Page 177 of 236 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 5877
    Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    BlacKkKlansman

7/10

Typical e Lee preachiness, and maybe the most gratuitous and unnecessary double-dolly shot of his career (literally felt like a “oh the movie’s almost over, just throw a double-dolly shot in there!” moment), but overall the movie was entertaining if only to dunk on white supremacists.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    1917 was very entertaining. I loved the music, too. I wonder where the cuts went in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    BlacKkKlansman

7/10

Typical e Lee preachiness, and maybe the most gratuitous and unnecessary double-dolly shot of his career (literally felt like a “oh the movie’s almost over, just throw a double-dolly shot in there!” moment), but overall the movie was entertaining if only to dunk on white supremacists.
    i thought it was good not great

their voices were too different for the plot to be believable. there was a scene early on where they were trying to synch their voices but then the rest of the movie its like they completely forgot about it

but the soundtrack was sick

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    LOTR trilogy - 9/10... my fave trilogy of all time. watched the extended cuts and i dont feel like i wasted my time.

I also saw the series DARK. It has 3 seasons and it's finished. People were telling me it's like Stranger things, but it's not really like it. I'd say it was very interesting for like a season and a half, but then i kinda got bored with the same story all over again. If you don't mind German language and are into time travel, i'd say give it a watch. its like a 7 or an 8 for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The lodge- 6/10

no payoff and the decision making was stupid all around.
    It was better than that. 7/10. Started off pretty good and the movie was very well done.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Project Power. 6/10. Serviceable action popcorn flick but nothing special. A higher budget would have made the power pill fight scenes and special effects much cooler.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Lighthouse 6/10

Great acting, great cinematography, boring ass story

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    1917 was very entertaining. I loved the music, too. I wonder where the cuts went in.
    Yeah that movie was dope.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I’m thinking of ending things 8/10

The ending kinds of details the movie. Went in not expecting much being this is a Netflix movie but with Charlie Kaufman at the helm. Safe to say he has a winter snow storm fetish.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    His House 8/10

Netflix is slightly improving with their movies. This one was very good, could have easily rated higher.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    LOTR trilogy - 9/10... my fave trilogy of all time. watched the extended cuts and i dont feel like i wasted my time.

I also saw the series DARK. It has 3 seasons and it's finished. People were telling me it's like Stranger things, but it's not really like it. I'd say it was very interesting for like a season and a half, but then i kinda got bored with the same story all over again. If you don't mind German language and are into time travel, i'd say give it a watch. its like a 7 or an 8 for me.
    LOTR trilogy is a cinematic masterpiece tbh
    It's on Netflix here in Canada but no extended cuts

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Uncut Gems ?/10

I'm still mulling this one over. I can't decide if it's really good or really ty. The 80s synthesizer music that dominated the background for most of the movie was annoying as tho.
    Sandler is great, and the technical work is fantastic, but the nonstop screaming and the soundtrack got incredibly exhausting. By the end I even wanted to shoot him in the face just to end the movie.
    I'm about an hour-and-half in, and this is indeed one of the most overrated films of the past twenty years. Sure, I haven't finished it yet, but there's not much it can do to redeem itself with regards to any twists or potential memorable scenes. I don't think a heretofore mediocre story should be let off the hook just because it has a few great scenes during the third act. First and third acts are relatively easy to craft. It's creating a compelling second act that is the real challenge in storytelling. Too much of the second act pivots to Howard's (Sandler) domestic situation that isn't particularly interesting and centered too much around the "immature and philandering husband tries to redeem himself" trope told in about the most cliched way possible. Blowout with mistress. Has heartfelt moment with wife and kids. Yawn.

And the central premise is rather weak. While I do like the quasi supernatural aura the Safdies build around the opal stone, they don't feature enough scenes with the stone to play up its spell. Even something as simple as KG alone in his locker room looking at the stone as if it were the Holy Grail while Lopatin's synthy soundtrack plays in the background would've went a long way. And speaking of KG. I found his use more of a gimmick than anything else, which relates to the main storyline's shortcomings. You have to ask yourself. If this story featured a fictional basketball player, would it hold the same interest?

Another nearly fatal flaw that just about sucked all the tension away from the proceedings was the fact that Sandler was a relatively well-off jeweler. His stereo alone was worth about 100K. Because of that, I never really bought into the tension of his needing the money to pay off his debts and/or continue his self-destructive odyssey. I realize the story is about one man's descent into self-ruin, and no matter how many assets he has or doesn't have, he'll always figure out way to walk the razor's edge despite that, but when you're living in a million dollar New York apartment and have millions in inventory at your shop, his dire situation never felt that dire.

Compare that to James Caan's cir stances in The Gambler. With every bet, he put it all on the line and you knew it needed to payoff or he might not live to see another Blackjack table. As a result of that, the scene where Caan is sitting in the bathtub in his dingy apartment listening to the Lakers blow the game at the freethrow line has more tension than the entirety of Uncut Gems.

Also, maybe I'm a bit old school, but too many scenes break one of the older cardinal rules of filmmaking. Get your characters face-to-face. Sandler spends way too much in' time on the phone and too many important plot points and discussions happen over the phone. Yes, I know phones dominate our world, but this is a movie. Watching actors on the phone or texting on the phone isn't compelling cinema.

I know what the Safdies were going for. A slow-burn, character driven gritty crime thriller in the vein of classic late-60s/70s neo-noir. But they miss the mark here. This is nowhere near the level of films like Point Blank, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Charley Varrick, Straight Time, The Long Goodbye, Hardcore, and The Gambler. No clue why this was a critical darling. It's a capable thriller, but that's about it.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 11-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    The Midnight Sky

1/10

A dumb, predictable waste of 2 hours. If it weren’t for a few cool effects, it would be 0/10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    The Midnight Sky

1/10

A dumb, predictable waste of 2 hours. If it weren’t for a few cool effects, it would be 0/10.
    I stopped about 90 seconds in, but was gonna go back to it in a couple days. Thanks for sparing me

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Midnight Sky

1/10

I saw this thread and was just about to post about that one. Saw it last night.
    Some pretty tense action scenes but they were wasted.
    I was hoping they were going to have some twist other than the the obvious one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Soul 8/10

not bad for a Pixar flick tbh

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    A Christmas Story... last night, for the trillionth time in my life. Still withstands the test of time. 9/10.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just saw Midnight Sky on Netflicks.... it so reminded me of that last space movie that George Clooney was in.
    I give it a 7 out of 10

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    WW 1984 4/10

Pascal was the only positive thing in the movie tbh. Pine basically had no real role, Gadot's acting left much to be desired, Wig was all right and the story was just terrible.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    You fellas watch the most silly

Watching tonight with GF

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I miss the days of several years back (not that long ago) where you could stream almost any free movie you wanted online. Now they're hard to find, sites like alluc.ee got shut down, solarmovie/vodlocker aren't their 2013-2015 self, etc

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    last movie I got to online stream was Jumanji 2 and that was around this time last year. It's been awhile. Tubi exists but watching movies on a tiny smartphone is a pain in the ass, not to mention all Tubi has is pretty much B and C movies.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    doesn't know how to stream Tubi on a TV.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    doesn't know how to stream Tubi on a TV.
    you need a fire stick or roku. Some kind of shilling to one or more of the tech giants, no sir.

Thread Information