Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast
    bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dammit, looks like Im going to have to get HBO again.

Im currently about 200 pages into book 3, hopefully I can finish it and book 4 before April 17th.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Looks good. I was surprised to see the guy who was in that series with Jami Gertz. Can't remember the name, it was from when every show was about a goofy fat guy with a hot wife.

Hey Bruce... Lebron is the Rock Sec24Row7's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dammit, looks like Im going to have to get HBO again.

Im currently about 200 pages into book 3, hopefully I can finish it and book 4 before April 17th.
    Don't kill yourself... This season is only book 1... and Feast for Crows is hard to get through...

Hopefully we actually get Dance with Dragons in July like they are saying.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't kill yourself... This season is only book 1... and Feast for Crows is hard to get through...

ehh, Im not forcing myself to read any more than I usually do... I easily go through at least 50 pages a day when Im in a good book.

I'll admit though, at first when I started reading the series I was a bit put off on the format of switching between characters and reading it from each characters point of view, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

I wonder if the TV series will keep to that format?

Pain Strength Happiness ManuBalboa's Avatar
    Name
    Leonard Washington
    A little town by the name of none of your god damned business.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In. Huge fan of Sean Bean; dude was made for Sword&Shield/Medieval movies. I even sat through that entire movie of his - Black Death.
    Last edited by ManuBalboa; 04-04-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I was about to make a bad ass Official Thread for this.. :'(

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In. Huge fan of Sean Bean; dude was made for Sword&Shield/Medieval movies. I even sat through that entire movie of his - Black Death.
    You didnt like Black Death?

I thought it was pretty good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The greatest fantasy series of all-time, IMO. People who think Lord of the Rings is fantastic story telling should really read this.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So tempted to watch this preview. Desperately trying to hold out from watching anything until the whole show premieres.

Gonna have to order HBO. Will be worth it though.

FYI: last week on his blog, George had an update about the calendar artwork I did for the 2012 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar. Looks like it's definitely slated to release in time for San Diego Comic Con.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/205980.html

When Bantam hired me to do the calendar, I was hired to illustrate my vision of the characters in the books, and not the show or its actors. I'll be curious to see how the two compare/contrast.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So tempted to watch this preview. Desperately trying to hold out from watching anything until the whole show premieres.

Gonna have to order HBO. Will be worth it though.

FYI: last week on his blog, George had an update about the calendar artwork I did for the 2012 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar. Looks like it's definitely slated to release in time for San Diego Comic Con.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/205980.html

When Bantam hired me to do the calendar, I was hired to illustrate my vision of the characters in the books, and not the show or its actors. I'll be curious to see how the two compare/contrast.
    Didnt you also do art work for David Gemmell for the Druss novels? I remember someone on Spurstalk claiming that one time. Gemmell is still one of my favorite authors... I have probably read the Drenai series a dozen times at least... Druss is one of my favorite characters of all time.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For those that havnt had the pleasure of reading the books, this might give you a small idea of what a treat your in for...... Sure, its fantasy and alot of people balk at that, but its extremely well written. Trust me, if the show is anything like the books (and from the preview, it looks to follow the books almost word for word) you dont want to forsake this show out of hand.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    phyzik: Yup, I definitely did some Gemmell covers back in the day (about 8 or 9 years ago). Those tend to be more photography-centric illustrations, and I'm almost embarrassed by those now. Didn't have as much confidence in my draftsmanship and painting skills back then. Was still developing. Still am, but I think my stuff is better now.

Met Gemmell once and he was very gracious. Said he loved the cover for LEGEND. Made me feel good.

Very much agree with you and Cry about how great the GRRM / ASOIAF books are. My wife is NOT an epic fantasy reader. She's much more of a thriller/suspense reader. The words 'epic fantasy' have always been a turnoff for her. But when I took on the calendar gig, I convinced her to read A GAME OF THRONES and she devoured it, as well as the rest of the series. She loved the whole series. I think they're amongst the best books I've ever read, bar none.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers

Yeah, it's been over a month since he announced it would be available on July 12 but there's been no official "yes, it's really finished" update. Takes a while to print that many books and get them shipped out to bookstores. Gone from 129 days remaining to 98 ...

Maybe we can get Kori to set us up a vBookie on whether or not it'll be out on time!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    so is this more like harry potter or twilight
    neither. why do you care, whatever anyone says you're just going to scoff it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so is this more like harry potter or twilight
    It's going to be like "Rome" with magic...

Actually... this season isn't going to have too much magic I wouldn't think.

Cuban I heard a Rumor that one of my friend's friends was reading the manuscript for ADWD like 3 weeks ago... but you know how those things go.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's going to be like "Rome" with magic...

Actually... this season isn't going to have too much magic I wouldn't think.

Cuban I heard a Rumor that one of my friend's friends was reading the manuscript for ADWD like 3 weeks ago... but you know how those things go.
    Even in the book, there isnt much magic.....

It's not like wizards and flinging spells around.

There are Dragons (well, not until later), people who can dream cryptic that comes true but not as expected, and some creatures called White Walkers that melt when killed by Obsidian.

Other than that, your not going to see conjured fireballs and lightning bolts and like that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Even in the book, there isnt much magic.....

It's not like wizards and flinging spells around.

There are Dragons (well, not until later), people who can dream cryptic that comes true but not as expected, and some creatures called White Walkers that melt when killed by Obsidian.

Other than that, your not going to see conjured fireballs and lightning bolts and like that.
    Uhh...

Well... depends on what you define Magic as...

Melisandre, Thoros of Myr and Berric Dondarion, Wights, dire wolves, Bran, faceless men, Valyrian Steel etc etc etc... that's without all the stuff that is happening outside Westeros.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My brother was telling me about this a month ago. He said the book is epic, hopefully the show is too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is anyone reading/read up to the last book of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan?

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Uhh...

Well... depends on what you define Magic as...

Melisandre, Thoros of Myr and Berric Dondarion, Wights, dire wolves, Bran, faceless men, Valyrian Steel etc etc etc... that's without all the stuff that is happening outside Westeros.
    your right, I just wanted to clarify and expand on your use of the word magic. People who dont know the books see the word Magic and the first thing that comes to mind is Merlin flinging fireballs and , and thats certainly not the case here. Thats all I was try to say.

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Who's your favorite characters?

Mine:

1) Tyrion Lannister - by far

2) Jon Snow
    3) Arya Stark
    4) Brandon Stark
    5) Daenerys Targaryen
    6) Sandor Clegane

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I probably like Jon, Daenerys, Bran and Tyrion about the same.

Jaime is now a close 2nd to those.

Roll my eyes every time a Sansa or Davos chapter show up

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I probably like Jon, Daenerys, Bran and Tyrion about the same.

Jaime is now a close 2nd to those.

Roll my eyes every time a Sansa or Davos chapter show up
    Jaime's a prick but he's interesting at least. I'd put him at number 7 on my list.

I agree with you about Sansa and Davos..... I also dont like Catelyn or Cersei.

Stannis is a fraud and I really hate the Red Lady.... I really Wanted Davos to take her out to redeem his character.

enough though, I dont want to give away too much of the story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Jaime's a prick but he's interesting at least. I'd put him at number 7 on my list.

I agree with you about Sansa and Davos..... I also dont like Catelyn or Cersei.

Stannis is a fraud and I really hate the Red Lady.... I really Wanted Davos to take her out to redeem his character.

enough though, I dont want to give away too much of the story.
    Remember it is Martin and people can change and not be what they seem... You have a book and a half left :p

bandwagon hater
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Remember it is Martin and people can change and not be what they seem... You have a book and a half left :p
    True, I've read about 46 pages into book 3 since I posted this and Jaime is starting to look like a stand up guy and may be turning a page as it where concerning Brienne.

I dont want to give the story away too much to people who havnt read the book but I just reached the point where they send off Catelyn's father in a boat.

Im 41% thru book 3 right now according to my Kindle. Will probably finish it in the next 2 days or so.

Thread Information