Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    disintegrating military? stfu... the u.s. has been the world's moral authority since the early 1900's... world leaders have never trusted the u.s. administration(dem or rep)...

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saddam was an SOB. He should have been overthrown in the 80's by the Reagan Administration...
    Better late than never.

Besides, all you whiners wouldn't let Stormin' Norman do it in 91.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was all for it back then, though I understand the reasoning against it--much of it is playing out now. Much more difficult sell this time around.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was all for it back then, though I understand the reasoning against it--much of it is playing out now. Much more difficult sell this time around.
    Why? If he need to go then, why not now? Did he redeem himself somehow?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not now?
    Precisely because we didn't do it then. It's certain there wouldn't have been as much internal and external resistance to removing him after Gulf War I. We had the chance then and blew it. Notice I said it was a tougher sell.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precisely because we didn't do it then. It's certain there wouldn't have been as much internal and external resistance to removing him after Gulf War I. We had the chance then and blew it. Notice I said it was a tougher sell.
    But, it's done. He's gone. Why are you still opposed?

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better late than never.

Are you kidding me? You might want to read what Bush and Powell have to say about that decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you still opposed?
    I'm opposed to being lied to.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm opposed to being lied to.
    Well then, just because you believe you were lied to, let's allow a murderous dictator continue to reign and terrorize an entire region of the globe.

Because, it's all about you, isn't it?

My uncles' friend is JFK NameDropper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumor has it this administration's credibility is toast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then, just because you believe you were lied to
    I was. You can't be that naiive.
    let's allow a murderous dictator continue to reign and terrorize an entire region of the globe.
    We already did. Gave him all kinds of support while he did it too. Hooray for us, we're always right.
    No it's all about all those folks who have died on both sides. I know you don't give a about them, so wave your flag and support whatever your party tells you to.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW dumbass aka "reserected one" the conflicts in Sudan and Rawanda that chump pointed are the two most horrendous genocides since the holocaust. In Sudan 98.7 percent of black african girls are raped before they are.....12.

, Chump and NBAdan OW3NED YOU

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW dumbass aka "reserected one" the conflicts in Sudan and Rawanda that chump pointed are the two most horrendous genocides since the holocaust.
    Okay, 1) There is no U.S. interest in those countries...and 2) do you think we could stop the genocide?
    In Sudan 98.7 percent of black african girls are raped before they are.....12.
    Probably by UN workers too...
    , Chump and NBAdan OW3NED YOU
    Oh well...I'm crushed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought The Almighty Bush and his conservative agenda placed human life on the top of their priorities....does that only count when it benefits their wallets?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's just saying it's about oil.

Why not say that in the first place and leave out all this "Saddam did bad things to his people so we must stop him" crap?

As you said, better late than never.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i think we could stop the genocides, stop giving the sudanese government the f-16 they use to bomb their people, now there is a place to start, and second go in and stop the Janjaweed from entering the concentratgion camps they put the Darfurians in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, you thought they had actual stockpiles of WMDs. We already knew the equipment was there -- how else could the UN say they were missing? BTW, wouldn't it be a good idea to actually let the inspectors back in the country so they can give us a complete list of what they think is missing?

Why? They already did a survey. The "Duefler Report" detailed pretty much everything.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.N.: Weapons equipment missing in Iraq

Just curious...because, well, I thought Iraq had no WMD capabilities.
    Read the link you gave. A lot of this stuff is "dual use", meaning that the same equipment than can be used to may say, fertilizer or beer or whathaveyou can be retooled and used to make chemical or biological weapons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets get a few things straight:

Saddam didn't really have much of any program to develop weapons. Read the link I gave to the report that Duefler did. It is the most comprehensive look into what Saddam had, what he didn't have, and what he wanted.

It basically said:

1) We couldn't find a stockpile or any evidence of one, but can't conclusively rule out the existance of such a stockpile.

2) Saddam had every intention of restarting WMD programs as soon as the sanctions were lifted, but was genuinely afraid to have WMD's or start the programs for fear of reprisals.

3)The sanctions grip were loosening over time.

This says that the sanctions were indeed working. I would go further to say that instead of a costly and prolonged invasion/occupation, we could have simply re-emphasized the sanctions regime and accomplished the same goal of keeping WMD's out of his hands without 1200+ and climbing US servicemember deaths, 10,000 wounded and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilian deaths. I was advocating this before the invasion, and the data suggest that I was right. Small comfort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and imagine how rich kofi's son would have been if the u.s. hadn't ruined it for him. 12+ years of violating the un laws and attacking u.s. and british planes was too long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I also believe it's the ultimate stupidity to believe Saddam Hussein had the capability to produce Weaponse of Mass Destruction and that he wasn't either a) doing so or b) situating himself to do so on a very short time frame (as has been suggested by some of his former generals).

Personally, I believe the WMD's existed. At the very least, Saddam Hussein could have cons uted enough to do great harm given the chance...which WAS by the way, one of the main justifications for war; not that he had them but that if he did, by the time we found out, it would be too late...there'd be another smoldering hole on U.S. soil.

And another thing. I also personally believe Saddam Hussein was completely flummoxed by the U.S. invading without U.N. approval. I'm equally certain that he'd be assured by France, Germany, Russia, and Kofi Annan that the U.S. could be reined in...which is the only explanation for why we felled Bagdhad so easily and in only 21 days.

I cannot fathom the ignorance it must take to continue holding onto your anti-Bush conventions in light of the corruption of the U.N. OFF program and the implications it has for conspiracy between France, Germany, Russia, and the U.N. to posture Iraq in a more favorable light so the gravy train could continue.

A bit right, a bit wrong.

Yes, as I stated in my previous posts, he would have continued his WMD programs.

No, he would not have given them to terrorists.

Yes, he probably was flummoxed. Not sure how relevant this is. We are talking stategy, not tactics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better late than never.

It wasn't "whiners", it was a decision by George Sr. not to go in because he didn't really believe he had the justification to do so. He has since changed his mind about that decision, but "whiners" had nothing to do with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply put the invasion wasn't justifiable.

Would Iraq have been better off with Saddam? The jury is still out on that one. If Iraq slides into a civil war, then yes.

Do I think Saddam is a great guy? No. Give him a trial, and I will shed no tears for his lifeless swinging corpse.

The fact that the war wasn't justifiable doesn't bother me as much as the sheer incompetance displayed by the administratio in running the occupation afterwards that bugs me. Bush should be impeached for every single one of those flag draped coffins, as his administrations lack of foresight and realistic planning are directly responible for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then, just because you believe you were lied to, let's allow a murderous dictator continue to reign and terrorize an entire region of the globe.

We prop up a lot of murderous dictators, and put up with a lot more, what would have been any different about letting Saddam stay.

Two words, Nukular (freaking) Weapons. These bas s can have all the WMD's they want and at the end of the day we can still leave their countries a sea of black, radioactive glass and not break a sweat. MAD kept us from WW3 and it keeps idiots from thinking they go the nut to take us on now. Brutal dictators aren't stupid. They got to power by being the evilist SOBs in their neighborhood, but know that they could be easily snuffed out if the US ever felt the justifaction to do so.

This is what would have kept Iraqi WMD out of hte hands of Al Qaeda (among ohter things).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and imagine how rich kofi's son would have been if the u.s. hadn't ruined it for him
    having kofi's son getting rich instead of over 1000 of our troops losing their lives is a trade-off i would gladly make

Thread Information