Page 174 of 238 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 5943
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    The Conversation (1974)
    Back when Coppola was an auteur. A Masterpiece.
    10/10
    70s paranoid movies are the best paranoid movies. At least for the US.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Conversation (1974)
    Back when Coppola was an auteur. A Masterpiece.
    10/10
    Captain

Just a bit helter skelter there at the last, my lone complaint.

{The kill scene is a flawless staged & produced achievement.} Like a tidal wave attacks the screen. "Whoa!"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    1st 5 minutes of "The Cabin in the Woods" especially the last minute when (he) queries his gf for having...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ford v Ferrari 7/10

Not the best racing movie I’ve seen but not a waste either.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Blow The Man Down 7/10 (Amazon) I checked this out because I tend to look for female centric stories. So for the ST Incel Eww Girls crowd I wouldn’t recommend it But if anyone else is interested in a multi layered quirky murder plot it’s not bad. All wrapped up neatly in 90 minutes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    So for the ST Incel Eww Girls crowd I wouldn’t recommend it
    it couldn't have been said better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It’s ok

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Shirley Knight, she is dead:::

With Shields, "Endless Love" --- + At 3:03 Zeffirelli catches Shields at zenith.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Extraction 6.5/10

Pretty much what you can expect when a director writes and a stuntman directs. Expertly done but derivative action sequences (Batman vs. Superman, Daredevil, True Detective, probably some other stuff I haven't seen) connected by a gossamer thin and ultimately predictable plot. If you like some cool action, it's worth the watch but don't expect to care much about anything. Hemsworth is good; Harbour barely there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    HBO’s latest Bad Education 8/10 Really enjoyed it, interesting true story and good performances. Allison Janney is good but basically the same character she always is. I wanted to give it a 10 for Hugh Jackman alone, but I’ll rewatch it later just to make sure and then change my rating if necessary

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    HBO’s latest Bad Education 8/10 Really enjoyed it, interesting true story and good performances. Allison Janney is good but basically the same character she always is. I wanted to give it a 10 for Hugh Jackman alone, but I’ll rewatch it later just to make sure and then change my rating if necessary
    Thanks. I just saw that come up but my free preview has already ended. Think I'm getting HBO Max free when it comes out so I assume I can catch it there at some point.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Moonlighter 1953 4/10

*only saw last hour but it's enough to easily pick up on the plot.
    Fred MacMurray
    Barbara Stanwyck

Fred MacMurray as a fatherly bachelor with Gramps living at home was fine. Fred as a bad dude tough guy did not work. The script calling for old dude to beat him down and hog tie him was unfortunate. The romantic chemistry between Fred and Barb was zippo. That ending tho. Whoever the stuntman and woman playing the slide down the waterfall deserve extra pay and a 10 rating.

Just didn't work for me MrsMaalox. We know she's had much better scripts to work with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) 7/10 good popcorn

Ya, I saw it for the 1st time. Didn't cheat, didn't know how it was going to end.
    Many of the plot twists are pure soap opera. But it definitely keeps you watching. Her taking him back (twice) after he ratted her out to the arrogant DA AND after he went on a week in Mexico with a floosey while she was at her Moms funeral was just too much of a stretch.
    Casting was mostly very good.
    Lana Turner as Cora Smith was fantastic. Dale if you don't find her pleasing in that movie and at least as hot as Nancy Pelosi (to you) you have a problem.
    John Garfield as Frank Chambers meh.
    Lawyer for Cora was great.
    Arrogant DA was a good cast if arrogant was what they were going for.

Would you recommend bothering to watch the 1981 version with Jack Nicholson / Jessica Lange if you already saw both?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) 7/10 good popcorn

Ya, I saw it for the 1st time. Didn't cheat, didn't know how it was going to end.
    Many of the plot twists are pure soap opera. But it definitely keeps you watching. Her taking him back (twice) after he ratted her out to the arrogant DA AND after he went on a week in Mexico with a floosey while she was at her Moms funeral was just too much of a stretch.
    Casting was mostly very good.
    Lana Turner as Cora Smith was fantastic. Dale if you don't find her pleasing in that movie and at least as hot as Nancy Pelosi (to you) you have a problem.
    John Garfield as Frank Chambers meh.
    Lawyer for Cora was great.
    Arrogant DA was a good cast if arrogant was what they were going for.

Would you recommend bothering to watch the 1981 version with Jack Nicholson / Jessica Lange if you already saw both?
    I DVR'ed and watched it last night and this morning as well though I've seen it many times. It's got it all, even the cuckold strain as Her husband wants to watch.

And they catch her in one sumptuous angle after another. They don't grudge it. "You want to see her bottom jut out a bit?"

"Fine, here and here and here."

& her stomach ain't all the way flat, which is absolutely perfect.

The way Garfield talks about that California death house is fascinating. Just like MacMurray talked about same in "Double Indemnity." They're both on their way & will not stop, even though they see it clear.

& the hard line that "Cora" sides about turning the place into a growing concern. It's marvelous. She could do it without looking back at the slaughter of her husband, but, Frank won't be able to. He thinks he can, but, it ain't in him. He'd a run amok.

& the horror Turner exhibits when her husband commands her to Northern Canada (not just Canada, but Northern Canada) to nurse his paralyzed sister. Sure, the viewer thinks about it at first blanch (cleaning her after BM's, cleaning her on a daily basis, etc.) but, then Turner thinks about it, the director shows us her thinking about it and I don't want to think about it no more.

Yes, MT, it is a flawless motion picture event.

& the remake is serviceable.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Moonlighter 1953 4/10

*only saw last hour but it's enough to easily pick up on the plot.
    [FONT=Verdana]Fred MacMurray
    Barbara Stanwyck

Fred MacMurray as a fatherly bachelor with Gramps living at home was fine. Fred as a bad dude tough guy did not work.
    So I can assume you haven’t seen Double Indemnity? Or The Caine Mutiny? Or The Apartment? Fred MacMurray was definitely greatest when he was cast against type. But I just don’t care much for The Moonlighter. Its just probably my 3rd choice out of the 4 MacMurray/Stanwyck pairings.

That ending tho. Whoever the stuntman and woman playing the slide down the waterfall deserve extra pay and a 10 rating.
    That was no stuntwoman. That was Miss Barbara Stanwyck herself. She did most of her own stunts, the waterfall is the most infamous

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I can assume you haven’t seen Double Indemnity?
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133963&highlight=Double+Indemnity

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Kingdom - korean series - 8/10

if you are done with the walking dead, i think this will be a pleasant surprise. its only 12 ep. so, you can get over it pretty fast.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I can assume you haven’t seen Double Indemnity? Or The Caine Mutiny? Or The Apartment? Fred MacMurray was definitely greatest when he was cast against type. But I just don’t care much for The Moonlighter. Its just probably my 3rd choice out of the 4 MacMurray/Stanwyck pairings.

That was no stuntwoman. That was Miss Barbara Stanwyck herself. She did most of her own stunts, the waterfall is the most infamous
    Double Indemnity was great. But Fred was the swarmy insurance salesman. Much different from tough guy cowboy in The Moonlighters. I have not yet seen Caine or The Apartment. Will do. We agree The Moonlighter just fell short. Maybe the studio was still working the kinks out after WWII and were pressured to get Moonlight out quickly.

The stuntman in the waterfall scene. Wow that dude took a fall. Barbara slid down in rather safe increments (still impressive). But dude was like a toboggan going down a snow run / waterslide park.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Double Indemnity was great. But Fred was the swarmy insurance salesman. Much different from tough guy cowboy in The Moonlighters. I have not yet seen Caine or The Apartment. Will do. We agree The Moonlighter just fell short. Maybe the studio was still working the kinks out after WWII and were pressured to get Moonlight out quickly.

The stuntman in the waterfall scene. Wow that dude took a fall. Barbara slid down in rather safe increments (still impressive). But dude was like a toboggan going down a snow run / waterslide park.
    Well I remembered I had The Moonlighter on my dvr so I watched it yesterday. And I liked it a lot more than I thought I did lol. I moved it to 2nd place of my best Stanwyck/MacMurray flix. Of course for me it’s all about Stanwyck, but I get what you mean about MacMurray. He does a really good heartless SOB but he looks awkward in the action parts. I guess because he was a big man and he moved like one—slow and lumbering. You know he was the physical model for the comic book Captain Marvel in the 40’s?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Bird, a 1988 biopic about Charlie Parker directed by Clint Eastwood. 7/10

One of the only movies I've seen with Forrest Whittaker where he didn't irritate me. Great music, obviously. The timeline was somewhat confusing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    The Way Back - 8.5/10 (Ben Affleck basketball coach movie)

Maybe I’m being overly generous due to COVID boredom, but I thought this was really ing good. I even teared up a few times during the movie.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Way Back - 8.5/10 (Ben Affleck basketball coach movie)

Maybe I’m being overly generous due to COVID boredom, but I thought this was really ing good. I even teared up a few times during the movie.
    Affleck is such a feast or famine actor. Pearl Harbor was on the other day and I watched some of it. Jesus he was horrible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Affleck is such a feast or famine actor. Pearl Harbor was on the other day and I watched some of it. Jesus he was horrible.
    He plays an alcoholic in this movie and he’s dealt with alcoholism most of his life, it was a low hanging fruit role for him.

As bad as he was in Pearl Harbor still not sure if it was as cringeworthy as his Batman roles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    He plays an alcoholic in this movie and he’s dealt with alcoholism most of his life, it was a low hanging fruit role for him.

As bad as he was in Pearl Harbor still not sure if it was as cringeworthy as his Batman roles.
    & he was named in that MeToo movement a couple years back as "ButtMan." He'd jam his fingers up girl's backsides (thru their clothes) at Hollywood parties and such. He went underground for awhile & survived it. They left him alone.

Still his finest "hour?" Finding Damon gone there at the last: "Good Will Hunting." He doesn't cry, he just mists over. A powerful moment.

Thread Information