Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, like all those public school classrooms with history books that came out when Reagen was president! Some facilities! I'm just kidding. But, you don't have to be professionally trained to teach your kids. Do you have kids? Didn't they learn anything at all from you before they went into school?

Nothing is good for everyone. But the way it stands now, public school is good for almost no one (except the teacher's union, of course).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the person who is teaching your kid at school (at least you hope they are) is also teaching 25-30 other kids.

As for your other point, there has to be some income, of course, but it doesn't have to be a big one. Probably $30,000 a year would be sufficient.
    You can support a family on 30k a year, but you damn well better be prepared to live at the bottom level.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, like all those public school classrooms with history books that came out when Reagen was president! Some facilities! I'm just kidding. But, you don't have to be professionally trained to teach your kids. Do you have kids? Didn't they learn anything at all from you before they went into school?

Nothing is good for everyone. But the way it stands now, public school is good for almost no one (except the teacher's union, of course).
    Yeah, facilities like a gym, fields, labs, computers and other specialty departments. Then there are any sports for your kids to play in. But there are still the basics of affording not having a parent working.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, a home-schooled kiddo wins the national geography bee...again!

Government needs to get out of the education business, period. They're no good at it.
    WGAF! winning the national geography bee don't mean .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The school I go to in Cali sucks ass! I'm afraid to go to the bathroom. And they're are a bunch of losers everywhere that I wanna punch really badly.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, facilities like a gym, fields, labs, computers and other specialty departments. Then there are any sports for your kids to play in. But there are still the basics of affording not having a parent working.
    You can have any of those specialities in your home or nearby community. And you can take your kids to the YMCA for just about any sport. It's easier to live on one income that most people think. "We just can't afford it" is a myth many people use as an excuse for not wanting to do it.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aren't all of the schools in the study public schools? Then why act like they aren't?

And home schooling is only as good as the teacher -- many really suck, including those in my own family who attempted it. Damn my sister-in-law is an idiot who was lucky to graduate high school, but nonetheless "qualified" to home teach because she simply bought the materials and signed a couple of forms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, there must be an assurance that all children willhave access to education and that the poor will not be priced out of a decent education.

What you have described is in no way "privatized".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My cousin homeschooled all eight of her kids (yes, eight) and they are social re s (sorry!)

Anyway, back to the original topic of Charter Schools ...

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can have any of those specialities in your home or nearby community. And you can take your kids to the YMCA for just about any sport. It's easier to live on one income that most people think. "We just can't afford it" is a myth many people use as an excuse for not wanting to do it.
    I'm sorry, but the YMCA leagues are nothing compared to high school level sports. What about other activities like band, science clubs, and choir? There are limited alternatives, but again they are limited.

"We can't afford it", isn't an excuse, it's the first rule that every person should look at before doing something. If you can't afford it, then you shouldn't be doing it! Will you be living in dept while teaching your kids? What does that teach them? What about putting away for retirement? Or for your kids college? If you can barely get by how will you afford their college tuition? "Great kids! You've finished your home schooled high school education, but now we're too poor to send you to college! Yay!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What you have described is in no way "privatized".
    Are you going to tell me that health care today is not privatized? Because those are private companies providing the care yet we ensure that children have health insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats so stupid about this debate is that if your kids go to a public school and you don't home school them it doesn't mean that you can't take part in their education. My kids will probably end up going to a public school, but there will be plenty of suplementary learning at home.

However, if you home school them, no one else can correct your mistakes. And I doubt that the person doing the teaching is going to be an expert in everything there is to learn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My cousin homeschooled all eight of her kids (yes, eight) and they are social re s (sorry!)
    Here's to hoping that your cousin doesn't ever stumble into this forum!

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I work out of my house and I would never, ever home school my kids. I love my kids to death, but I do not have the patience to even attempt it, nor would I ever want to. And while people complain about public schools, I cannot. My kids have always pulled straight As and both received Commended performances on the TAKS in both reading and math. The schools and my husband and I must be doing something right.

My sister-in-law and brother home school. Their kids are so sheltered it's not funny.

But hey, if you have the will to home school, more power to you.

Back on topic...I know nothing about Charter schools.

Thread Information