Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I could have been off base with Diggs and Edmond. Ced Reed, Quincy Russell and Desmond Jackson all had enough interest to take a visit to Aggieland. Call it what you want I guess.

DT, Desmond Jackson, Spring Westfield
    Jackson never considered the Aggies heavily...he might not have considered them at all.
    I know he took a visit to A&M at one point..

Let me go on record here... I don't think Texas will take a huge recruiting hit or anything, I was just pointing out some players that I thought could de-commit if things were to go sour. I do hope Ced Reed will look harder at A&M because he was a realistic option for changing his commit before all this even went down. (He was at the A&M/Nebraska game)

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    The major issue that Texas faces at the moment is if Mack Brown has it in him to rebuild the program. He's bascially been acting as a CEO for the past two years (knowing Muschamp would take over), not a head coach.
    That's hurt the team more than anything--they were good enough in '09 to get by basically on their sheer talent alone, not superior coaching, IMO. One of the many complaints I've heard from horns is how Mack seemed to lose touch with the team, and when the ship was sinking this year, they were too far gone for him to reassume his hands-on control. It will be interesting to see how Brown handles this offseason and his approach to coaching in '11. He's a of a recruiter, but his coaching is what they really need right now. Like TFloss said, we'll see if he has it in him.

For recruiting...it's definitely a big deal that Muschamp has left. A lot of recruits absolutely loved the guy and chose Texas for that reason. However, the de-commitment stuff is a bit premature (mostly by the Aggies on here)
    Let me make myself clear--I'm not in the camp that thinks that the Aggies are going to have an open season on texas recruits. Muschamp leaving was huge, but honestly I'd be surprised if a they started getting snapped up in droves by other Big 12 schools.

It will hurt texas though, as their talent dearth was exposed in '10--they need all the recruiting momentum that they can get, and an ace like Muschamp leaving puts an already shaky unit on thin ice.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    shannon at dc and applewhite at oc would be epic. UT would rape face. mack needs to take this opportunity because applewhite has always been a fan favorite.

, itd be hilarious to see mack offer leach a job as oc.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    On another note, our recruiting is still looking mediocre and got even worse yesterday with the loss of Marcus Kennard (to Tech, whatever tubs is promising is working tbh) and Floyd Raven to Mississippi.

These are 2 guys A&M really needed/counted on bringing in.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i wonder if applewhite knew about this before the cibolo steele game he attended on saturday. from what i hear, his status is uncertain still. maybe he is waiting to see if he gets offered the OC job in austin. he certainly has some major leverage now (no pun intended).

if major leaves does he try to take brown with him? or does he tell brown to remain committed to the longhorns ? would brown even care to leave the state?

i doubt brown would go to a&m anyway even if manziel and he are tight. brown would have to be either redshirted or steal minutes from both gray and michael who are both only going to be juniors.

and how many of these defensive players go with muschamp to florida ?

i would not expect the UT recruiting ranking to stay at # 1 but maybe brown makes some solid hires and manages to get the nervous recruits to stay with their verbal.

on a side note, lol at leach who publicly campaigned for the job and got punked.
    We'll never know what really went down with Muschamp and the Florida AD. It all supposedly happened on Saturday afternoon. My gut feeling is Muschamp had his agent put out feelers before Florida even came calling because he knew Mack Brown wasn't going anywhere. I'm sure Major is smart enough to figure out that Muschamp wasn't exactly content with everything that was happening.

Major going to Florida is a bit of a tricky situation. If he's offered the Texas OC job, he'll take it without a doubt. The only problem is it's not clear whether Mack trusts him enough to give him that promotion. I think Texas wants more a proven name and you could possibly see Major given a le of "Co-OC" where he can be an understudy for a couple of years and take over the OC job once the previous OC leaves for greener pastures. With Florida, Muschamp knows that he needs to hire proven names at the coordinator positions since he'll only be as good as his staff. He's tight with Applewhite but he could be making a major (no pun intended) gamble with his own job if he hires Major and their offense sputters. I believe Muschamp's first choices for coordinators are Dana Holgorsen of Okie State and Kirby Smart of Alabama. However, Holgorsen is apparently already interviewing for HC jobs such as Houston and Pitt and Kirby Smart makes a whole lot of money at Alabama. It'll be interesting to see who Muschamp hires because simple timing may not allow for him to hire the guys he truly covets.

None of the Texas recruits would go to Florida, IMO. Even if they wanted to, Florida would need the scholarship numbers to oblige them. Some of the defensive guys feel like they were burned by Muschamp and they'd look elsewhere other than Florida if they wanted to open up their recruitments. Malcolm Brown will most likely stick with Texas no matter what. Major Applewhite was a big reason he committed to Texas, but I think Texas is where he wants to be. I guess he could look at Alabama again, but I don't see him going to Texas A&M or Florida.

If Texas doesn't hire Applewhite soon, keep an eye out for OC Bryan Harsin of Boise State. They have their bowl game December 22nd and I could see Texas making an announcement for Harsin as their new OC before Christmas.
    Last edited by TFloss32; 12-13-2010 at 02:58 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Let me go on record here... I don't think Texas will take a huge recruiting hit or anything, I was just pointing out some players that I thought could de-commit if things were to go sour. I do hope Ced Reed will look harder at A&M because he was a realistic option for changing his commit before all this even went down. (He was at the A&M/Nebraska game)
    It's cool, I just can't let you Ags get too crazy.

I agree that Cedric Reed is a very realistic option for A&M. I've been waiting on the kid to cave for a while now. I just hope that Texas is truly where he wants to be.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I was stating an opinion. I believe you overestimate texas' pull--and it countered your assertion that their pull was understated with that opinion. Regardless of what your opinion of texas is, there's no denying that it doesn't take a whole of a lot for a traditional powerhouse to slip--just look at Michigan (a program w/ more wins and les than texas).
    right, and I asked you the basis of that opinion. You confirmed it was simply because I said someone else was underestimating UT/Brown.

The rest of this part is you moving the goal post or a similar type of fallacy.

I know how much their depth helped them this year, and I know from personal experience that recruiting alone does not a powerhouse make. A&M has had several high ranked recruiting classes and failed to produce on the field of play. That spoke to poor coaching then, and it spoke to the same at texas this past season--I don't care if the same coaching staff went to the mnc the year before. Even the perception of weakness in a coaching staff can be poisonous to a program.
    Are you saying that Will Muschamp did a poor job coaching this year?

Hard to tell.

I said "significantly detrimental"--last I checked, that's a stronger way of putting it than simply "detrimental." And for texas, another season like this would be extremely harmful to them in the long run.

Backpedaling my ass--you just like to argue semantics when you run out of legitimate things to say.
    If you aren't backpedaling, then you are ignorant of the meaning of the word "devastating".

Maybe you should just turn your back again and be on your way before it gets any worse for you.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That's hurt the team more than anything--they were good enough in '09 to get by basically on their sheer talent alone, not superior coaching, IMO. One of the many complaints I've heard from horns is how Mack seemed to lose touch with the team, and when the ship was sinking this year, they were too far gone for him to reassume his hands-on control. It will be interesting to see how Brown handles this offseason and his approach to coaching in '11. He's a of a recruiter, but his coaching is what they really need right now. Like TFloss said, we'll see if he has it in him.

Let me make myself clear--I'm not in the camp that thinks that the Aggies are going to have an open season on texas recruits. Muschamp leaving was huge, but honestly I'd be surprised if a they started getting snapped up in droves by other Big 12 schools.

It will hurt texas though, as their talent dearth was exposed in '10--they need all the recruiting momentum that they can get, and an ace like Muschamp leaving puts an already shaky unit on thin ice.
    You're correct on Mack. The rumor is Mack can be a pain to work for as he meddles in other coaches' business as he pleases...a micro-manager of sorts. He also lost a lot of trust and respect from many within the progam (players, coaches, etc.) when he threw everyone under the bus after the Iowa State loss. He basically said he couldn't trust anyone and failed to get the attention of everyone from that point on (which was one of the many reasons for the terrible season).

If Muschamp leaving hurts Texas recruiting in any way, it will be for 2012. There are several defensive recruits that were already leaning towards A&M. We may be having a conversation about A&M losing their DC soon, though. Tim DeRuyter could very well take the Air Force job if offered.

On another note, our recruiting is still looking mediocre and got even worse yesterday with the loss of Marcus Kennard (to Tech, whatever tubs is promising is working tbh) and Floyd Raven to Mississippi.

These are 2 guys A&M really needed/counted on bringing in.
    I forgot to update that they lost DB Josh Stewart of Denton Guyer as well. He committed to Oklahoma State for one reason or another.
    Last edited by TFloss32; 12-13-2010 at 02:59 PM.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    that's good you cleared up what you mean by the word "devastating".

to you it means not much will actually happen.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    The rest of this part is you moving the goal post or a similar type of fallacy.
    Incorrect. The rest of that post illustrates how difficult it is for even the best of powers to stay at the top. Your mind couldn't make that simple connection, apparently

Are you saying that Will Muschamp did a poor job coaching this year?

Hard to tell.
    Yes, and even so, his unit was the silver lining on the dark cloud of 2010 texas football. His departure after being tapped as head-coach-in-waiting erodes an already unstable base on that side of the ball.

If you aren't backpedaling, then you are ignorant of the meaning of the word "devastating".

Maybe you should just turn your back again and be on your way before it gets any worse for you.
    You're the one nitpicking words--maybe you should take your own advice.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    On another note, our recruiting is still looking mediocre and got even worse yesterday with the loss of Marcus Kennard (to Tech, whatever tubs is promising is working tbh)
    Tubs promised playing time and he has some family in Lubbock.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    that's good you cleared up what you mean by the word "devastating".

to you it means not much will actually happen.
    It means that texas already had a rough season and can't afford to take any hits like what could potentially happen with Muschamp's departure. Personally, I think they rebound nicely and rectify the situation with some headline-worthy hires, but if they drop the ball again, the road they're on right now is not good considering what they're working with already.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Incorrect. The rest of that post illustrates how difficult it is for even the best of powers to stay at the top. Your mind couldn't make that simple connection, apparently
    Right, it's difficult to stay on top. Are you next going to try to argue that defense wins championships?

Yes, and even so, his unit was the silver lining on the dark cloud of 2010 texas football. His departure after being tapped as head-coach-in-waiting erodes an already unstable base on that side of the ball.
    So yes, he did a bad job coaching..... but his unit was a silver lining...........but it's also an unstable base....

good post

You're the one nitpicking words--maybe you should take your own advice.
    neh, I get a kick out of watching someone else self-devastate.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It means that texas already had a rough season and can't afford to take any hits like what could potentially happen with Muschamp's departure. Personally, I think they rebound nicely and rectify the situation with some headline-worthy hires, but if they drop the ball again, the road they're on right now is not good considering what they're working with already.
    so it's not really devastating after all.

you should have just said so and saved yourself the failure.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    We may be having a conversation about A&M losing their DC soon, though. Tim DeRuyter could very well take the Air Force job if offered.
    This is very true--I'd expect a big hit in recruiting if DeRuyter left (although we have some very capable coaches waiting in the wings on the defensive side--including Dat Nguyen. Nguyen is my younger brother's coach and all the defensive guys are 100% behind that staff, support-wise).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    So yes, he did a bad job coaching..... but his unit was a silver lining...........but it's also an unstable base....

good post
    Let me make this simple: Muschamp was a best thing going on a bad team last year. His departure makes a bad thing much worse. Comprende?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    so it's not really devastating after all.

you should have just said so and saved yourself the failure.
    You are worse than a broken record--at least some scratches can be fixed.

You wanna get hung up on one word and play silly games to make yourself feel better, go right ahead. I've explained my position in enough different ways for a simpleton like you to wrap his mind around, but I guess the word "devastating" takes up too much space in your brain to allow for other rational thoughts. It is funny to watch a tech fan rushing to defend texas' "pull," though.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Ive always said college football success goes around and comes around...........noone, and I mean NOONE stays on top. But, many of UT t-shirters went off saying otherwise.

Everyone has seen the likes of Nebraska, OU, Florida and USC fall from the top, now its UTs turn.

Gig'em Aggies!!! The next great state of Texas superpower, and the next great T-shirt follower team!!! Kermit will be wearing this before next season guaranteed.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Ive always said college football success goes around and comes around...........noone, and I mean NOONE stays on top. But, many of UT t-shirters went off saying otherwise.

Everyone has seen the likes of Nebraska, OU, Florida and USC fall from the top, now its UTs turn.

Gig'em Aggies!!! The next great state of Texas superpower, and the next great T-shirt follower team!!! Kermit will be wearing this before next season guaranteed.
    LOL, I wouldn't go quite that far now. For one, TCU is tops in the state, IMO. Secondly, it'll be interesting to see how this Aggie program handles the moderate success it's had this year. We were kind of able to sneak up on teams (in the loosest possible sense of the phrase) by virtue of basically being left for dead by the media and many of our own fans (yes, the vaunted 12th Man) after that 3 game skid. Even once we started winning, many were conditioned to just wait for the other shoe to drop like it always seems to late in the season. There'll be no such "luxuries" next year, however. Expectations will be higher than they've ever been (and that's saying something for Aggies lol), and opponents will not take us lightly.

'11 will be a VERY intriguing year for cfb in the Great State of Texas, though!

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I guess the word "devastating" takes up too much space in your brain to allow for other rational thoughts. It is funny to watch a tech fan rushing to defend texas' "pull," though.
    Devastating smack talk!

sippy can't afford to lose one or two defensive guys after a year like this. Might not be "blood in the water," but it doesn't have to be, to be devastating for texas.
    If I ask you which two defensive guys would UT have to lose to be devastating for Texas, it wouldn't be the same as me asking which ones would be significantly detrimental.

Playing with semantics would be playing with two words that are the same. These two are not even though they might start with the letter D. Comprende?

I'm going to guess when you turn around again, the answer will be no.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    UT fell from the top around the same time OU did......back in the late 80s, early-mid 90s.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    i looked for something along those lines but couldnt find anything, seemed too good to be true -_-
    "I'm sick. I'm literally physically sick because of this. ESPN's damn updates saying he's gone. Screw that. If Mack doesn't do something seriously blockbuster in the next week, I'm ing rooting for UTSA"

There was one or two others. Pretty pathetic, not surprising.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    UT fell from the top around the same time OU did......back in the late 80s, early-mid 90s.

................yep making my point, its all cyclical. You are at the top for awhile, then you reload, then you rebuild and start at the bottom again. True some teams fall and build back up to the top faster than others, but the ups and downs happen to all teams. If someone is near or at the top for a decade, that is damned good though.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    Word from ESPN is that Charlie Weis will be the next Offensive Coordinator at Florida with Muschamp. That is going to be one crazy good team.

Thread Information