Page 234 of 238 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238 LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 5943
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Have you ever read Feynman's Surely You're Joking? He was talking about how depressed he was after working at Los Alamos, like he'd be at a restaurant having lunch in NYC and then out of nowhere he'd just want to jump up and yell to everyone in the place how this was all going to be gone, how the can you be talking and laughing and not know one Soviet bomb will level everything within ten miles once the war starts. If you ever want to watch a great movie about what nuclear war would look like to the people check a movie called Threads from 1984. 100% on rotten tomatoes. It's funny they were about to cancel production of the film when they heard about The Day After but then when it came out they saw how rosy a picture that movie painted and said they had to do something scientifically accurate to what it would actually look like.
    I'll keep seconding Threads whenever its brought up. So much better and more effective than The Day After for a fraction of the budget and time, and one of the bleakest movies I can remember.
    ROFL that people were coming out of that movie shocked, not knowing it was a comedy. I like that the pilot giving those corny speeches in his cowboy hat thought he was doing a serious role too. Also ROFL at Fail Safe coming out the same year with a similar plot (at least early on), but as a war drama.
    I remember Fail Safe's being kind of excruciating in its pacing, but it ended pretty strong.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I'll keep seconding Threads whenever its brought up. So much better and more effective than The Day After for a fraction of the budget and time, and one of the bleakest movies I can remember.
    About the only other thing I have seen anywhere close is Grave of the Fireflies, but maybe because that one hits really close to home since it's similar to the story of my grandmother and great uncle in Japan during the war. Only thing I think Threads screwed up on was when they had the English language devolve in the first post nuke generation because there is no schooling, when language is learned from speaking and listening and not from going to class. But everything else, first rate.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'll keep seconding Threads whenever its brought up. So much better and more effective than The Day After for a fraction of the budget and time, and one of the bleakest movies I can remember.I remember Fail Safe's being kind of excruciating in its pacing, but it ended pretty strong.
    ...Ya dumb ...the ending was preposterously silly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Ran into -Homefront- 2013 last evening and latched on. It's serviceable. Did not realize going in that the Ryder girl was in it until just now when I looked it up. She's a dynamo therein and it's a pleasure to watch her work. She is thorough in the role as the "Meth ."

Had a nice beginning with the Bosworth girl and her son, a chubby bully whom Statham tries to make peace with and it pays off in the end. The Bosworth girl "Cassie" has a chin line that is just superb. I sat there stunned and she's hot in this as a woman leaning on drugs who see's the light, barely in time.

Standard fare of cookers down on the Bayou when JS + young daughter moves into the area after leaving DEA as a rat on a caustic and lethal Biker gang. He's eyeballed by the local cooker (James Franco, always a treat) who then tries to parlay this knowledge with said Biker Gang to his advantage. Several nice fights Statham style serve well, then Biker gang roars into town and they ain't in' around.

I won't watch it again, sure, but it bears a sit wherever man dwells if only to see that Bosworth girl. I was like in love.

Stallone had his hands all over this and did the screenplay.

It's on the Amazon stream.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    About the only other thing I have seen anywhere close is Grave of the Fireflies, but maybe because that one hits really close to home since it's similar to the story of my grandmother and great uncle in Japan during the war. Only thing I think Threads screwed up on was when they had the English language devolve in the first post nuke generation because there is no schooling, when language is learned from speaking and listening and not from going to class. But everything else, first rate.
    Yeah I didn't think the language would fall off quite that quickly but maybe you have to think that most of the people they could have learned from would be dead and they're exaggerating that one aspect to drive home the degradation in the time period they had to work with.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    -The Drop- 2014

Waded thru it the last several nights. I'd hit a dog in the ass with it, barely. Chronic materiel about New York mafia types based primarily in a small bar in Brooklyn that has been used as The Drop and is hit one night. Rats come out of the woodwork, on and on and on.

Tom Hardy leads it with 1 expression set upon his mug throughout.
    Gandolfini is present, but has been dead for a year, and he acts it. [b]Worn out.[/u]

Think "Uh, uh."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    ...Ya dumb ...the ending was preposterously silly.
    What's silly about it? The UK going back to being an agricultural economy like in the middle ages with the electric grid nearly killed off and little hope of ever getting it back up again in any major way? Ruth selling her ass for rats to eat? The UV going through the roof with the ozone layer destroyed? Ruth's thick cataracts from it? Her daughter getting raped at 13 and having a stillborn baby when she herself was born with crazy birth defects from all the radiation Ruth took in?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What's silly about it? The UK going back to being an agricultural economy like in the middle ages with the electric grid nearly killed off and little hope of ever getting it back up again in any major way? Ruth selling her ass for rats to eat? The UV going through the roof with the ozone layer destroyed? Ruth's thick cataracts from it? Her daughter getting raped at 13 and having a stillborn baby when she herself was born with crazy birth defects from all the radiation Ruth took in?
    I was referencing Dumper's final citation in his post ...-Fail Safe-...we ed up and dropped one on them and then on-the-spot agreed to let them drop one on us/NYC.

C'mon.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I was referencing Dumper's final citation in his post ...-Fail Safe-...we ed up and dropped one on them and then on-the-spot agreed to let them drop one on us/NYC.

C'mon.
    I still think the worst part of that movie was saying the Soviets had a 50 megaton ICBM. Yeah ing right you're strapping the Tsar Bomba onto a missile.

Also ROFL the idea of B-58s carrying 20 megaton nukes. They carried ~1 megaton hydrogen bombs. I think the biggest US bomb ever made was only 15 megaton (Castle Bravo test) and that was only because they miscalculated the predicted yield by assuming one of the isotopes of lithium in it wouldn't react. ing Hollywood having to exaggerate everything when a 1 megaton H-bomb could nearly level 200-300 square miles of city.

Also we dropped the two on NYC in the movie. Remember the guy with the bullfighter nightmares was the one who dropped them on his wife and kids.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I still think the worst part of that movie was saying the Soviets had a 50 megaton ICBM. Yeah ing right you're strapping the Tsar Bomba onto a missile.

Also ROFL the idea of B-58s carrying 20 megaton nukes. They carried ~1 megaton hydrogen bombs. I think the biggest US bomb ever made was only 15 megaton (Castle Bravo test) and that was only because they miscalculated the predicted yield by assuming one of the isotopes of lithium in it wouldn't react. ing Hollywood having to exaggerate everything when a 1 megaton H-bomb could nearly level 200-300 square miles of city.

Also we dropped the two on NYC in the movie. Remember the guy with the bullfighter nightmares was the one who dropped them on his wife and kids.
    bum

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Yeah I was way too young when I saw it to get caught up in the minutiae.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dune Two?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    -The Covenant- 2023.

It's well done and moves quite nicely a tad past 2 hours.

Is it flawless? No.

One part toward the end reminds one of -The Green Berets- from late '60's when American forces employed "Puff the Magic Dragon" to machine gun the gooks in great mass from helicopter gunships. It makes a neat return appearance in this film killing rag-heads at the last second saving the old day for both our heroes.

I wouldn't watch it again, but it was very serviceable.

ADDENDUM: Ahmed transported Jake 100 clicks...which boiled down is 62 miles resulting in>>> 3 U.S. passports/3 U.S. visas.
    Last edited by Thread; 03-01-2024 at 12:14 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I fell asleep in Dune 1. I'll probably see this one at the big screen as well but I can't get into a story where they are battling over Tattoine

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I fell asleep in Dune 1. I'll probably see this one at the big screen as well but I can't get into a story where they are battling over Tattoine
    The vast majority of theater goer's as well, Blake, but this was one of those films that got juiced in and that's just the way it is. Now with this addition, what's his name "Dr. Kiley's" son, forget his name has done his duty, come out and is yelling at the top of his lungs that 2 is the worse experience he's ever had in Hollywood. That should sufficiently goose the gate for this weekend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Caught a SOP film late last night/early this morning from 2012 on the Prime Stream...-Meeting Evil-...with Samuel L. Jackson & Luke Wilson. I usually like Wilson, and that is what caught my attention and caused the viewing, but he's MIA in this.

A lot of bloodshed, but not too much in the moment>>>vast lion's share after the fact.

The women are gorgeous, sweet Jesus. But the Wilson's 2 children missed nary branch falling down the ugly tree. They couldn't get better than that?

Jackson does his tried & true Boiler Plate act he's done dozens of times and it's old.

It's junk, absolutely, but the women make it worth the sit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    & watched a heart breaker sometime last night/early this morning as well...-Angels Crest-...2011 with Mira Sorvino, Jeremy Pivin & Elizabeth McGovern who tragically has not aged well. in' shame. It's heartrending.

Story involves a father taking his young toddler out for some morning fun in the local forest area during a snowstorm. The little boy wanders away---does not survive. The remainder of the film deals with how the young father and his [estranged and cheating wife, with father's best friend] deal with this loss. Pivin is the local DA who charges the father, but, that ain't the point here as you'll find out if you stick with it. I stuck with it.

It's an American/Canadian joint venture. The young father is played by Thomas Dekker who is the best looking actor (M/F) in this film!

I'm never watching another film with the McGovern girl in it ever again. Why I keep making that mistake is beyond me. GD it!

Amazon Stream.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Going back thru -5 Card Stud- '68 with Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, Roddy McDowell, Inger Stevens, Yaphet Kotto.

This film holds a special place for me. We were out West that Summer traveling, camping when the old man up and took my brother & I on into town somewhere in Wyoming to see it. He was in a good mood, sprang for the candy. It was just a treat to sit in A/C for 2 hours, but, Stevens was gorgeous, and not long for this world (suicide).

The movie is good, not great mind you, but enduring. A lynching takes place early (card cheater), Mitchum comes to town soon thereafter portending a preacher, but he's after the 6 men sitting at that card table and Kotto who bore witness the game as the bartender. Kotto is not with God, only Dino knows this fact so when Yaphet is taken out and is able (as death nears) to set his hands in prayer motif>>>Martin comes to the fore.

McDowell is choice here as usual and his sister played by Katherine Justice (I God's is she gorgeous) does a fine job and is smitten with Martin, but it does not work out. GD it!

This one...I shall take to the grave.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Great moments in film.

"The kook."

George Kennedy; his finest hour.
    Well, one of 'em...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Great moments in film.

Montalban,
    Mr. Roarke
    &
    "Kahn!!!"

Archive of AMERICAN TELEVISION

This is not his finest hour. No. That "hour" rest forever -My Man and I- MGM in 1952.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The new Dunes have been great, Denis knows how to pace a movie to the dismay of the american adhd movie goer that's on a sugar high for marvel movies. No point in comparing or ting on Lynch's Dune when it's common knowledge that he was at odds with the executives there for nearly the entire time.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    saw gran turismo.. pretty solid, but if you're doing a movie about a ''real story'', stick to the things that happened and not change the time of events... anyway, 6/10...
    also saw John Wich 4... Horrible.. the stairs rolling scene is one of the worst scenes I have ever saw in a movie.. 3/10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No Way Up - 8/10

I don't necessarily give it such a high grade because it's a masterpiece, it's not, but it was def an 8 when it came to being captivating and invoking anxiety which thrillers should invoke.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Great moments in film.
    The epitome of Effy's FA/FO composite.

It's Ritter's kid...

Thread Information