Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/...michael-jordan

Lionel Messi is the most popular athlete in the United States of America right now, according to a poll conducted by SSRS.

The research company has been polling American sports fans aged 12 and over every quarter since 1995 and this is the first time that a soccer player has received the most votes.

Messi received just under 5% of all votes in the most recent poll but that was still more than any other individual.

Retired NBA star Michael Jordan had been America's favorite sportsperson in the previous two quarters - also with just under 5% of each vote.

Jordan had previously been no.1 for over a decade between 1995 and 2006, peaking at close to 20% in 1998.

Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry, LeBron James and Tom Brady have also held the le of the most popular athlete in the USA.

A graph showing who has been the most popular athlete in the USA in every quarter since 1995

Messi's popularity in the USA ed following his transfer from Paris Saint-Germain to Inter Miami in June 2023.

However, he was already America's favorite professional soccer player before coming to Miami.

A few months after leading Argentina to FIFA World Cup glory in Qatar in December 2022, Messi was three times more popular among Americans than his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo.

He is now more than four times more popular than Ronaldo in the USA.

A graph charting the popularity of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo between 2021 and December 2023 based on who American sports fans voted for as their favorite soccer player

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    McGwire and Shaq were massive in the late 90s-early 2000s too

Stone Cold probably missed the list on fake sport technicality in the early 2000s.

Ronaldinho was overwhelmingly liked by all but short period of global dominance

Hockey is very regional & parity filled with nationalism underneath.

Baseball - Randy Johnson, Ichiro, Trout and recently Ohtani but now joined very hated franchise

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    not surprising, we've got millions of be@ners jumping the border every month.

USA??? More like Northern Hemisphere Brazil i saaaaaiiiiidddddd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clutch as MJ, tbh.

Thread Information