'm getting through law school without them.
    I'll start my dissent to being broke next Jan. when I quit working to go through a nursing program in SA. It will blow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Football reigns supreme in Texas. It will always get what it needs and wants in terms of money for its High School program.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I call BS on the sports thing and y'all go ape!

Now I'm a heathen. I've been called worse. As long as I get called something three times a day, I'll be doing allright. (That's breakfast, lunch and supper for some of you).

Thin skin. I'm not a troll, I promise.
    Sure I'll go ape on that . But seriously, it's hard not to see a correlation between overall cultural decline and a lack of arts funding.

Thread Information