Page 163 of 238 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 5943
    My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Someone compared it to Dunkirk. Which I thought was good, not great.
    Is it better or worse than that?
    I only gave 1917 an 8.5 because the premise kind of reminded me a tad too much like Saving Private Ryan. I think, though, overall the cinematography and sound are on an even par with Dunkirk, I think Dunkirk had me more enthralled on the effects of the aforementioned shooting and the claustrophobic nature of the sound effects. Though, to be fair, I saw Dunkirk in IMAS format, so that isn't a knock on 1917. I believe I gave Dunkirk a 9. I think 1917 isn't far off and its really splitting hairs. If you haven't seen it, I say catch it because its gold. I enjoyed both immensely. I think, thought, Dunkirk was a rough time in my personal life, so it hit me differently than 1917 did.

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bad Boys for Life - 2/5. I don't know why I even bothered tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know I'm late to the party but I just saw "Parasite". 5 out of 5. One of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This movie loses so much in the translated sub les. If you can’t understand Korean, don’t even bother. It would be like playing golf with a bowling ball.
    I don't know Korean, I saw it with translations that seemed taken out of Google translation and I still thought it was one of the best movies I ever saw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Parasite - 7.0

Thought is was well set up but maybe should have gone a different way.
    Which other way could have gone?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Which other way could have gone?
    Don't know. I thought they were going to try to assume the other family's iden y. It was strange that they specifically asked for the deed to the house and other identification and then never did anything with it.

I'm not unhappy with the ending. But at some point in the movie, it became kind of clunky to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched one last nite on TUBI---"Clown" where this poor sap dresses as a clown for his son's birthday party & then can't get the gd costume, or, makeup back off. Gruesome in parts, cannibalism.
    The Dale.
    I was gonna ask you what you thought of this little cupcake Barbara Rush in Magnificent Obsession 1954 on TMC.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Uncut Gems - ed up. I can't even say what I want to say without mentioning spoilers.
    Fire away.
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282278&p=10032897#post10032897

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Dale.
    I was gonna ask you what you thought of this little cupcake Barbara Rush in Magnificent Obsession 1954 on TMC.
    Did not care for her that much, guy. Sorry.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    A good one from TUBI

"Aftermath" with Anthony Michael Hall, Chris Penn & Tony Danza.

This is special. Penn died in '06, but, this movie is listed in '13, so, I don't know how that happened, but, Penn is absolutely riveting here an ex-con who works for Hall on his construction crew. Totally psycho Penn is an absolutely wonderment to watch in this.

Hall is a hot shot, with a hot wife, a hot house who thinks he can't be touched. He's wrong & does not see Penn coming, or, going.

Danza is local muscle, in way over his head in an almost comedic sequence that isn't over when it's over.

Bears re-watch to catch all the details.

Don't miss this one, fellows.
    Last edited by Thread; 01-31-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A good one from TUBI

"Aftermatch" with Anthony Michael Hall, Chris Penn & Tony Danza.

This is special. Penn died in '06, but, this movie is listed in '13, so, I don't know how that happened, but, Penn is absolutely riveting here an ex-con who works for Hall on his construction crew. Totally psycho Penn is an absolutely wonderment to watch in this.

Hall is a hot shot, with a hot wife, a hot house who thinks he can't be touched. He's wrong & does not see Penn coming, or, going.

Danza is local muscle, in way over his head in an almost comedic sequence that isn't over when it's over.

Bears re-watch to catch all the details.

Don't miss this one, fellows.
    It's "Aftermath" bozo.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    It's "Aftermath" bozo.
    Don't be a hardass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't be a hardass.
    If you're going to recommend something, at least get the name right. I was Googling to see what else I could watch it on and wasted about half a minute looking for something that doesn't exist.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    If you're going to recommend something, at least get the name right. I was Googling to see what else I could watch it on and wasted about half a minute looking for something that doesn't exist.
    Understood.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "Vulgar" on TUBI is a another "clown" experience that is memorable. A guy on society's fringe makes a living entertaining kids as a clown, but, times are tough & he decides to change his target audience. He'll be a cross dressing clown for adults. First nite he hooks up with the wrong bunch and is sexually assaulted by a family of sickos.

[Lucky to be alive] he grows despondent as he returns to his former clown assignments of children, but his life changes when he (dressed in clown costume) saves the life of a young child during a criminal act. He's given his own television show & the attendant riches & change in social standing.

There's a problem...the original family of sickies watch TV as well & spot him & construct a plan of blackmail that leads to a terrifically mounted ending.

The fat guy from "American History X" is in this as a one of the family and he is quality.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Here's a do entary not to watch. I checked it out because it was nominated for an Oscar and the description looked interesting.
    But I found it pretty boring.

Honeyland

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ready Or Not-3.5/5-Pretty good, not incredible. Didn't quite live up to the hype.
    Uncut Gems-4.5/5-Enjoyed it, Sandler was great tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    still can't get over how good 1917 was. it's been on my mind. i recommend it to everyone. i wouldn't say dunkirk comes close to it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The reason why it was released in '13 is because Penn died during filming in '06. Here is the information, SfS:::

[[[Shelved for 9 years27 August 2015 | by Seth_Rogue_OneSee all my reviews
    And seemingly for a very understandable reason.

It just goes from being one type of movie to being a complete different one with little coherence.

The reason for that is pretty simple Chris Penn died during the filming of this movie so the movie couldn't be finished.

The director had to re-write the whole movie to make it work around the scenes that he had filmed with Chris Penn and add additional characters and sub plots.

And unfortunately it doesn't work, first half runs fairly smoothly but the second half just becomes a puddle of randomness and leaves you with more questions than answers.

It's not all bad, but there's not a lot good with it either.

But at least Chris Penn fans will finally get to see his final performance.]]]

I don't judge it as harshly as this fellow does & Penn is astounding.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The reason why it was released in '13 is because Penn died during filming in '06. Here is the information, SfS:::

It just goes from being one type of movie to being a complete different one with little coherence.

The reason for that is pretty simple Chris Penn died during the filming of this movie so the movie couldn't be finished.

The director had to re-write the whole movie to make it work around the scenes that he had filmed with Chris Penn and add additional characters and sub plots.

And unfortunately it doesn't work, first half runs fairly smoothly but the second half just becomes a puddle of randomness and leaves you with more questions than answers.

I'm finishing up a series and will give this a shot when I'm done. Looks good. Thanks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm finishing up a series and will give this a shot when I'm done. Looks good. Thanks.
    Good. I look forward to your thoughts, SfS.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I checked this out last night with fairly low expectations. How good could a movie be with Tony Danza, Anthony Michael Hall, and your top actor (Penn) dying before the movie was finished shooting.
    But it was actually pretty good. All those guys were excellent. Penn basically reviving his Nice Guy Eddie role. Too bad he passed. He could have made a living playing wise guys the rest of his life. He's as imposing as Joe Pesci seemingly
    on the edge of losing it at any given moment.

Seemed like the director experimented quite a bit with some odd techniques that weren't consistent throughout the movie. Kind of weird scoring in that there was always music playing even during mundane dialogues.
    That being said, it all worked and this was wayyyyy better than I thought it would be. Hall's wife is something to look at as well.

7/10

Nice call there old timer.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I checked this out last night with fairly low expectations. How good could a movie be with Tony Danza, Anthony Michael Hall, and your top actor (Penn) dying before the movie was finished shooting.
    But it was actually pretty good. All those guys were excellent. Penn basically reviving his Nice Guy Eddie role. Too bad he passed. He could have made a living playing wise guys the rest of his life. He's as imposing as Joe Pesci seemingly
    on the edge of losing it at any given moment.

Seemed like the director experimented quite a bit with some odd techniques that weren't consistent throughout the movie. Kind of weird scoring in that there was always music playing even during mundane dialogues.
    That being said, it all worked and this was wayyyyy better than I thought it would be. Hall's wife is something to look at as well.

7/10

Nice call there old timer.
    Thanks, SfS.

Makes me day that you liked it, fellow.

Loved the sequence after Penn runs off Danza & his goon. Penn is shrewd. He couldn't kill them in his front yard in broad daylight. Gives them a taste & "frees" them. One almost feels good for Danza, his (fancy) car FINALLY starts...he got away with his life.

Penn then goes and visits his buds from prison. This meeting is brilliant by the production. They ain't glad to see him. There are some difficult pleasantries and then it starts..."What the do you want?"

At that point you figure there is going to be a shoot out, blah, blah, blah. No. Penn sets down his marker. One can only imagine what he has done to achieve said marker. Penn wants these two to finish off Danza & stooge. Not one bit of hesitation is exhibited. No discussion, no smart ass comments. "It shall be done, after what you did for us." By not telling us what that deed was only enthralls the viewer because we have seen Penn's pathology with his boss, with his co-worker, with his parole officer (who (knows) & sees thru him, but, stays safely on her side of the desk), even with his pregnant wife where he is subservient at the kitchen table. He is a true monster,,,not this canned you see in other movies, but, a calculating lethal machine.

I'm going to watch it again today.

ADDENDUM:::& can you imagine Penn sitting down with that script at the first and plotting it out. It's just graveling to behold him here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks, SfS.

Makes me day that you liked it, fellow.

Loved the sequence after Penn runs off Danza & his goon. Penn is shrewd. He couldn't kill them in his front yard in broad daylight. Gives them a taste & "frees" them. One almost feels good for Danza, his (fancy) car FINALLY starts...he got away with his life.

Penn then goes and visits his buds from prison. This meeting is brilliant by the production. They ain't glad to see him. There are some difficult pleasantries and then it starts..."What the do you want?"

At that point you figure there is going to be a shoot out, blah, blah, blah. No. Penn sets down his marker. One can only imagine what he has done to achieve said marker. Penn wants these two to finish off Danza & stooge. Not one bit of hesitation is exhibited. No discussion, no smart ass comments. "It shall be done, after what you did for us." By not telling us what that deed was only enthralls the viewer because we have seen Penn's pathology with his boss, with his co-worker, with his parole officer (who (knows) & sees thru him, but, stays safely on her side of the desk), even with his pregnant wife where he is subservient at the kitchen table. He is a true monster,,,not this canned you see in other movies, but, a calculating lethal machine.

I'm going to watch it again today.

ADDENDUM:::& can you imagine Penn sitting down with that script at the first and plotting it out. It's just graveling to behold him here.
    I sure would have liked to see the first script. I really didn't think it was as disjointed as the reviewer you quoted. If I didn't know Penn died during filming, I don't think I would have thought anything other than, "weird ending".

And you also gotta feel for the writer/director and wonder how this impeded his career. He hasn't done anything since.
    I do see he wrote/directed a movie called, "Nate Dogg" that has good IMDB reviews. I might look for that.
    https://www.imdb.com/ le/tt0424303...=nm_flmg_cin_2
    Last edited by SpursforSix; 02-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched one last nite on TUBI---"Clown" where this poor sap dresses as a clown for his son's birthday party & then can't get the gd costume, or, makeup back off. Gruesome in parts, cannibalism.

ROFL, I had completely forgotten about this turd. I can't even remember what it was that made me watch it to begin with. Wasn't as bad as the gist sounds, but still rotten.

Thread Information