Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How so? MTV isn't stopping NIN from saying anything, or limiting what they say, they just aren't letting them say it on their network. NIN can say whatever the they want, just not on MTV's dime on MTV's network during MTV's award show. Where does the Cons ution say that TV stations need to hand over airtime to any celebrities who wish to make a statement? This has nothing to do with free speach and everything to do with MTV not wanting to deal with partisan politics after the election is over.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's the point...the election is over....so it won't sway potential voters will it.....it's a moot point....he hates Bush...nuff said. What if he put up a poster of Bin Laden, Hitler or Tipper Gore...what that be offensive to MTV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NIN rules, the new album rules

bush sucks big gaping ass
    if life were a giant pizza, bush would be the traces of excrement that end up on it due to the employees dirty hands

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How so? MTV isn't stopping NIN from saying anything, or limiting what they say, they just aren't letting them say it on their network. NIN can say whatever the they want, just not on MTV's dime on MTV's network during MTV's award show. Where does the Cons ution say that TV stations need to hand over airtime to any celebrities who wish to make a statement? This has nothing to do with free speach and everything to do with MTV not wanting to deal with partisan politics after the election is over.
    No one is saying that MTV Is legally obligated to allow NIN to do what they want, so your point is moot. People are allowed to have expectations of networks and they are allowed to voice displeasure when the networks do not meet those expectations.

Generaly, Americans hold the freedom of speech and expression in very high regard. While what MTV is doing is by no means illegal, it most definetly goes against the spirit of the right.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remember free speech doesnt apply to showing a regular picture of the president on tv

talk about thought police
    NIN is perfectly free to buy a network and air their picture. Until then, we're talking about MTV's free speech rights and their right to not air anything they don't want to, except paid political advertising that is.

Oh, and Toby Keith's music is primarily pro-military and pro-America and anti-Terrorist, not Pro-Bush or pro-War. Hence, MTV's "partisan" remark with respect to NIN's desire to depict the President.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is saying that MTV Is legally obligated to allow NIN to do what they want, so your point is moot. People are allowed to have expectations of networks and they are allowed to voice displeasure when the networks do not meet those expectations.
    Where is the right to expectation found? I do, however, agree with the right to peacably assemble and protest things you don't like...so long as you don't violate anyone's rights in the process.
    Generaly, Americans hold the freedom of speech and expression in very high regard. While what MTV is doing is by no means illegal, it most definetly goes against the spirit of the right.
    No one has the freedom of speech guarantee on a privately operated television network. Whatever they want aired on their network, within the standards set by law, gets aired. Whatever they don't want aired...doesn't.

There is no "spirit" to the guarantee of free speech to be violated. As I said in my last post, it is within MTV's rights to air, or not air, whatever they see fit. NIN's had the right to withdraw from the broadcast or to conduct themselves within the constraints placed on them by the network owner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, thanks for trying to be a hardass and saying exactly what I did before, except...

If there is no spirit of free speech, why do people get upset when corporations enact forms of censorship?

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, thanks for trying to be a hardass and saying exactly what I did before, except...

If there is no spirit of free speech, why do people get upset when corporations enact forms of censorship?
    I don't care if corporations enact censorship in their own property. I feel sometimes that, it's kind of a wussy way for them to avoid lawsuits. Just like everyone else, I want more of what I like and less of what I don't. When what I like is censored, it ticks me off. When what I don't like is dumped on me, that sucks too. There is no "spirit" of the freedom of speech when it comes to money. That is an illusion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its pretty sad when people have to argue for free speech so much,
    and by people i mean myself and manny
    add MTV to General Motors to bull TRO feels the need to take up for whenver they get questioned, I thought for conservatives MTV was teaching our children to be gay?

look at the facts
    its an unadulterated picture of Bush?
    how can they not let them do it
    bull !!!
    but NIN handled it, they told them to go f themselves which is the only thing they can do
    again thats the definition of thought police

and i dont really want to be known as the toby keith hater around here, but regardless of his views on anything his music still is worse than avril lavinge and ahlee simpson combined.
    dam he blows

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Word....but Avril is hot....

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its pretty sad when people have to argue for free speech so much,
    and by people i mean myself and manny
    add MTV to General Motors to bull TRO feels the need to take up for whenver they get questioned, I thought for conservatives MTV was teaching our children to be gay?

look at the facts
    its an unadulterated picture of Bush?
    how can they not let them do it
    bull !!!
    but NIN handled it, they told them to go f themselves which is the only thing they can do
    again thats the definition of thought police

and i dont really want to be known as the toby keith hater around here, but regardless of his views on anything his music still is worse than avril lavinge and ahlee simpson combined.
    dam he blows
    I understand your views on freedom of speech. But you must remember it's just as much the right of MTV to refuse having the picture on their show, as it is for NIN to display it. NIN can display it all the want to in public. I'm all for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ressurected one you have absolutely no chance against manny, pack up your conservative bags and leave

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ressurected one you have absolutely no chance against manny, pack up your conservative bags and leave
    ummmm...why don't you pack up your liberal bags and leave?

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no idea. Maybe they're whiners?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ummmm...why don't you pack up your liberal bags and leave?

Because if i openly admit that i am liberal then people like you will assume im unamerican

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because if i openly admit that i am liberal then people like you will assume im unamerican
    I don't necessarily assume anything.

I was just remarking on your self-proclaimed "right" to order anyone who fits into some random niche away, that's all. If you have that right, then why doesn't anyone else?

Thread Information