Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the legislative branch has been passing authority to the executive for quite some time now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. This one might not get the country bogged down in yet another military quagmire.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. This one might not get the country bogged down in yet another military quagmire.
    I was referring to the two years he spent in full-throated opposition to the very policies he now embraces. I don't think that particular trait was shared by either of his two predecessors.

And, last I checked, he's been President of the United States since January 2009; anytime he wanted to pick up our assets and pull out of his predecessor's "quagmires," he's been free to do so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And GWB was against "nation-building" once upon a time as a candidate. It happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that popular conservatism is tied at the hip to shooting up as many countries as possible, I guess we can forget that principle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the AUMF in Iraq prohibited an invasion.
    The 2002 AUMF is not based off a UN resolution. Compare and contrast with the 1991 AUMF passed by Congress "pursuant to United Nations Security Council Resolution 678"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The left es about the airstrikes, the right es that it was too late and too little. The president triangulates and the general public finds that to its liking. Not hard to see where this is heading.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2002 AUMF is not based off a UN resolution. Compare and contrast with the 1991 AUMF passed by Congress "pursuant to United Nations Security Council Resolution 678"
    Oh, I thought you meant he didn't have Congressional approval for an invasion. I don't care if the UN authorized it. If they don't like what we do, they can relocate their headquarters to some country that does.

And, I'm not going to go back and read all 17 UNSC resolutions, issued during the 90's and early 00's, against Iraq but, I'm pretty sure more than a few of them specifically said members could use all necessary means to stop Iraq from whatever insult that particularly UNSC resolution was drawn up to address. I read most of them, contemporaneous to their passage, and vaguely remember wondering why we didn't use that as justification to kick his ass on several ocassions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went back and read the 2002 AUMF in Iraq and, lo and behold, they did recall the several UNSC resolutions in the justifications section...

Whereas United Nations Security Council Resolution 678 (1990) authorizes the use of all necessary means to enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 660 (1990) and subsequent relevant resolutions and to compel Iraq to cease certain activities that threaten international peace and security, including the development of weapons of mass destruction and refusal or obstruction of United Nations weapons inspections in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 687 (1991), repression of its civilian population in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 688 (1991), and threatening its neighbors or United Nations operations in Iraq in violation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 949 (1994);
    Well, there goes that canard. Care to try something else, ElNono?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I thought you meant he didn't have Congressional approval for an invasion. I don't care if the UN authorized it. If they don't like what we do, they can relocate their headquarters to some country that does.
    No, I was specifically addressing this claim:

President Bush was armed with over a dozen UNSC resolutions authorizing "all necessary means" to stop Saddam Hussein's aggression.
    And, I'm not going to go back and read all 17 UNSC resolutions, issued during the 90's and early 00's, against Iraq but, I'm pretty sure more than a few of them specifically said members could use all necessary means to stop Iraq from whatever insult that particularly UNSC resolution was drawn up to address. I read most of them, contemporaneous to their passage, and vaguely remember wondering why we didn't use that as justification to kick his ass on several ocassions.
    It's clear that he thought he didn't have authorization from prior resolutions, otherwise he wouldn't have been requesting a new one authorizing the invasion. Then again, Bush Jr foreign policy was amongst the worst this country ever had, so it's no surprise he went maverick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And GWB was against "nation-building" once upon a time as a candidate. It happens.
    September 11 changed his mind. You can disagree but, at least he has a reason for the shift in ideology.

What's Obama's excuse?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's clear that he thought he didn't have authorization from prior resolutions, otherwise he wouldn't have been requesting a new one authorizing the invasion. Then again, Bush Jr foreign policy was amongst the worst this country ever had, so it's no surprise he went maverick.
    I'm going to assume you were composing this when I was posting the AUMF's language referring to the previous UNSC resolutions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went back and read the 2002 AUMF in Iraq and, lo and behold, they did recall the several UNSC resolutions in the justifications section...
    Except that UN resolution 678 was the one that authorized Desert Storm back in the Bush Sr days, which was subsequently superseded by the weapons inspection resolutions and the no-fly zone resolutions (some of which Saddam didn't entirely comply with, but neither of which authorized invasion).

But keep glossing over wikipedia, maybe you'll find a smoking gun.

Well, there goes that canard. Care to try something else, ElNono?
    Not really. I think Powell dog and pony show in the UN is fairly well do ented, along with the lack of alleged WMD program.
    But maybe we should wait until all do ents are translated, Yoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to assume you were composing this when I was posting the AUMF's language referring to the previous UNSC resolutions.
    I was, but the point stands, and you didn't answer it.
    If he felt like he had authorization, why did he seek a new resolution from the UN?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was, but the point stands, and you didn't answer it.
    If he felt like he had authorization, why did he seek a new resolution from the UN?
    To give them a chance to get on board. Who knows but, if he thought he needed it, he was disabused of that before March of 2003.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    September 11 changed his mind. You can disagree but, at least he has a reason for the shift in ideology.

What's Obama's excuse?
    Prudence. Not a bad concept. There are plenty of two bit asshole dictators around the world. Further, can not Obama claim a change of mind after actually occupying the big chair for a couple years? That was the right's meme in the last election, after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prudence. Not a bad concept. There are plenty of two bit asshole dictators around the world. Further, can not Obama claim a change of mind after actually occupying the big chair for a couple years? That was the right's meme in the last election, after all.
    Has he claimed such? And, if he did, I'd be interested to hear what seminal event led to that change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll leave that to him. Did GWB ever acknowledge his 180?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To give them a chance to get on board. Who knows but, if he thought he needed it, he was disabused of that before March of 2003.
    You don't need a UN resolution for that, just pick up the phone.
    Disabused by who? US lawyers?

Going at it alone reflected very poorly outside of the US, something that even cost them some allies during operations (Spain comes to mind). Now, I suspect you don't give a about what the rest of the world thinks, and that's certainly your choice.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, justification should never be a predicate to putting our military into harms way.
    Iraq wasn't justified.

By the way, Obama has gone 29-3 in his bracket picks over the first two days. You have to spend a lot of time watching college basketball to be that good.
    Not really. Only an idiot would think that.
    I doubt justifying his actions in Libya are at the top of his priority list.
    You are a complete ing loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll leave that to him.
    That's fine but, will you harangue him as you did Bush?

Did GWB ever acknowledge his 180?
    Yes, on several occasions. His opposition to "nation-building" was abandoned when the Taliban-run government of Afghanistan refused to give up the terrorists, based there, that had perpetrated the 9-11 attacks.

He's stated it in interviews and it's in his memoir, "Decision Points."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't need a UN resolution for that, just pick up the phone.
    When you're President, do it your way.

Disabused by who? US lawyers?
    Most likely by Saddam Hussein but, really, you'd need to ask him.

Going at it alone reflected very poorly outside of the US, something that even cost them some allies during operations (Spain comes to mind). Now, I suspect you don't give a about what the rest of the world thinks, and that's certainly your choice.
    There was originally a 49 country coalition involved in the invasion of Iraq. I'm not sure they started bailing as fast as did Obama's Arab partners in his back-seat driving of the coalition that attacked Libya yesterday.

They're already whining about his truth in advertising the moment the meaning of a no-fly zone dawns on them that civilians may be killed.

Arab League condemns broad Western bombing campaign in Libya

And, now, the Chinese and Russians appear to be getting pissed, saying we've already exceeded our stated objective. That's a ing day after the shooting starts.

Oh, and no matter what the administration says, the world sees this as a U.S.-led action. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs even said, we have "unique" assets that no one else has that makes this operation possible.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is yoni ing about here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't even a war, it's just a one-sided bombing campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, Obama has gone 29-3 in his bracket picks over the first two days. You have to spend a lot of time watching college basketball to be that good.
    it seems like the ones that know absolutely nothing about college ball are the ones that win the tourneys I'm in every year.

Thread Information