Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Quincy Russell, a four-star defensive tackle from Sam Houston in San Antonio, said this may change a lot of things for him. He's not sold on Texas anymore and isn't sure if he will still make a visit to campus next week.
    Kendall Thompson, a four-star linebacker from Carthage, said he was blindsided by the Will Muschamp moving to Florida news. He's going to sit down with his family and sort things about.
    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....t-does-th.html

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    well good news is nows the time to walk on

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    but seriously it's all ing gilbert's fault. even when davis would rarely call a good play that would have been an immediate touchdown last year, gilbert would blow it and turn the ball over. he'd be second string at utsa. worst qb ive seen in person.

that chode would eastwood squint his target for 3+ seconds until the entire secondary knew where he was throwing the ball then he'd lob it up right at his target. when he got antsy, he'd start running around like a chicken with its head cut off instead of stepping up in the pocket and checking all his options. terribly, terribly pathetic.

everybody probably left because mack is still married to that dude. damnit.

just give it up, mack. your qb politics is legendary...ever since you backstabbed major applewhite. major was probably planning this move to florida to get back at your sorry bureaucratic ass. he was just waiting for the right time. that's why i have no ill feelings towards major. he's a cool laidback guy. i used to eat meals with him at the football camp. its crazy how small the dude was, but he was one of the smartest players to come through UT.
    Last edited by The Reckoning; 12-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i never thought it possible to try too hard, but by god, gilbert has achieved that. un ingbelievable. and yes, cart was a little . only qb out of UT that ive respected was applewhite, and even he was a victim of the good ol' boy network.

Believe.
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    ouch, blaming this all on one kid....if anything the blame should be on the person who refused to pull gilbert, these are just kids playing for a college education and the chance to go to the next level. all gilbert was doing was following instructions by the coaches, right?

ouch, blaming this all on one kid....if anything the blame should be on the person who refused to pull gilbert, these are just kids playing for a college education and the chance to go to the next level. all gilbert was doing was following instructions by the coaches, right?
    thats too rational. btw, gilbert isn't even that bad.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I don't know how much you can blame the kid if he's trying. He apparently can't control it, for whatever reason he's just not doing well.

It's Mack's fault because he can control it, it's not like he couldn't have tried one of your talented backup quarterbacks when it was obvious you were going nowhere fast this year anyway.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    At least in the national championship game last year, Gilbert tried his best to win rather than go crying to the locker room to play catch with his daddeh.
    true. true.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Which part? Cedric Reed has already shown some interest in A&M before all of this (he went to the Nebraska-A&M game); Malcolm Brown is said to be committed to Texas primarily because of his relationship with Major Applewhite, who is reportedly following Muschamp to Florida. Brown also happens to be friends with Johnny Manziel, our incoming quarterback recruit.

Maybe Brown follows Major to Florida, maybe he stays with Texas. I said 'hopefully' not 'we definitely will' get him. Unless Mack Brown makes some great hires fast, they could easily lose some recruits.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...exas_Longhorns
    some of the players are shocked at Muschamp/Applewhite, but you are underestimating Mack Brown and the pull of UT.

“It's a shock about Coach Muschamp, but I didn't talk to him much,” [Malcolm] Brown said. “Coach Applewhite was the main guy who recruited me, and I don't know what's going on with him right now. I don't know how to answer all the questions people are asking about it, but Texas is still the school I want to go to.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/h...ame-877264.php
    UT may lose one or two defensive guys, but it's not a "blood in the water" feeding frenzy.

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    some of the players are shocked at Muschamp/Applewhite, but you are underestimating Mack Brown and the pull of UT.
    And you're overestimating it, tbh.

UT may lose one or two defensive guys, but it's not a "blood in the water" feeding frenzy.
    sippy can't afford to lose one or two defensive guys after a year like this. Might not be "blood in the water," but it doesn't have to be, to be devastating for texas.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Mack's gotta act quickly - if he pulls in Randy Shannon I doubt they lose more than one if even one - Shannon's U defenses were sick.

It's the offensive coordinator position and guys like Akina and Oscar Giles that I'm wondering about.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    And you're overestimating it, tbh.

Explain specifically how I am overestimating UT's pull. Is it only because I said someone else is underestimating them?

sippy can't afford to lose one or two defensive guys after a year like this.
    They actually can afford to lose one or two defensive guys.

I don't think they can afford to lose a guy like Malcolm Brown though.....but I don't think they do.

Might not be "blood in the water," but it doesn't have to be, to be devastating for texas.
    I'm trying to figure out what is not as bad as "blood in the water" but is still devastating......losing a contact lense in the water? I really don't know.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    In addition to all the guys who have mentioned they were wavering, Texas has lost most of its coaching staff including the offensive and defensive coordinators after a terrible 5-7 season. They performed poorly despite their supposed wealth of talent (they always seem to have top 10 rated classes). I think things like this will give their recruits pause, along with the fact that Major (one of their better recruiters) is leaving.

Major could probably stay and have a good chance at the OC position, but he chose to leave his Alma Mater for the same position at Florida. I think that demonstrates that there are significant problems in the organization, and I believe recruits will think twice about joining it (and highly rated as they are, I think a lot of coaches from all over the country will try to pry some of them away, and may very well succeed). We'll see in a month or so (I think national signing day is in early February).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

Explain specifically how I am overestimating UT's pull. Is it only because I said someone else is underestimating them?
    Yes. Not that hard to figure out.

They actually can afford to lose one or two defensive guys.
    They just went 5-7 in a season where the defense was stronger than the offense and kept them in games longer than they probably should have been. No, they can't afford a further weakening in that area.

I'm trying to figure out what is not as bad as "blood in the water" but is still devastating......losing a contact lense in the water? I really don't know.
    I was referring to the fact that it doesn't have to necessarily be a "feeding frenzy" for there to be a significant detrimental effect on texas--again, not hard to understand.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    In addition to all the guys who have mentioned they were wavering, Texas has lost most of its coaching staff including the offensive and defensive coordinators after a terrible 5-7 season. They performed poorly despite their supposed wealth of talent (they always seem to have top 10 rated classes). I think things like this will give their recruits pause, along with the fact that Major (one of their better recruiters) is leaving.

Major could probably stay and have a good chance at the OC position, but he chose to leave his Alma Mater for the same position at Florida. I think that demonstrates that there are significant problems in the organization, and I believe recruits will think twice about joining it (and highly rated as they are, I think a lot of coaches from all over the country will try to pry some of them away, and may very well succeed). We'll see in a month or so (I think national signing day is in early February).
    eh, I doubt there's any kind of mass turnaround with recruits. If they are concerned, all Mack has to do is break off a call or make a visit and assure the kids that they have some solid coordinators on the radar.

Even worst case, UT could lose several 4 star recruits and still finish in top 4-5 in the country.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yes. Not that hard to figure out.
    k. I didn't really think I was overestimating them either.

Sometimes it's hard to figure if people are serious or trying to be witty. Thanks for confirming your post was a post.

They just went 5-7 in a season where the defense was stronger than the offense and kept them in games longer than they probably should have been. No, they can't afford a further weakening in that area.
    I don't think you realize how deep UT is. I suggest you check out all the 4-5 star recruits they've been hauling in on defense the last few years.

I was referring to the fact that it doesn't have to necessarily be a "feeding frenzy" for there to be a significant detrimental effect on texas--again, not hard to understand.
    devastating =/= detrimental.

after the clarification, it's not hard to understand now that you are simply full of and are also now backpedaling.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    After seeing the devastating news myself and getting over my personal knee-jerk reactions, I've come to realize that Texas simply created a huge cluster for themselves by naming Will Muschamp HCIW with no serious timeline or contract buyout in place. I honestly believe Mack would've retired if Texas had won the MNC last year, but that's all in the past. Muschamp took his dream job at Florida and business is business. The major issue that Texas faces at the moment is if Mack Brown has it in him to rebuild the program. He's bascially been acting as a CEO for the past two years (knowing Muschamp would take over), not a head coach.

For recruiting...it's definitely a big deal that Muschamp has left. A lot of recruits absolutely loved the guy and chose Texas for that reason. However, the de-commitment stuff is a bit premature (mostly by the Aggies on here). The main defensive recruits that I worry about are:

DT, Quincy Russell, San Antonio Sam Houston
    DE, Cedric Reed, Cleveland
    LB, Steve Edmond, Daingerfield
    LB, Kendall Thompson, Carthage
    DB, Josh Turner, Millwood (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)

Texas needs to hire a quality DC quickly since the recruiting dead period begins next week. Former Miami HC, Randy Shannon, appears to be the front runner and there are currently rumors out there that a press conference could be in the works later today. I expect him to be the next DC at Texas and I would imagine hiring Shannon would go a long way towards easing the minds of recruits.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Here's a list of players that considered A&M heavily before making there commitment to Texas.

Quandre Diggs 4 Star CB
    Desmond Jackson 4 Star DT
    Steve Edmond 4 Star ILB
    Cedric Reed 4 Star DE
    Quincy Russell 4 Star DT

ATH, Quandre Diggs, Angleton
    Diggs bleeds burnt orange. Former UT defensive back, Quentin Jammer, is his half brother. Diggs was extremely upset that he wasn't offered at UT's Junior Day in February and committed as soon as he was offered in March. Major Applewhite and Duane Akina are the main reasons he's committed and I don't see that changing even if they bolt for Florida. Diggs is about as anti-Aggie as you can get. He's been quoted saying that he'd basically never consider playing for A&M.

DT, Desmond Jackson, Spring Westfield
    Jackson never considered the Aggies heavily...he might not have considered them at all. The only other real compe ion was Alabama and he still committed to UT on the spot.

Another guy who has no interest in the Aggies and never has. Even Brian Perroni of AggieYell.com has said as much. If he decides to open up his recruitment, he'll look at USC and Auburn. His high school teammate, Chris Jones, is already playing at UT and he has no out-of-state connections when it comes to those two teams.

The only UT commit that considered the Ags. It's still debatable on whether or not Reed even likes the Aggies that much. The whole story has always been that Reed likes UT and everyone in Cleveland (including his father) wants him to be an Aggie. Despite all of that, he's still a Horn. If Texas loses one or two, he could be one of them.

Russell was very thorough in his recruiting process. He visited the Aggies a few times and could consider them if he decides to de-commit. However, I think Baylor would be the favorite if that were to happen. He has Baylor connections through his high school coaching staff and has always liked the school. He said he wouldn't be premature about the situation and wants to see the coaching changes before making any decisions. A couple of things to consider:

a.) Russell has already de-committed once. He knows that opening up his recruitment could result in having his offer dropped. He won't open up his recruitment unless he's absolutely sure there is a better option for him out there.

b.) His dream school has always been Miami. Randy Shannon was the Miami DC during the glory years. Hiring Shannon could go a long way towards retaining Russell's commitment.

Thompson is as East Texas as it gets, but his childhood favorite is LSU. He's already confirmed he's 100% committed after talking to others in the recruiting class and hearing from Mack Brown.

Hiring Randy Shannon as DC will help Texas tremendously in retaining their commits. Not saying they won't lose any, but none of them other than Reed were ever considering the Aggies "heavily." I could only see the Aggies turning Reed. Others would go elsewhere. If Texas were to hang on to every one of their recruits (or even if they lose one or two) despite this tailspin they're currently experiencing, it speaks volumes of their recruiting prowess.
    Last edited by TFloss32; 12-13-2010 at 12:43 PM.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    The main defensive recruits that I worry about are:

DB, Josh Turner, Millwood (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)

ATH, Quandre Diggs, Angleton
    Diggs bleeds burnt orange. Former UT defensive back, Quentin Jammer, is his half brother. Diggs was extremely upset that he wasn't offered at UT's Junior Day in February and committed as soon as he was offered in March. Major Applewhite and Duane Akina are the main reasons he's committed and I don't see that changing even if they bolt for Florida. Diggs is about as anti-Aggie as you can get. He's been quoted saying that he'd basically never consider playing for A&M.

DT, Desmond Jackson, Spring Westfield
    Jackson never considered the Aggies heavily...he might not have considered them at all. The only other real compe ion was Alabama and he still committed to UT on the spot.

Another guy who has no interest in the Aggies and never has. Even Brian Perroni of AggieYell.com has said as much. If he decides to open up his recruitment, he'll look at USC and Auburn. His high school teammate, Chris Jones, is already playing at UT and he has no out-of-state connections when it comes to those two teams.

The only UT commit that considered the Ags. It's still debatable on whether or not Reed even likes the Aggies that much. The whole story has always been that Reed likes UT and everyone in Cleveland (including his father) wants him to be an Aggie. Despite all of that, he's still a Horn. If Texas loses one or two, he could be one of them.

Russell was very thorough in his recruiting process. He visited the Aggies a few times and could consider them if he decides to de-commit. However, I think Baylor would be the favorite if that were to happen. He has Baylor connections through his high school coaching staff and has always liked the school. He said he wouldn't be premature about the situation and wants to see the coaching changes before making any decisions. A couple of things to consider:

a.) Russell has already de-committed once. He knows that opening up his recruitment could result in having his offer dropped.

b.) His dream school has always been Miami. Randy Shannon was the Miami DC during the glory years. Hiring Shannon could go a long way towards retaining Russell's commitment.

Thompson is as East Texas as it gets, but his childhood favorite is LSU. He's already confirmed he's 100% committed after talking to others in the recruiting class and hearing from Mack Brown.

Hiring Randy Shannon as DC will help Texas tremendously in retaining their commits. Not saying they won't lose any, but none of them other than Reed were ever considering the Aggies "heavily." I could only see the Aggies turning Reed. Others would go elsewhere.
    it's always nice when you can ease your own fears.

I also read that Josh Turner is still committed to the Horns.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    it's always nice when you can ease your own fears.

I also read that Josh Turner is still committed to the Horns.
    Yes, I didn't mention Josh Turner. He's stated that as long as Akina remains on staff, he wouldn't open up his recruitment. He knows the reputation Texas has for putting DBs in the NFL year after year.

Don't know if you're laughing at me or that fact that the Aggies weren't in contention for these guys (except for Reed). My main point was that the Aggies aren't getting these guys. They could very well de-commit and play elsewhere, though.
    Last edited by TFloss32; 12-13-2010 at 12:51 PM.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    i wonder if applewhite knew about this before the cibolo steele game he attended on saturday. from what i hear, his status is uncertain still. maybe he is waiting to see if he gets offered the OC job in austin. he certainly has some major leverage now (no pun intended).

if major leaves does he try to take brown with him? or does he tell brown to remain committed to the longhorns ? would brown even care to leave the state?

i doubt brown would go to a&m anyway even if manziel and he are tight. brown would have to be either redshirted or steal minutes from both gray and michael who are both only going to be juniors.

and how many of these defensive players go with muschamp to florida ?

i would not expect the UT recruiting ranking to stay at # 1 but maybe brown makes some solid hires and manages to get the nervous recruits to stay with their verbal.

on a side note, lol at leach who publicly campaigned for the job and got punked.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Don't know if you're laughing at me or that fact that the Aggies weren't in contention for these guys (except for Reed). My main point was that the Aggies aren't getting these guys.
    I was laughing at you being worried but then squelching most of those worries yourself.

From your own post, it looks like the great majority of those guys are firmly committed to UT.

They could very well de-commit and play elsewhere, though.
    That could very well happen any time. Ryan Perrilioux decommited from UT to go to LSU for more playing time (or money depending on what you believe about the SEC).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I turn my back for a second, and your ignorance runs amok.

k. I didn't really think I was overestimating them either.

Sometimes it's hard to figure if people are serious or trying to be witty. Thanks for confirming your post was a post.
    I was stating an opinion. I believe you overestimate texas' pull--and it countered your assertion that their pull was understated with that opinion. Regardless of what your opinion of texas is, there's no denying that it doesn't take a whole of a lot for a traditional powerhouse to slip--just look at Michigan (a program w/ more wins and les than texas).

I don't think you realize how deep UT is. I suggest you check out all the 4-5 star recruits they've been hauling in on defense the last few years.
    I know how much their depth helped them this year, and I know from personal experience that recruiting alone does not a powerhouse make. A&M has had several high ranked recruiting classes and failed to produce on the field of play. That spoke to poor coaching then, and it spoke to the same at texas this past season--I don't care if the same coaching staff went to the mnc the year before. Even the perception of weakness in a coaching staff can be poisonous to a program.

devastating =/= detrimental.

after the clarification, it's not hard to understand now that you are simply full of and are also now backpedaling.
    I said "significantly detrimental"--last I checked, that's a stronger way of putting it than simply "detrimental." And for texas, another season like this would be extremely harmful to them in the long run.

Backpedaling my ass--you just like to argue semantics when you run out of legitimate things to say.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    on a side note, lol at leach who publicly campaigned for the job and got punked.
    yeah, the public perception of Leach is just side show pirate circus and having Donald Trump as his bff is not helping him get the Miami job either.

I think he's gonna have to settle for a head gig at a mid level school.

Thread Information