Page 122 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 5943
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'll go then.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Hateful Eight. Clocking in at almost 3 hours is ridiculous. Typical Tarantino film..AKA...the "N" word used in every sentence and blood galore. Overall, decent flick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I caught an oldie-but-goodie last nite on one of my cable channels..."5 Card Stud" from '68 with Dean Martin & Robert Mitchum. Just outstanding. I'd been long enough twixt viewings where I really enjoyed this.

:::SPOILERS::: Concerns a poker game that turns into a lynching party in the opening minutes. Mitchum comes to town as the avenging brother to the lynched. He's under the guise of a preacher and loiters his role in "Night of the Hunter" to an extent. Martin is the chief gambler and he does well here. Roddy McDowell, at absolute prime here is the wild card and he drives this film as a lethal sociopath. Katherine Justice & Inger Stevens (a year away from suicide) play the women. They're both just drop dead gorgeous and hold their own against the men.

Yaphet Kotto has a plum role as the saloon barkeep and is present the night of the lynching so he too is stalked & murdered. but, dead still manages to finger(s) the killer. A non believer he builds a church with his finger tips. He is excellent here as he underplays his part & lights the screen. Queried/challenged as to why a black man was permitted to sit with whites and play poker (1880) McDowell, who lies to implicate Kotto as a player instead of bartender matter-of-factly answers="So what, it was after hours."

This film has aged well. Not for children, I initially saw it in my mid-teens. One cannot appreciate this psychological study unless you're an adult. There are many layers here of relationships (father/son, brother/sister, whites/blacks, men/women, women/women) that are most interesting on repeated viewings. I've always enjoyed this film and highly recommend it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Black Mass 7/10

People are giving this movie just a little more credit than it's due.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    The Boys from Brazil (1978) - 7/10...if only it were true, the world would be a better place right now.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Spotlight

Outstanding...9/10

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Conjuring 2. 7.75 score. I thought it was more exciting than the first, and the special effects were really good

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Speaking of movies.

My son in law talked my wife into buying this....Fire Stick? My son in law is a computer wiz, and into anything electronics. So Judy buys this thing he takes it home and .........I must now have 10,000 movies on this thing. He did something illegal but not sure what.

In the last few days.

Blackhat....good flick~
    Gods of Egypt....not bad.
    Southpaw....good flick~

, you even have access to movies just now in the theaters. How cool is that?

I gotta be breaking some law.
    Last edited by Avante; 07-16-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Green Room - this is horror done right. There is one scene and one shot in particular that is still burned into my brain. If you saw the movie, you probably know what I am talking about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Green Room - this is horror done right. There is one scene and one shot in particular that is still burned into my brain. If you saw the movie, you probably know what I am talking about.
    I'm a huge horror film fan. Loved Green Room. Glad I rushed to the theatre to see it too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Boys from Brazil (1978) - 7/10...if only it were true, the world would be a better place right now.
    Yep, always a fine standby. My father was all disappointed that Peck did this film. Who cares, it's just a character for cryin' out loud.

I read where Olivier needed a payday here to allay UK tax collectors.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I caught "One On One" from '77 with Robby Benson & Annette O'Toole. About a college basketball player. The movie has not aged well in 40 years. I remember sitting in the theatre watching this like it was yesterday. Christ. Anyway, Seals & Croft does the music and it's a treat for that reason. G.D. Spradlin plays the coach and he does an admirable job, as usual. O'Toole is drop dead gorgeous here. Even Benson looks fine in his corduroys.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    TCM is saluting Olivia de Havilland this month and they showed "The Heiress" from '49 the other nite. This is one of the greatest movies ever put on celluloid. Montgomery Clift plays the fortune hunter and while a fine actor he can not keep up with OdH here. Nobody could. It's that good of a character and the execution of the role is beyond anything imaginable. Ralph Richardson plays her father and it is this relationship, father/daughter where the movie climbs into the ages. I've seen this film numerous times and each time I find something new and worthy. This one, I will take to the grave.

TCM is a great achievement for mankind. They done good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Harper 1966 Paul Newman. Meh 5/10.
    I'd rather see 5 Card Stud after Threads review.

I caught an oldie-but-goodie last nite on one of my cable channels..."5 Card Stud" from '68 with Dean Martin & Robert Mitchum. Just outstanding. I'd been long enough twixt viewings where I really enjoyed this.
    Altho I did enjoy this meatball Pamela Tiffin in Harper.

Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    going to check out Green Room thanks to the recommendations in this thread. always looking for a good horror flick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Harper 1966 Paul Newman. Meh 5/10.
    I'd rather see 5 Card Stud after Threads review.

Altho I did enjoy this meatball Pamela Tiffin in Harper.
    I too have tried "Harper" and cannot recommend it. It's weak. The one bright overture is the the use of Arthur Hill. He's always a solid citizen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    going to check out Green Room thanks to the recommendations in this thread. always looking for a good horror flick.
    I've spoke of this film before but, the original "The Wicker Man" (1973) is by far the scariest film of any genre I've ever borne witness to. The denouement is devastating, absolutely crushing.

The persistent mixing & blending of sex and sexuality & of evil is beautifully stunning.

You'll take it with you the rest of your days.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    watched Warcraft in theaters, probably one of the few who did. not even sure why I went, i'm not into fantasy nor ever played the games. I guess I liked the look from the trailers. I enjoyed it. Visually it was very striking, great work from ILM as well. I'll take for it but I'll rank it better than The FanFiction Awakens.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just saw it. Good movie 7/10 imo.

Spoilers

Is the scene you're talking about the disembowelment scene or the pitbull mauling scene?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I just saw it. Good movie 7/10 imo.

Spoilers

Is the scene you're talking about the disembowelment scene or the pitbull mauling scene?
    Neither. "The Arm Scene." Guess it wasn't as memorable as I thought.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Neither. "The Arm Scene." Guess it wasn't as memorable as I thought.
    The arm bar or machete scene?

I guess since I see that frequently at work. The dog ripping out the guy's throat was a lot more memorable for me, tbh..

Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    meh. it wasn't bad, but I feel shorted. honestly, feels like a 4 or 5 outta 10 kinda flick. maybe i'm expecting too much.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    Yep, always a fine standby. My father was all disappointed that Peck did this film. Who cares, it's just a character for cryin' out loud.

I read where Olivier needed a payday here to allay UK tax collectors.
    Halfway through the film I subconsciously forgot Peck was playing Mengele...Admittedly through the first 40 minutes or so I saw him as Atticus Finch so it was initially hard to grasp. Olivier probably needed the money for sure, but I thought this role was penance for playing Zell so well in Marathon Man (a Mengele-esque character). It could be argued that Olivier was better suited than Peck to play Mengele, but he would've been ostracized by the Jewish Hollywood elite for taking back-to-back Nazi roles...................imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^Yep, they double featured those two films during that time frame. The sewer scene (makes him eat the diamonds) at the end of MM screws the legacy of that film. Damn!

But, before that it's an excellent story. The diamond district scene is pure genius.

& Scheider is just at premium prime there in that dark suit. Christ!

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Just watched Teenage Dirtbag. I like it; might buy it.

Thread Information