Page 190 of 237 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 5906
    Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw Respect last week. I love a good biopic, I expected a lot but there just wasn’t much to it. The acting was excellent, the costumes were divine and the whole film had a lovely aesthetic. Jennifer Hudson and Marlon Wayans are both amazingly beautiful to look at. But there just wasn’t much substance. I was a little kid in the 70’s, my familiarity with Aretha Franklin came from seeing her on the variety shows like Carol Burnett or Sonny and Cher and this movie didn’t really tell me much else about her. The only reveal for me was that she came from a privileged background. Even a very casual follower knows that Aretha was the ultimate diva—something that makes her more fascinating imho—but they really didn’t dwell too far into her later career, the whole film just felt like an early highlight reel. Here was a musical biopic that had a great singer NOT lip syncing and it never gave us a great musical number. I expected a rendition of Respect to honor the ages but got nothing. Watch it at home 6.5/10

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I saw Respect last week. I love a good biopic, I expected a lot but there just wasn’t much to it. The acting was excellent, the costumes were divine and the whole film had a lovely aesthetic. Jennifer Hudson and Marlon Wayans are both amazingly beautiful to look at. But there just wasn’t much substance. I was a little kid in the 70’s, my familiarity with Aretha Franklin came from seeing her on the variety shows like Carol Burnett or Sonny and Cher and this movie didn’t really tell me much else about her. The only reveal for me was that she came from a privileged background. Even a very casual follower knows that Aretha was the ultimate diva—something that makes her more fascinating imho—but they really didn’t dwell too far into her later career, the whole film just felt like an early highlight reel. Here was a musical biopic that had a great singer NOT lip syncing and it never gave us a great musical number. I expected a rendition of Respect to honor the ages but got nothing. Watch it at home 6.5/10
    Right there was the death kneel.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Right there was the death kneel.
    Why? Sexual abuse/domestic violence doesn’t skip past the financially comfortable. There was no implication that she did not work hard for her success. As a black woman in that era I have no doubt she struggled harder for her success. The only reason her background was surprising to me was because she could have had a nice comfortable life singing in her father’s church forever but chose to give it up to do her own thing.

Edit: These latest musical biopics all had that in common. Elton John, Freddie Mercury, Aretha weren’t from poverty so their personal successes weren’t so much commercial as breaking away from parents who did not believe in them. The old music biopic people like Loretta Lynn and Elvis come from nothing but always had someone who believed in them and their dream.
    Last edited by mrsmaalox; 09-06-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Roadrunner - Anthony Bourdain doc

Probably one of the most interesting men in the world.

7.5/10

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Don't Breathe 2- 2/10

Terrible movie smh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Why? Sexual abuse/domestic violence doesn’t skip past the financially comfortable. There was no implication that she did not work hard for her success. As a black woman in that era I have no doubt she struggled harder for her success. The only reason her background was surprising to me was because she could have had a nice comfortable life singing in her father’s church forever but chose to give it up to do her own thing.

Edit: These latest musical biopics all had that in common. Elton John, Freddie Mercury, Aretha weren’t from poverty so their personal successes weren’t so much commercial as breaking away from parents who did not believe in them. The old music biopic people like Loretta Lynn and Elvis come from nothing but always had someone who believed in them and their dream.
    I haven't seen Respect yet but Aretha went through A LOT as a kid. The sensual abuse and didn't she have a child at 13?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Roadrunner - Anthony Bourdain doc

Probably one of the most interesting men in the world.

7.5/10
    So, the rumor has it he didn't do the Dutch, but was murdered. Was this addressed, SfS?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, the rumor has it he didn't do the Dutch, but was murdered. Was this addressed, SfS?
    No...not at all.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    "News of the World"
    7/10

The story line is pretty thin but Tom Hanks is great as usual and plays an interesting enough character.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    "News of the World"
    7/10

The story line is pretty thin but Tom Hanks is great as usual and plays an interesting enough character.
    Where'd you access it, Blake?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Where'd you access it, Blake?
    HBO max

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

I'll be damned, I have that channel! I'll give it a watch tonight and let you know, Blake. Thanks.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Val -7/10

sucks what happened to him. The only problem i really have is that it goes very slow till like the mid of his career and then rushes everything since like 95 when by the looks of it, it got interesting cause he was becoming ''problematic'' to work with. Id love to have seen more of that, but yea, still pretty good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Val -7/10

sucks what happened to him. The only problem i really have is that it goes very slow till like the mid of his career and then rushes everything since like 95 when by the looks of it, it got interesting cause he was becoming ''problematic'' to work with. Id love to have seen more of that, but yea, still pretty good.
    TR, with the goods.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10600961[/URL]]TR, with the goods.
    Bend over, I’ll ing deliver the goods.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Bend over, I’ll ing deliver the goods.
    It's Sunday, SfS. You couldn't do this yesterday on Saturday, or, tomorrow on Monday?

What the is wrong with you?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Reminiscence ehhhh 1/5 I guess

I don't even know what I even just saw. Poor Jackman needs to shake off rust of not always being fanboy dream Wolvie and needs a better script lol
    Movie was all over the place

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Reminiscence ehhhh 1/5 I guess

I don't even know what I even just saw. Poor Jackman needs to shake off rust of not always being fanboy dream Wolvie and needs a better script lol
    Movie was all over the place
    Yeah I turned it off about halfway

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's Sunday, SfS. You couldn't do this yesterday on Saturday, or, tomorrow on Monday?

What the is wrong with you?
    Bend over, I'll ing show you what the is wrong with me.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Malignant - 5/10

I liked most of the James Wan's horror film and his films in general, but this one is pretty average if not even below average. I didnt give this a 4 just cause of the camera work, which is amazing, everything else, not so much. This feels like they didnt know what they wanted to make, cause the first 1/3 is a horror, then it switches to mystery/drama and the last 15 minutes is like you are watching a Mortal Kombat action movie with a bunch of fatalities. I kinda wished it stayed more of a grounded horror all the way through, but i guess they wanted to e it up. Anyway, nothing really stands out, other than camera work and it kinda gets obvious whats going on half way into the movie.... oh yea, there's also nothing really that scary in the movie, except if you're afraid of jump scares, which there are like 3 of them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Felt the same. I didn't have any specific problem with it that I could really articulate, all I know is I was pretty bored after about an hour.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I'm at 7/10 on Malignant. Thoroughly entertained for the whole movie but probably a movie that in two years I'll have completely forgotten about seeing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm at 7/10 on Malignant. Thoroughly entertained for the whole movie but probably a movie that in two years I'll have completely forgotten about seeing.
    Thanks for the approval...I'll give it a watch this evening, Adam.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!
    Watched a fine one last night, from 2006 -The Last Time-

Has Brendan Fraser & Michael Keaton playing the leads. The denouement is jaw dropping. Did not see it coming. Everything is addressed and settled, to the last issue. The sight of Fraser at the start---and---him after the full disclosure is unbelievable. He-done-good.

A flawless motion picture event.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    The Platform
    11/10

Perfect movie.

Thread Information