Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    phyzik: Yup, I definitely did some Gemmell covers back in the day (about 8 or 9 years ago). Those tend to be more photography-centric illustrations, and I'm almost embarrassed by those now. Didn't have as much confidence in my draftsmanship and painting skills back then. Was still developing. Still am, but I think my stuff is better now.

Met Gemmell once and he was very gracious. Said he loved the cover for LEGEND. Made me feel good.

Very much agree with you and Cry about how great the GRRM / ASOIAF books are. My wife is NOT an epic fantasy reader. She's much more of a thriller/suspense reader. The words 'epic fantasy' have always been a turnoff for her. But when I took on the calendar gig, I convinced her to read A GAME OF THRONES and she devoured it, as well as the rest of the series. She loved the whole series. I think they're amongst the best books I've ever read, bar none.

Thats cool man.... Have you ever redone a Druss cover? I'd like to see what you could come up with now compared to Legend.

I'm assuming this was your cover....

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Phyzik, ever read robert jordan?

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Phyzik, ever read robert jordan?
    I read a few of the Wheel of Time series.... It was good, I just never picked it up again.

I think the last one I read from Wheel of Time was book 5: The Fires of Heaven.

Also read all of his Conan books.

Never checked out Fallon or Infinity of Heaven though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Brandon Sanderson has 1 book left to complete Wheel of Time.

Sucks that Jordan died before writing all the words himself, but I think Sanderson has done an amazing job with the material and ending Jordan Left him.

My enjoyment actually went up on the books he started on.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Brandon Sanderson has 1 book left to complete Wheel of Time.

Sucks that Jordan died before writing all the words himself, but I think Sanderson has done an amazing job with the material and ending Jordan Left him.

My enjoyment actually went on the books he started on.
    The one book Im waiting for the most is Inheritance from Christopher Paolini.

I know its supposed to be a teen book but I just cant give up a good Dragon story. For a long time I avoided the Eragon books like the plague after the movie came out but after I had the chance to read the first one, Im hooked to see what happens and cant wait for November to come around.

It's sad to say, but I actually took a day off from work and spent the whole day reading Brisingr from start to finish. Took me 13 hours, and now Im pissed I have to wait until November to finish the story.

I guess Im cursed that way.... If I pick up a good book, I wont stop reading. Most books I can finish in a day or two... Then I'm stuck having to wait for the next one ( you Salvatore!!! Make more Drizzt books!!). Then, while waiting for the next book in a series, I stupidly go out and get a totally different series and plow thru that one.....

Its an endless cycle.... Im doomed to be reading these books forever.
    Last edited by phyzik; 04-05-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Do you expect me to talk? DieMrBond's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This series is next on my list of things to read, assuming i can scam a copy off of someone!

I agree with phyzik, Salvatore definitely needs to make more Drizzt books... they arent exactly high brow, but damn are they fun. I'm currently re-reading the Feist series from the start, all the way through - just finished Exiles Return. Definitely one of my favourite series...

DragonLance is my other pet series - love the Weis/Hickman core novels...

Anyway, back on topic - this looks freaking awesome. Sean Bean, ever since 006 has been one of my favourite actors.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My fave characters:

1. Jaime Lannister.
    2. Tyrion Lannister.
    3. Arya Stark

I also like reading from Cersei's POV, not because her character is likeable, but she is enjoyable to read about, and I think it's a fairly accurate depiction of how someone would behave in such a situation with her temperament. Seeing her continually err so often is very entertaining.

I'm halfway through book 4.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    I'm current, but it's been so long since Feast for Crows (over five freaking years!!) that I need to go back and catch up. Maybe there's a Cliff's Note version out there - ha!

Now THIS series and its humungous books is one that makes me wish I had a Kindle.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    FFC is just a lot to chew on considering most people's favorites aren't in the damned thing.

Without Jon, Bran, Daenerys, or Tyrion chapters, it take a long time to get through...

I actually forgot another great character that should be on the list... Sam

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Looks pretty badass.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah, it's been over a month since he announced it would be available on July 12 but there's been no official "yes, it's really finished" update. Takes a while to print that many books and get them shipped out to bookstores. Gone from 129 days remaining to 98 ...

Maybe we can get Kori to set us up a vBookie on whether or not it'll be out on time!
    Read something yesterday - he's still not done, but thought he was close enough for the publisher to release a date. Maybe he should quit editing all those Sci Fi novels.

http://io9.com/#!5788838/george-rr-m...ending-of-lost

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    As far as fantasy goes, I also really enjoyed the Lukyanenko quadrology that starts with Night Watch. After I saw and loved the movie I read all of the books. A very fun, quick series read.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    Read something yesterday - he's still not done, but thought he was close enough for the publisher to release a date. Maybe he should quit editing all those Sci Fi novels.

http://io9.com/#!5788838/george-rr-martin-talks-about-world+building-tinkering-and-the-ending-of-lost
    That's where it sat a month ago when he originally announced the date. Would have been nice to have heard he's made significant progress since then, didn't see anything to that effect.

People have been after GRRM for seemingly doing everything BUT ADWD for years. Besides editing crap like Wild Cards, he goes to a LOT of cons. Last year he cut down quite a bit on conventions and that may have helped him make progress.

There is serious concern about GRRM being able to finish the series - there are still at least two* more books due, he's no spring chicken (63 in September), and the time between books has been increasing at an alarming rate.

Game of Thrones - Oct 1996
    Clash of Kings - Feb 1999 (28 months)
    Storm of Swords - Oct 2000 (20 months)
    Feast of Crows - Nov 2005 (61 months)
    Dance with Dragons - Jul 2011 (67 months)
    Winds of Winter - ?
    Dream of Spring - ?

* - Feast of Crows/Dance With Dragons was originally supposed to be one book, so who knows whether the other 'two' remaining will have to be split up too.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm current, but it's been so long since Feast for Crows (over five freaking years!!) that I need to go back and catch up. Maybe there's a Cliff's Note version out there - ha!

Now THIS series and its humungous books is one that makes me wish I had a Kindle.
    I bought my Kindle about a month ago.... Well worth the $139 (about $150 after tax). It's been within reach day and night, even at work when there is nothing else to do.

Probably the best investment I've made in a long while. As much as I like books, it gets to be a pain in the ass when you have over 200 books laying around.

Most of them have been taken to half price books now though. Made a good chunk of change so far doing that.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Excellent series. 14 minutes looked very very good. Officially excited for this one. Guess I'm buying HBO for a few months.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So, what did you all think?

To me, it starts off slow just like the books.... To me thats a good thing.... I dont think I can recall a series thats based off a book series that actually follows the story of the books in TV format.

For those that watched the first episode but never read the book.... Give it a chance and keep watching.... It picks up quickly if they continue to follow the books as closely as it appears they are.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Baylor Bears
    Didn't read the books and watched the first episode tonight and I loved it. Has alot of potential and thought they did a good job of introducing alot of the characters while keeping me entertained. Between the white walkers (still alot to learn about these things, whatever they are), the impending invasion by the crazy mother ers on horseback (I'm assuming), and the corruption within the main kingdom, I see alot of ways this series can go. And the ending was also pretty ed up, but made for some pretty dramatic television. Definitely looking forward to next weeks episode.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought they did a really good job.

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

And the ending was also pretty ed up, but made for some pretty dramatic television. Definitely looking forward to next weeks episode.
    GRRM sex scenes are the most hilarious (and best-worst) parts of the series. 4 years younger Dany ended up wet and liking it IRRC in that scene from the book.

I see alot of ways this series can go.
    Read the books, .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

I have no desire to read the books, but your comment does remind me of a friend of mine that was a big fan of the LotR movie trilogy. The wait between the Two Towers and Return of the King was torture for him, since he "couldn't wait to see what happened!"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The greatest fantasy series of all-time, IMO. People who think Lord of the Rings is fantastic story telling should really read this.
    Meh. Read all the hype on here about it and came away disappointed.

Its not bad but quite frankly he obviously changed the plot line several times.

Lets build up all these characters. Get a line going. Oh I want to write more than three books so I will kill off half of them. Oh wait one of them needs to be made undead.

Lalalalalalala.

The writing is pretty good but I personally prefer Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen better.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    phyzik with a surprisingly fresh troll gig.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    alll of a sudden I had HBO turned on this sunday. Must be a promotional thing with this show.

Saw it and it was so-so. I am sure the story is great but that does not mean the show will be good. In these movies it's all about having the ambience, the world has to seem real. This one is not as great as LOTR. The extras are seen doing their daily duties but it all looks a little fake. Hope it gets better. But IMO this won't even compete with LOTR.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    alll of a sudden I had HBO turned on this sunday. Must be a promotional thing with this show.

Saw it and it was so-so. I am sure the story is great but that does not mean the show will be good. In these movies it's all about having the ambience, the world has to seem real. This one is not as great as LOTR. The extras are seen doing their daily duties but it all looks a little fake. Hope it gets better. But IMO this won't even compete with LOTR.
    It's a ing TV series, dude. You're comparing an HBO TV series with some of the most absurdly expensive budgeted movies of all time, and a series where the third movie takes a on the audience for three hours.

NB:lol Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_ Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fa kers_ 21_Blessings's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

I personally prefer Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen better.

Thread Information