Page 162 of 238 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5939
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Parasite - 7.0

Thought is was well set up but maybe should have gone a different way.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched The Irishman...was good, but grossly inaccurate. Also, DeNiro looked ing weird when he was supposed to be younger, he moved every bit as old as he is and it looked like they stuffed something in his shirt. Dunno, but it bothered me. 8/10

Looking forward to 1917 this week, tbh.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Watched The Irishman...was good, but grossly inaccurate. Also, DeNiro looked ing weird when he was supposed to be younger, he moved every bit as old as he is and it looked like they stuffed something in his shirt. Dunno, but it bothered me. 8/10
    Really like Marty's films, but I'm just can't bring myself to watching at this point for just the reasons you listed.

Looking forward to 1917 this week, tbh.
    Catching that tomorrow.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Really like Marty's films, but I'm just can't bring myself to watching at this point for just the reasons you listed.

Catching that tomorrow.

Yeah, the scene where he puts a Pesci-beating on a person just looks so cringy and looks like an old, washed up wrestler trying to make it look real. If you're like me and someone who is dedicated to the memories and nostalgia, this is not the way I wanted to see DeNiro go out. Pacino as Hoffa is incredible tho...easily the best Actor among this ensemble.

And yeah, super stoked about 1917. War movies are like horror movies to me; if I don't watch them on the big screen, I simply can't enjoy them the same way @ home.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Even if you can get past the aging effects, there's just not much to The Irishman any way. He's a pretty simple character with no depth.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7.5/10
    Enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely gets a bump for the ending. Wasn't expecting that at all.
    The ending was such a great payoff.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Even if you can get past the aging effects, there's just not much to The Irishman any way. He's a pretty simple character with no depth.
    I would have much rather them focused on the local scene with Keitel's character than the bigger picture with Hoffa. To me, that's when it got kind of dull, regardless of Pacino's performance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The ending was such a great payoff.
    It really was. It was so wheels off. I think my favorite moment was when he popped the girl with the can of dog food. And the whole time, I'm wondering where DiCaprio is. And he summed it all up with, "what the " when they bust out the window.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It really was. It was so wheels off. I think my favorite moment was when he popped the girl with the can of dog food. And the whole time, I'm wondering where DiCaprio is. And he summed it all up with, "what the " when they bust out the window.

Yup. Throw in the fact that the movie had zero signature-Tarrantino-gore fests that you come to expect and he builds up Sharon Tate the entire movie knowing in the back of their heads that viewers are expecting a gruesome, Tarrantino-esque ending that will turn your stomach...instead we get one of the greatest comedy/violence balances ever when Pitt throws that turrible dog food at ol girl...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7.5/10
    Enjoyed it for the most part. Definitely gets a bump for the ending. Wasn't expecting that at all.
    No real plot or story but I loved the style, the characters and the acting.

The Brad Pitt vs Bruce Lee bit was hilarious

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    1917 is fantastic.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Watched one last nite on TUBI---"Clown" where this poor sap dresses as a clown for his son's birthday party & then can't get the gd costume, or, makeup back off. Gruesome in parts, cannibalism.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Irishman- 4.5/5-Really enjoyed it. Pacino was fantastic tbh.

Marriage Story-4/5- Well acted, kinda overrated imo. Don't get why Dern is supposed to be a lock for an Oscar. She was in like 5 scenes and really didn't steal any of them. Adam Driver is great per par.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood-4.5/5-Pretty great and thoroughly entertaining. Great ending.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Curious to see who wins best supporting actor- Pitt or Pacino.

Pitt seems like the more popular choice but I think Pacino's performance was better.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Rambo Last Blood 1/10

Hot garbage. Nothing about this flick says Rambo except for the 2 minutes he finally uses his trademark bow and arrow. Horrible acting horrible script

It gets a 1 instead of a zero because you might find some entertainment value in laughing at the Home Alone sequence at the end instead of attempting to take it serious
    Last edited by Blake; 01-29-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Joker 8/10
    Phoenix was a great joker. The pacing and set up for the climax was really good. The only thing that mildly surprised me was that he wasn't the one that killed the Waynes after the whole bit with his mom possibly having the affair.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I saw Weathering With You, it was pretty damn good if you like anime. My daughter really enjoyed it too. Not as good as Your Name, but still great and same director.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Ready or Not- 5.5-10

Talk about a let down. Fun movie to kill time but the 3rd act was bad.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Ready or Not- 5.5-10

Talk about a let down. Fun movie to kill time but the 3rd act was bad.
    Lol I'd forgotten I watched that.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Joker 8/10
    Phoenix was a great joker. The pacing and set up for the climax was really good. The only thing that mildly surprised me was that he wasn't the one that killed the Waynes after the whole bit with his mom possibly having the affair.
    Never liked that about the Nicholson Joker, but it was such a small-scale story it made some sense. Making the deaths Joker-inspired is a good starting point for bat boy if they continue this story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Uncut Gems - ed up. I can't even say what I want to say without mentioning spoilers.
    uncut gems could've been a lot better... worth seeing but... should've been better.
    Could y'all expound upon this on the Uncut Gems thread? (Once Search is working again. Currently disabled or I'd link to it.)

I saw it and thought it was meh pretty bad. Had great potential but what an egg layer. Anyway some talking points on thread. That way we won't spoil it for the 2-3 people that might still want to see it.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    1917: I'm a history buff. I immerse myself when I have down time reading up on human conflict and strife through out our existence. As the years and decades past, I often wonder how often will we see material about The Great War being produced. I mean, we still get a ton of WWII content since that's been a little over 75 years ago, but WWI has become a footnote in terms of the 20th century wars fought on the world scale. 1917 was a great watch. I had caught They Shall Not Grow Old in 2019 and thought that was a fascinating watch. That was a real look at what it was like to be part of the conflict through stories and advancement in technology. 1917 was a cinematography masterpiece in the scope that it was shot and the emotions that it conveyed in the way it was shot. I know war movies tend to find the heroic trope and that it can become redundant (Saving Private Ryan comes to mind in this scope at the very least...) but the claustrophobic appeal of this story gave it a real solid appeal as though we'd probably see less and less of movies like this and others like All Quiet on the Western Front, Johnny Got His Gun and Gallipoli. If I were to rate it, I'd give it a 8/10.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    1917: I'm a history buff. I immerse myself when I have down time reading up on human conflict and strife through out our existence. As the years and decades past, I often wonder how often will we see material about The Great War being produced. I mean, we still get a ton of WWII content since that's been a little over 75 years ago, but WWI has become a footnote in terms of the 20th century wars fought on the world scale. 1917 was a great watch. I had caught They Shall Not Grow Old in 2019 and thought that was a fascinating watch. That was a real look at what it was like to be part of the conflict through stories and advancement in technology. 1917 was a cinematography masterpiece in the scope that it was shot and the emotions that it conveyed in the way it was shot. I know war movies tend to find the heroic trope and that it can become redundant (Saving Private Ryan comes to mind in this scope at the very least...) but the claustrophobic appeal of this story gave it a real solid appeal as though we'd probably see less and less of movies like this and others like All Quiet on the Western Front, Johnny Got His Gun and Gallipoli. If I were to rate it, I'd give it a 8/10.
    Someone compared it to Dunkirk. Which I thought was good, not great.
    Is it better or worse than that?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    I've grown bored of WW2. It is a shame there is so little WW1 content on for example Netflix. I think the farther back you go and I've started to focus on warfare in 1600's onward - there is a romanticism to it. WW2 is focused on the advancement of military weaponry.

I very much enjoyed 1917. I would go higher with 8.5 rating.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Someone compared it to Dunkirk. Which I thought was good, not great.
    Is it better or worse than that?
    I think I made that comparison. Dunkirk benefits from having 3 simultaneous story lines - the main characters, the father/son on boat and the pilots. So near the end the film really speeds up in tempo. 1917 is steady but slightly more dramatic because of the single viewpoint. The film showcases every single second of the mission that he (main character) is awake. I tend to enjoy this scope in films. Not every scene to me requires an action sequence, lesson learned or plot advancement. Instead this is more realistic to me and I am able to put myself in characters shoes.

Thread Information