My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I know the $300 million ($30 million per year) number has been thrown out there for a while. Doesn't look like that will happen. How much do think the contract will end up being?

8 years for $240 million? More? Less? Will Albert make it even more affordable for the Cardinals? Something like 8 years, $200 million? Will they not even be able to come to terms and have to wait until next winter?

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    8 year, 200 million seems reasonable. Can't go longer than that considering his age. Can't go 30 million per either, as it's too astronomical a % for anyone not the Yankees/Red Sox.

A 7 year, 180 seems like a great place to start the talking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really don't think it will go too far north of 200 mil. If he really wants around 30 per, then look for a 7 year deal

Also, are there any questions regarding his real age?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever his contract will be, it will be jaw dropping. The question will be, is how much that contract will limit the Cards to sign other players in the future?
    Last edited by jjktkk; 02-13-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more than ryan howard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steroids are really expensive these days

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Also, are there any questions regarding his real age?
    Of course there are. Any of them founded? No... but anytime you have players from central and south Americas (and the islands) it's a fair question. Didn't Julio Franco age like five years upon retiring?

Edit: Franco aged 4 years upon retiring. He has three listed birth years, 1961, 1958 and 1954. The MLB record was 58, but shortly after retiring, records showing he was born in 1954 surfaced.

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever his contract will be, it will be jaw dropping. The question will be, is how much that contract will limit the Cards to sign other players in the future?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    I don't think there's any way in that the Cards sign him. He's going to the Yanks or the Red Sox.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I don't think there's any way in that the Cards sign him. He's going to the Yanks or the Red Sox.
    Really? I don't think there's any way the Cards don't re-sign him.

Are the Yankees or Red Sox going to sign Pujols to DH? Each has an all star at first base already. If any teams make a legitimate play for Pujols, I would think Mets and Dodgers before Yankees and Red Sox.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Angels

Arte Moreno has the coin and he loves having a Latino face of the franchise to be compe ive in the LA market. He's discussed such on several occasions. They have solid starting pitching, have some quality prospects, but need a star. It's ideal for Pujols as they are an AL team, so longterm he can split time at 1st and DH. It's a good ballpark for hitting, as well.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Angels are so intriguing that Adrian Beltre and Carl Crawford pretty much laughed at em.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    so tpark are you back to being a Cardinals fan?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    The Angels are so intriguing that Adrian Beltre and Carl Crawford pretty much laughed at em.
    Angels have money and the market. No reason to base speculation on two players decisions. If Moreno wants a player, he'll break the bank. He wants to win, not just compete, which is important for a player like Albert.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Angels have money and the market. No reason to base speculation on two players decisions. If Moreno wants a player, he'll break the bank. He wants to win, not just compete, which is important for a player like Albert.

Yeah just like with Beltre and Crawford and Cliff Lee!

oh wait....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm from St. Louis and a huge Cardinals follower. I expect he'll end up getting something like $26.5 M per year for 7 or 8 years. The idea that he'd make the same than Ryan Howard's $25 M seems too crazy to consider, but I also think the days of the $30 M contract are gone. Even for the best player in baseball.

I don't see the Yanks or Sox signing Albert, not just because they already have guys at those positions, but also because they don't get the same incremental financial benefit from his signing that the other big teams do. If a team like the Angels or Cubs signs him --- BAM, huge revenue boost. NY or Boston, not so much.

The Dodgers fit, but only if their ownership situation is resolved. Otherwise, no way.

I think the odds are:

St. Louis: 75%
    Chicago: 8%
    Anaheim: 8%
    Mets: 4%
    Yanks/Sox: 3%
    The field: 2%

If there are serious suitors for Albert, he gets $28M from the Cards. If there aren't, he gets closer to $25M.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mets have this guy named Bernie Madoff thats gonna keep them out...

Thread Information