Page 166 of 238 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 5943
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What's with Hollywood double making so many films around the same time? Deep Impact and Armageddon, Wyatt Earp and Tombstone, others.. (maybe not that many but I have to pretend there are lots of others, too many to mention imo)
    D M C

& [Deep Impact] endures fine. The relationship twixt the girl, her estranged parents & her father's new woman///a hot little number. This complex relationship is the cornerstone of the movie, or, [at least for me.] I loiter there before & after the film. The director wanted me to & I dutifully oblige, thank you. The 2 actors (mother & father) (Redgrave & Sc ) are sensational,,,I get emotional just thinking of them. Toward the last, he, to his only child introduces the snap shot of their family at it's zenith & it is this photograph which will see us the rest of the way & beyond.

This film also creates the identification of (ELE)...It is not a squalid mistress as gleefully imagined. No. Uh, uh. But, an Extinction Level Event (ELE). It is a sobering moment. Total loss.

Thanks for the prompt, D. This movie always leaves me introspective.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    seeing two different James Bonds in the same year was super confusing, especially when one was just a remake with the same actor ~20 years older.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    olympus has fallen and white house down

antz and a bug life

prestige and illusionist

paul blart and observe and report
    Mega mind and de able me

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    ... damn i didnt realize it was that much of a thing

yes, i remember a-team and the losers as well now that i think about it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    That's an interesting take. I would counter that the military hadn't changed a great deal from Napoleon to the start of WWI, and even in 1917 brass were struggling with how to counter the technological advances that gave the advantage to defensive positions. It would be another year before they figured it out.

Disagree with the feel since the respective trenches and no man's land were basically all the western front was about for most of WWI. Showing action from the front excepting the very beginning and last few months of the war there are utterly depressing and kind of unbelievable from a modern perspective. Take the last charge Schofield runs along-- in reality, dudes would still just be walking across the field with their heavy ass kits and getting cut down en masse by machine guns and artillery. I can see why Mendes would not want to focus on that. The Trench, Beneath Hill 60, Passchendaele and of course All Quiet have all trod that ground, and they're all more bleak with less commercial potential that 1917. Even the main conceit of the film -- the fuss being made over 1600 men -- is a little quaint given the hundreds of thousands of casualties experienced in battles like the Somme or Passchendaele.
    Well if the trenches were what WWI in 1917 was all about then I guess it hit the mark. I'll admit I'm not up to speed on my detailed knowledge of it.

I did love the feel of the trenches, especially showing they actually had street names, one way streets, and actual living quarters with bunk beds.

Maybe I was expecting a little more historical perspective instead of one brave messenger journey perspective. Dunno.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ... damn i didnt realize it was that much of a thing

yes, i remember a-team and the losers as well now that i think about it
    One that I remember was Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. And then Hamburger Hill less than a year later.

That was a good call on Prestige/Illusionist. Turn of the century magicians compete against each other. That's a pretty specific genre.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    One that I remember was Platoon and Full Metal Jacket. And then Hamburger Hill less than a year later.

That was a good call on Prestige/Illusionist. Turn of the century magicians compete against each other. That's a pretty specific genre.
    it was annoying because for a while i hadnt seen either one, so i really had no frame of reference when people would discuss one. i ended up seeing the prestige for the first time a few years ago, still havent watched illusionist

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    olympus has fallen and white house down

antz and a bug life

prestige and illusionist

paul blart and observe and report
    Weren't there two Hercules movies at the same time recently as well? I think the Rock was one of them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it was annoying because for a while i hadnt seen either one, so i really had no frame of reference when people would discuss one. i ended up seeing the prestige for the first time a few years ago, still havent watched illusionist
    It's actually very good. I liked it better than The Prestige but I wonder if it's because I saw it first.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    The Prestige ending bothered me with the clone thing although the twin thing was a terrific twist.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    so mad

this is like the people who whine and about the recent ghostbusters dud

these are movies than looked bad, and by all accounts were bad (i've seen neither). but some people get inordinately upset about them for some reason tbh
    Nah, i was not mad at it. I was mad at myself for watching 3 bad movies in a row.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    It was on the History Channel today so I DVR'ed it. I don't know TR, started it up but he's still in town chasing after that girl. I'll stick with it though.
    Yea, it kinda starts getting good when spiderman gets to the boot camp and then the action scenes in japan on the battlefield are great. I watched it in cinema and with that great sound i really thought it was a great war film. Didnt see it since.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I was completely underwhelmed by the Prestige. Easily Nolan’s worst movie, even worse than Dark Knight Rises.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Little Big League. Man, I love that movie.

The concept is obviously way far fetched, but the movie does a great job selling the believability of the kid having a great baseball mind, and it pays great respect to the game and players. It has some corny moments, but it’s not downright cheesy. Awesome ending too. Didn’t go for the super happy ending.

Rookie of the year, couldn’t stand this movie.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Damn I fucc with Prestige. I love that movie. I haven't seen illusionist yet.

Parasite- 9/10 Fire movie. I hate having to read sub les so it loses a point for that but really good film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I was completely underwhelmed by the Prestige. Easily Nolan’s worst movie, even worse than Dark Knight Rises.
    wow, really? most people I know that saw that film love it, some would even say its his best one. How did you like Interstellar? thats my least favorite of his... besides DKR.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Honey Boy...not a big Shia fan but this was great. Bit of a prototypical dad story but the actors really drove it home, especially Shia playing his own dad.

8/10

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    The Machinist - 7/10... close to an 8.

i never saw this, so i was like, why not. Definitely on of the better if not the best Bale's performances i saw. He looked like a ing skeleton, . Also one of the best psychological thrillers I ever saw.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's with Hollywood double making so many films around the same time? Deep Impact and Armageddon, Wyatt Earp and Tombstone, others.. (maybe not that many but I have to pretend there are lots of others, too many to mention imo)
    Screenwriters are movie fans - and if one of them hears about or watches a specific genre -
    then they are inspired to write "their take" on it.

Remember when Tarantino came out - then how many other movies came out that were an attempt at his "rich dialogue" from crazy criminal characters.

I can only imagine also that movie studios get wind of the latest script from the "flavor of the month" hot screenwriter -

and they try to race their movie to cash in also.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Honey Boy...not a big Shia fan but this was great. Bit of a prototypical dad story but the actors really drove it home, especially Shia playing his own dad.

8/10
    Seems like Shia is having his own little McConaissance right now, check out Peanut Butter Falcon, he’s damn good in that one too.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Farewell 7.9/10

well done

interesting premise

We all have seen every war movie, cop buddy movie, superhero movie, earth destruction/end of the world movie premise-

but I appreciated this one and found it compelling:

grandma has life ending illness but her relative finds out first from doctor and keeps the truth from her

far away relatives also find out and plan a “reunion/farewell” to see her

so at the reunion- grandma is funny and fun and is “herself” but those around her are morose and sad

leading to some bittersweet funny moments

not for everyone- but I liked it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Little Big League. Man, I love that movie.

The concept is obviously way far fetched, but the movie does a great job selling the believability of the kid having a great baseball mind, and it pays great respect to the game and players. It has some corny moments, but it’s not downright cheesy. Awesome ending too. Didn’t go for the super happy ending.

Rookie of the year, couldn’t stand this movie.
    yeah, i like Little Big League far more than Rookie of the Year

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Seems like Shia is having his own little McConaissance right now, check out Peanut Butter Falcon, he’s damn good in that one too.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Didn't watch the movie recently, just the review. AVGN has a lot of quality reviews though.

Thread Information