http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....1b702d28.html

Texas A&M's DeRuyter not on the head coaching market: 'I haven’t had anybody inquire'

01:24 AM CST on Thursday, December 16, 2010

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

TEXAS A&M

Coach Mike Sherman hopes to have two injured starters back for the AT&T Cotton Bowl on Jan. 7.
    Defensive end Tony Jerod-Eddie (broken foot) and defensive back Coryell Judie (shoulder) could return for LSU, Sherman said Wednesday. Jerod-Eddie underwent surgery immediately after the win over Texas to close the regular-season. Judie, who solidified the secondary and kick returns, may have surgery after the bowl.

Defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter, a potentially hot coaching property after a strong first season at A&M, says he hasn’t been contacted by any schools about vacancies.

“I haven’t had anybody inquire,” said DeRuyter, who doesn’t have an agent and said he would refer any inquiry to head coach Mike Sherman first.

BAYLOR

Two junior college football players signed national letters of intent Wednesday, Baylor announced.

Offensive lineman Nick Johnson (Navarro) and defensive back David Whitmore (Iowa Western) are expected to enroll in January and participate in spring drills. Johnson, the younger brother of senior linebacker Antonio Johnson, played alongside current Baylor offensive lineman Robert T. Griffin last season. Whitmore had four interceptions this season and should help immediately in the secondary.

TEXAS TECH

Junior college receiver Marcus Kennard signed a national letter of intent Wednesday and brings big-play potential, coach Tommy Tuberville said.

Kennard (6-4, 190) recorded 45 receptions at Butler (Kansas) Community College, averaging 19.8 yards a catch with 13 touchdowns. Tech loses seniors Detron Lewis and Lyle Leong, who combined for 143 receptions and 23 touchdowns this season.

TEXAS

Fifth-year senior Kristen Nash will rejoin the women’s basketball team, beginning with the BTI Classic Dec. 18-20 in Las Vegas.

Nash, a 6-3 former Plano West standout and the older sister of forward Kathleen Nash, averaged 3.5 points and 4.2 rebounds last season. She had decided to forego her final season of eligibility to concentrate on graduate school. But Texas (5-3) has been shorthanded inside since 6-4 sop re Cokie Reed underwent season-ending foot surgery.

• • •

football updates for each school but t.u., where women's basketball is the main focus. awesome.

Is reversing the letters, lower casing them, and putting periods after each one supposed to be funny or something?
    no, its accurate. the article, however, is hilarious.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Is reversing the letters, lower casing them, and putting periods after each one supposed to be funny or something?

That's probably a close second to replacing the letters 'ch' with the word 'k' for example ttek (get it?) every time someone mentions Texas or Tech.

I literally my pants laughing. It's just as funny the 1000th time as the 1st

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    football updates for each school but t.u., where women's basketball is the main focus. awesome.
    either that or nothing has changed for ut football recruiting.

your sense of what's funny is what's funny.

lol Marcus Kennard choosing ttek over bright future a&m

#35 Pittsburgh Pisces MosesGuthrie's Avatar
    My Team
    Penn State Nittany Lions
    Post Count
    JGW weren't you an Aggie for like half a semester or something?

Oh and the proper name of the school is The University of Texas....the fact that you and others like you purposely play dumb is what is funny.

My Team
    Oklahoma Sooners
    Post Count
    lol jgw thinking he's clever and funny

lol still asshurt over the rose bowl

Aggieland Spurs Fan LoneStarState'sPride's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Unlike the arbitrary misspelling of "aggy" by others, the whole "t.u." thing does, in fact, have historical significance. A&M was the STATE'S (Baylor was #1, but they're private, obviously) first ins ution of higher learning, predating Texas @ Austin by 7 years. And don't give me the whole "texas was planned and in the works first" spiel--you know if the shoe was on the other foot, Longhorns would laugh that cop out right out the door (and rightfully so, IMO). The t.u. thing is kept alive as a reminder that A&M has been representing and graduating Texans longer than any other public ins ution out there.

As far as the whole fight song thing, there's a few very common misconceptions that need to be cleared up. The Aggie War Hymn (fight song) actually has two verses. The first is all about TAMU--the second a thumb of the nose at texas. Aggies did not like the first verse at all when it was introduced (the common gripe was that it was too "ivy-league-ish"), and therefore elected to just sing the second verse twice. A&M does have a school song, "The Spirit of Aggieland," that's solely about TAMU (much like Texas' "The Eyes of Texas."

It's easy to act like Texas' tradition ignores A&M, until you look into the origin of some of their school songs as well. First of all, the version of "The Eyes of Texas" that's currently sung is actually the second iteration of the song (much like A&M's two-versed War Hymn). The first one wasn't uniquely "Texan" enough (even though it was actually well-received), so it was scrapped for the current one (a good move, IMO).

As far as "Texas Fight" goes, the song owes it's very existence to A&M. It's known as "Taps" to the Longhorn Band, and with good reason--the song is actually the notes to the mournful Army bugle call, but sped up to a lively tempo. The writer of the song, Col. Walter S. Hunnicutt, wrote the following words to explain the song's origins (according to http://mbe187.music.utexas.edu/Longh...ory/Songs.aspx)

"I wrote 'Texas Fight' ... in an attempt to counteract the songs and yells of the Texas Aggies, which were not too complimentary to our Student Body and some of which tended to ridicule 'The Eyes of Texas'.
    "Long before I entered The University of Texas in 1909 and until about the year 1928 the Aggies had one of the most effective and awe inspiring songs used by any student body any where any time. 'Farmers Fight' at that time was their sacred College song. ... It was to them what 'The Eyes of Texas' had always been to us. The song was a repe ion of the words 'Farmers Fight' sung to the well known bugle call 'Taps' in the same slow tempo as the bugle call is used by the army for lights out at night.
    "Returning to Marlin, TX after World War One I resumed my practice of attending most of the Texas foot-ball games, especially those with A. & M. It occurred to me that an effective way to strike back at the Aggies was to write a 'Texas Fight' song in answer to their 'Farmers Fight' using the same bugle call 'Taps' changed to lively march time and having 'Texas' throughout the song instead of 'Farmers'. 'Texas Fight' (Texas Taps) is the result."
    The lyrics for "Texas Fight" are as follows:

Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
    And it's goodbye to A&M.
    And we'll put over one more win.
    For it's Texas that we love best.
    Hail, Hail, The gang's all here,
    And it's good-bye to all the rest!

(YELL)
    Yea Orange! Yea White!
    Yea Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    Texas Fight! Texas Fight,
    Yea Texas Fight!
    Texas Fight! Texas Fight,
    Yea Texas Fight!

The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
    All the livelong day.
    The Eyes of Texas are upon you,
    You cannot get away.
    For it's Texas that we love best.
    Hail, Hail, The gang's all here,
    And it good-bye to all the rest!
    I know this was long, but there's a ton of history interconnecting the traditions of both A&M and Texas. Not a one-way street by any means.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The whole "tu" or "aggy" or "ttek" thing is just like "Sperms", "Lamers", "foreskins", Cowgirls" thing.....middle school attempts at trying to rile up the opposition. If you use them...fail....if you get pissed off by them...bigger fail.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    there's a ton of history interconnecting the traditions of both A&M and Texas. Not a one-way street by any means
    this.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    I've never thought "t.u.," "aggy," "gaylor," etc. was knee-slappingly hilarious, tbh. I just have fun w/ it on the internet and on the A&M campus--truth be told, though, I've never called a Texas student a "sip" to their face, nor have I received "sheep humper" comment to my face. Doesn't do anything for me, I guess.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I've never thought "t.u.," "aggy," "gaylor," etc. was knee-slappingly hilarious, tbh. I just have fun w/ it on the internet and on the A&M campus--truth be told, though, I've never called a Texas student a "sip" to their face, nor have I received "sheep humper" comment to my face. Doesn't do anything for me, I guess.
    gaylor...forgot about that one....I figured most years their football team was insult enough.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    gaylor...forgot about that one....I figured most years their football team was insult enough.
    Ouch lol. Yeah, I lived in Waco for a little bit, so I got an up-close view of the Aggie hatred up there (they're more wrapped around the axle about A&M than we Ags are about Texas, I you not).

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Ouch lol. Yeah, I lived in Waco for a little bit, so I got an up-close view of the Aggie hatred up there (they're more wrapped around the axle about A&M than we Ags are about Texas, I you not).
    Probably still bent over the time you guys tried to bring a howitzer to s Waco! But then again they deserved it.

http://thecollegefootballindependent...ring-1926.html

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Probably still bent over the time you guys tried to bring a howitzer to s Waco! But then again they deserved it.

http://thecollegefootballindependent...ring-1926.html
    LOL, I think there's about 3 different versions of that story, depending on whether you're talking to an old Ag or an old Bear. Most of the true mutual hate in that Battle of the Brazos rivalry is from back in the day--a lot of "new army" Ags don't even know where Baylor is, which is a shame, IMO.

Unlike the arbitrary misspelling of "aggy" by others, the whole "t.u." thing does, in fact, have historical significance. A&M was the STATE'S (Baylor was #1, but they're private, obviously) first ins ution of higher learning, predating Texas @ Austin by 7 years. And don't give me the whole "texas was planned and in the works first" spiel--you know if the shoe was on the other foot, Longhorns would laugh that cop out right out the door (and rightfully so, IMO). The t.u. thing is kept alive as a reminder that A&M has been representing and graduating Texans longer than any other public ins ution out there.

As far as the whole fight song thing, there's a few very common misconceptions that need to be cleared up. The Aggie War Hymn (fight song) actually has two verses. The first is all about TAMU--the second a thumb of the nose at texas. Aggies did not like the first verse at all when it was introduced (the common gripe was that it was too "ivy-league-ish"), and therefore elected to just sing the second verse twice. A&M does have a school song, "The Spirit of Aggieland," that's solely about TAMU (much like Texas' "The Eyes of Texas."

It's easy to act like Texas' tradition ignores A&M, until you look into the origin of some of their school songs as well. First of all, the version of "The Eyes of Texas" that's currently sung is actually the second iteration of the song (much like A&M's two-versed War Hymn). The first one wasn't uniquely "Texan" enough (even though it was actually well-received), so it was scrapped for the current one (a good move, IMO).

As far as "Texas Fight" goes, the song owes it's very existence to A&M. It's known as "Taps" to the Longhorn Band, and with good reason--the song is actually the notes to the mournful Army bugle call, but sped up to a lively tempo. The writer of the song, Col. Walter S. Hunnicutt, wrote the following words to explain the song's origins (according to http://mbe187.music.utexas.edu/Longh...ory/Songs.aspx)

I know this was long, but there's a ton of history interconnecting the traditions of both A&M and Texas. Not a one-way street by any means.
    bro, this is too much information and too logical for bandwagon t.u. fan and perhaps even real t.u. fan (if they do in fact exist).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    bro, this is too much information and too logical for bandwagon t.u. fan and perhaps even real t.u. fan (if they do in fact exist).
    Heh. Funny thing is, real Texas students/graduates are usually quite respectful of the A&M/Texas rivalry. Bandwagon fans (of both schools--yes, there are tshirt Aggies lol) are usually the ones that cause the problems due to their lack of knowledge of history.

Heh. Funny thing is, real Texas students/graduates are usually quite respectful of the A&M/Texas rivalry. Bandwagon fans (of both schools--yes, there are tshirt Aggies lol) are usually the ones that cause the problems due to their lack of knowledge of history.
    i'd agree with that. meaning, there are a ton of fake/ignorant t.u. fans.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    history?

how about being a school that oiled the gears of segregation from its beginnings? i wonder if they teach that in texas history courses at a&m.
    http://media.www.pvpanther.com/media...-2438619.shtml

ive also heard the baylor-a&m story from older folks in the military. apparently a baylor student shot an a&m football player. the corps declared war, so they commandeered a train with artillery and rode it to waco. they had the cannon aimed at baylor until eisenhower had to issue them an order to stand down.

Thread Information