Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.K. guv takes threat of bee-killing pesticides seriously. Why doesn’t the U.S.?

by Tom Philpott
    31 Mar 2011 1:45 PM

Remember neonicotinoids? They're the widely used class of pesticides that an increasing body of evidence -- including from USDA researchers -- implicates in the collapse of honeybee populations. Neonicotinoids are marketed by the agrichemical giant Bayer, which reels in about $800 million in sales from them each year.

Germany (Bayer's home country), France, and Slovenia have either banned their use outright or limited it severely. Meanwhile, the U.S. EPA has stood by its approval of them -- even though its own scientists have discredited Bayer's research purporting to declare neonicotinoids safe for bees, and the USDA's chief bee scientist, Jeff Pettis, has reported doing research showing them to be highly harmful to bees even in extremely low doses.

Good news: A government body is reconsidering the decision to approve those chemicals, based partly on concerns raised by Pettis. Less-good news: That government body is not our own; it's in the United Kingdom.

Our own EPA has maintained its approval for the pesticides -- and farmers throughout the nation will soon plant tens of millions of acres of neonicotinoid-treated corn seeds, which will soon sprout into trillions of corn plants with neonicotinoid-infused pollen.

From London-based The Independent:
    Growing concern about the new generation of pesticides used on 2.5 million acres of U.K. farmland has led one of the Government's most senior scientific advisers to order a review of the evidence used to justify their safety.
    That scientist, Robert Watson, is the chief scientific adviser at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), the U.K. version of the EPA.

Watson's concern was triggered by two recent studies, The Independent reports. The first is Pettis' as yet unpublished study, whose existence was revealed by The Independent in January. The second, according to the newspaper, is new research from the French National Ins ute for Agricultural Research, which also found bees highly vulnerable to neonicotinoids in small doses.

It appears that the pesticides compromise bees' immune systems, making them susceptible to a viral pathogen called nosema.

Now, it's important to note that both Pettis' work and that of the French National Ins ute for Agricultural Research took place in the laboratory, not the field. That is, they established that neonicotinoids theoretically pose a grave threat to honeybees. That's not the same as showing that they harm them in real-world, corn-field conditions.

But given the decline of honeybee health, which roughly tracks with the explosion of neonicotinoid use in the late '90s, these studies show clear cause for grave concern. The coauthor of the Pettis study, Penn State University entomologist Dennis Van Engelsdorp, has stated [PDF] that their research found severe harm from neonicotinoids at extremely low levels, "below the limit of detection." He added: "The only reason we knew the [dead] bees had exposure [to neonicotinoid pesticides] is because we exposed them."

What about field tests? The study presented by Bayer to show that the pesticides don't cause harm in real-world conditions has been thoroughly discredited. The EPA had accepted the study, after holding it without comment for two years; but then, last year, its own scientists downgraded it on the grounds that it was flawed, an internal EPA memo leaked in December showed.

Apparently, to professional entomologists not on the Bayer payroll, the study was plainly shoddy. James Frazier, professor of entomology at Penn State, minced no words when I asked him about it in December. "When I looked at the study," he told me in a phone interview, "I immediately thought it was invalid."

So we've got the theoretical possibility that neonicotinoids cause serious harm to bees even at extremely low levels; we've got one of the few actual field studies exonerating the pesticide declared invalid; and we've got a catastrophic decline of a species critical to agriculture that coincides with the rise of said pesticide. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to conclude that there's sufficient evidence to halt its use and subject it to rigorous, independent field study.

They're at least considering that course of action in the United Kingdom. And they're taking USDA scientist Pettis quite seriously. True, his research remains unpublished two years after it was completed. He has told me in emails that his study is in the review process for publication, but has no release date yet. He emphasized that the "delays are on my end; not a conspiracy to keep my data from seeing the light of day."

Delayed or not, Pettis' research has inspired the U.K.'s version of EPA to publicly review its decision to green-light neonicotinoids. Furthermore, Pettis "sits on a panel of leading experts who will review a £10m [$16 million] research initiative into the decline of bees funded by Defra, two of Britain's research councils, the Wellcome Trust and the Scottish Government," the Independent reports. He'll also address the House of Commons next month to "present his findings on neonicotinoids to MPs concerned about the possible link between the pesticides and the demise of bees and pollinating insects."

Hmm. Surely there are members of our analogue to the House of Commons, the House of Representatives, who are concerned about the possible link between the pesticides and the demise of bees and pollinating insects? Perhaps those formidable defenders of the environment, Reps. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.)? Or Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y), who has been so heroic in the fight to prevent the meat industry from abusing antibiotics?

Tragically, it's probably too late to stop the planting of neonicotinoid-laced crops during this spring's growing season. But the long-term health of our pollinators -- and the health of the vast swaths of agriculture that rely on them -- demands serious attention to the mounting concerns about this highly profitable and ubiquitous class of pesticides.
    http://www.grist.org/industrial-agri...neonicotinoids

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's springtime, and farmers throughout the Midwest and South are preparing to plant corn—and lots of it. The USDA projects this year's corn crop will cover 94 million acres, the most in 68 years. (By comparison, the state of California occupies a land mass of about 101 million acres.) Nearly all of that immense stand of corn will be planted with seeds treated with neonicotinoid pesticides produced by the German chemical giant Bayer.
    And that may be very bad news for honey bees, which remain in a dire state of health, riddled by large annual die-offs that have become known as "colony collapse disorder" (CCD).

In the past months, three separate studies—two of them just out in the prestigious journal Science—have added to a substantial body of literature linking widespread use of neonicotinoids to CCD. The latest research will renew pressure on the EPA to reconsider its registration of Bayer's products. The EPA green-lighted Bayer's products based largely on a study funded by the chemical giant itself—which was later discredited by the EPA's own scientists, as this leaked memo shows.
    http://motherjones.com/tom-philpott/...e-bees-studies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    • In a paper forthcoming in the peer-reviewed and highly respected journal Science—released Thursday on (subscription-required) ScienceExpress—researchers found that exposure to small, sublethal doses of a neonic called thiamethoxam significantly affects bees' ability to find their way back to their hives—"at levels that could put a colony at risk of collapse." The research team also found that previous impact studies "are likely to severely underestimate sublethal pesticide effects when they are conducted on honey bee colonies placed in the immediate proximity of treated crops."

• The other forthcoming Science paper—also behind a paywall on ScienceExpress—looked at neonics' effect on wild bumblebees, which are another critical pollinator that have gone into severe decline in recent years. In this study, researchers subjected bumblebee colonies to "field-realistic levels of the neonicotinoid imidacloprid" and then "allowed them to develop naturally under field conditions." The result: "Treated colonies had a significantly reduced growth rate and suffered an 85% reduction in production of new queens." Their conclusion: "Given the scale of use of neonicotinoids, we suggest that they may be having a considerable negative impact on wild bumble bee populations across the developed world."

• The third recent study, published in the American Chemical Society's Environmental Science & Technology journal, looked at what happens to bees when farmers plant treated seeds, when foraging bees are exposed to neonic-containing dust. The authors found "lethal effects compatible with colony losses phenomena observed by beekeepers."
    same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US just staying two steps behind European countries like the US usually does.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italy ran an field experiment, banning neonicotinoid in a region of Italy. The bee population was stable or increased.

As with the FDA's recent BPA chicken out, BigChem will pay FDA to let nico. usage continue "pending further study". UCA has captured, owns the regulatory agencies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Biotech Company Blamed for Bee Collapse Just Bought Leading Bee Research Firm?

Monsanto, which is the world leader in this type of biotechnology, is likely none too pleased about the recent accusations hurled against their product, so they've taken matters into their own hands and purchased one of the leading bee research firms – one that, conveniently, lists its primary goal as studying colony collapse disorder.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...0508_DNL_art_2

Scientists: Corn Seed Coating Possible Bee-Killing Culprit

since Italy banned this type of insecticide, colony collapse disorder has virtually disappeared, making neonicotinoid insecticides major suspects in the causes of colony collapse disorder.

http://www.rodale.com/research-feed/...lapse-disorder

UCA will over the environment, water, land for profit. They now have the financial power to stop anybody trying to stop them.

Once CCD is more widespread and food dependent on bee pollination becomes scarce, the UCA will make $100Bs in windfall profits, just like the oilcos post peak-oil and/or during MIC-induced war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always figured this was a given. The african bee scare was supposed to overtake the northern US. Then all the bees start dying....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many years, if ever, will it take for US to ban Neonicotinoid pesticides?

If the still-unbanned endocrine disrupters like atrazine and BPA are any guide, many, many years.

BigChem owns enough legislators to keep those profits rolling in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do y'all have dogs? How do you control fleas/ticks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a pet monkey that picks them off of the dogs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fire ants.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Study proves pesticide exposure linked to bumblebee colony failures

In the colonies exposed to imidacloprid, fewer adult workers emerged from larvae and a higher proportion of foragers failed to return to the nest, the investigators found.
    In those exposed to gamma-cyhalothrin, there was a higher death rate among worker bees.

And colonies that were exposed to both kinds of pesticides were likelier to fail.

The experiment was exceptionally long and detailed, the scientists say.

It lasted four weeks, whereas current guidelines test pesticides on bees for only up to 96 hours.

In addition, it looked at what happened when bees were exposed to two chemicals at the same time and at the changes in a colony’s social structure.

“Our findings have clear implications for the conservation of insect pollinators in areas of agricultural intensification, particularly social bees, with their complex social organisation and dependence on a critical threshold of workers,” says the study, published in Nature.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/2...=Google+Reader

How many more years will BigChem be able successfully to pay Congress s for not banning this poisonous . Corporate profits trump EVERYTHING.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With flea/tick control legislation.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    With flea/tick control legislation.
    Would you please stop talking like a lib ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right-wingers ignoring and denying science that indicts corporate products and risks reducing corporate profits.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mystery Malady Kills More Bees, Heightening Worry on Farms

A mysterious malady that has been killing honeybees en masse for several years appears to have expanded drastically in the last year, commercial beekeepers say, wiping out 40 percent or even 50 percent of the hives needed to pollinate many of the nation’s fruits and vegetables.

A conclusive explanation so far has escaped scientists studying the ailment, colony collapse disorder, since it first surfaced around 2005. But beekeepers and some researchers say there is growing evidence that a powerful new class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, incorporated into the plants themselves, could be an important factor.

The pesticide industry disputes that. But its representatives also say they are open to further studies to clarify what, if anything, is happening.

“They looked so healthy last spring,” said Bill Dahle, 50, who owns Big Sky Honey in Fairview, Mont. “We were so proud of them. Then, about the first of September, they started to fall on their face, to die like crazy. We’ve been doing this 30 years, and we’ve never experienced this kind of loss before.”

In a show of concern, the Environmental Protection Agency recently sent its acting assistant administrator for chemical safety and two top chemical experts here, to the San Joaquin Valley of California, for discussions.
    In the valley, where 1.6 million hives of bees just finished pollinating an endless expanse of almond groves, commercial beekeepers who only recently were losing a third of their bees to the disorder say the past year has brought far greater
    losses.

The federal Agriculture Department is to issue its own assessment in May. But in an interview, the research leader at its Beltsville, Md., bee research laboratory, Jeff Pettis, said he was confident that the death rate would be “much higher than it’s ever been.”

Following a now-familiar pattern, bee deaths rose swiftly last autumn and dwindled as operators moved colonies to faraway farms for the pollination season. Beekeepers say the latest string of deaths has dealt them a heavy blow.

Bret Adee, who is an owner, with his father and brother, of Adee Honey Farms of South Dakota, the nation’s largest beekeeper, described mounting losses.

“We lost 42 percent over the winter. But by the time we came around to pollinate almonds, it was a 55 percent loss,” he said in an interview here this week.

“They looked beautiful in October,” Mr. Adee said, “and in December, they started falling apart, when it got cold.”

Mr. Dahle said he had planned to bring 13,000 beehives from Montana — 31 tractor-trailers full — to work the California almond groves. But by the start of pollination last month, only 3,000 healthy hives remained.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nicotine Bees" Population Restored With Neonicotinoids Ban

Following France and Germany, last year the Italian Agriculture Ministry suspended the use of a class of pesticides, nicotine-based neonicotinoids, as a "precautionary measure." The compelling results - restored bee populations - prompted the government to uphold the ban.

Yesterday, copies of the film 'Nicotine Bees' were delivered to the US Congress explaining the pesticide's connection to Colony Collapse Disorder. Despite the evidence, why does CCD remain a 'mystery' in the US?

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...noids-ban.html

... because BigChem profits would be hurt if neonicotinoid were banned.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The view from another side:

Bee-ing Smart: Regulators Must Distinguish Activists' Bad Dreams From Good Evidence

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymil...tual-evidence/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The view from another side:

Bee-ing Smart: Regulators Must Distinguish Activists' Bad Dreams From Good Evidence

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymil...tual-evidence/
    Forbes and BigChem

activists have bad dreams? great bias right in the headline. farmers and bee people are having BAD NIGHTMARES

Forbes?
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You can't address the article. Not surprising. What does thinkprogress tell you to say about this?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You laugh at Forbes and it's quotes from COLOSS yet post a link from treehugger.com

lol simpleton.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Hoover Ins ution"

"bad dreams"

"science is unsettled"

"studies bad"

"needs more study"

(keep the corporate profits rolling no matter what the externalities and damages)

Thread Information