Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn this guy has a sweet jumper. Not afraid of the turnaround either. Would he have been a top 10 pick if it wasn't for the injury?
    Thanks mel...Never was even close to top 10 player, but at this point if he can give 10-15 minutes of bench play at sf position then I am all for him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs sign another unathletic wing player. I applaud the Spurs for taking a flyer on him, but he hardly possesses the necessary skill set (other than shooting stroke) that they need from this position. If the kid was unathletic before his injiury, how quick and versatile could he possibly be now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. He didn't see a drop after his injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid can definitely score. I don't care that he's not in the LeBron mold as far as athleticism. He can defend and rebound. On offense, he can shoot, draw contact and score in the paint, and he can post up and hit a turnaround J. He can score.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid can definitely score. I don't care that he's not in the LeBron mold as far as athleticism. He can defend and rebound. On offense, he can shoot, draw contact and score in the paint, and he can post up and hit a turnaround J. He can score.
    Have you seen him do these things since his injury? just wondering

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That DraftExpress chart is interesting. Why do people think he was a lock for first round if he was projected to be mid second round well before his injury? Was he hurt during his junior year at West Virginia?

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the way everyone describes him. seems like he can be just like jared dudley. not the most athletic guy on the floor, can shoot, can rebound, & is a great defender. once again great steal from the spurs FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen wasn't considered overly athletic either. Not saying Butlers Bowen buy any means, but Butlers got a chance to stick in this league because of his defensive prowess.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs could sign Micky Mouse and this place would get excited calling it a great pickup. There is more chance he never makes the team than playing a significant role on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Da'Sean Butler is on the team as far as I know. Depending on what happens w/ the CBA will determine if he's kept into next year.

The Spurs knew, of course, that it might be a year or so before he would be available. I think it was a risky move but didn't cost them much and they can certainly part ways if things don't work out. Much like getting a Shawn Marion type for less $ than Chris Quinn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' Butler on coming back from his knee injury

http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-art...ee-injury.html

With an outstanding college career at WVU, and making it to the 2010 NCAA Final Four, Da'Sean Butler suffered a crushing knee injury against Duke in the Final Four setting back his NBA career.

Though drafted by the Miami Heat, he was soon released and was signed by the San Antonio Spurs last season where he was assigned to the Spurs' D-League affiliate Austin Toros for continuous rehab.

Now, according to Butler, he is ready to get back on the court and is brimming with confidence:

"Anybody that has gone through an injury like this will tell you that confidence is the main thing," Butler said. "You can work out and get all the strength built back up, but if you don't have confidence, the rest of it really doesn't matter."

"Honestly, I'm fine now. I'm good to go," Butler added. "I'm working out every day and shooting. I'm just playing as much as I can to get back into shape. I'm lifting a lot to keep the strength up in my leg."

Indeed confidence and hard work is key for Butler's road back to getting on the court, and it's that hard work which is making forget about his injury and and becoming mentally focused on what he is doing on the court:

"I'm starting to catch myself beginning to do the things I used to do. Like, if we're playing five-on-five, I'm not even thinking about my knee anymore. I just go out and play. That's cool, because I was so worried about my knee for the longest time. Now I don't even worry about it that much."

"I'll know I'll be as nervous as before my first game back. That may be the most nervous I'll ever be before a basketball game."

Coming back from the terrible injury he suffered is not an easy road. It has been countless hours in the gym, undergoing surgery and having the mental and physical strength to see it through.

"I realize I'm a little more tougher than I thought I was," Butler said. "I've learned a lot about myself in general. I've also learned I have a great support staff around me. WVU and the fans have always supported me. I have my family and friends who have stuck with me through this. They kept me grounded and kept me relaxed, which helped a lot."

Here's hoping there is no NBA lockout next season and Butler will finally get a chance to see all his hard work pay off as he steps onto the court for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope this kid makes it. From all accounts, he's worked very hard to get back.

I also hope to God that the Spurs will have a new, more effective starting SF next season - whoever it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier in the day I found a vid posted on twitter of James Anderson, Butler, and Danny Green running up that elevated hill the Spurs have. I can't find the link to the video but in it, Butler's knee/leg had a brace on it, but he ran up the hill just fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    god bless you Bulter. im very proud of all that you have done to get back to where your at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs could sign Micky Mouse and this place would get excited calling it a great pickup. There is more chance he never makes the team than playing a significant role on the team.
    lol my thoughts exactly I remember when everybody ed when we signed Roger Mason Jr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol my thoughts exactly I remember when everybody ed when we signed Roger Mason Jr.
    I don't remember that. Revisionist history much?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think about Malik Hairston?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I file this one under interesting move.
    I keep seeing people post that he was a potential lottery pick before the injury,
    but haven't seen much confirmation. Given that the success rate for mid first rounders is far from a 100%, the guy is coming off a serious injury and many reports say his level athleticism is average- I'm not overly optimistic.
    However it's not costing a huge amount.
    What does make me excited is that the Spurs are looking into all options (within their budget)
    Looking at Butler, Anderson Green, maybe Michael G- if they hit 2 out of 4 great. The more " prospects" the better chance you get one good player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier in the day I found a vid posted on twitter of James Anderson, Butler, and Danny Green running up that elevated hill the Spurs have. I can't find the link to the video but in it, Butler's knee/leg had a brace on it, but he ran up the hill just fine.
    http://yfrog.com/n2x57hz

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who is the fourt man ?

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    I'd love to see this kid make the club. I'm tired of watching teams post up Manu and Hill with impunity. If he's healthy whenever training camp is, he's got a shot with that NBA ready build and his at ude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    De'Sean Butler was a BEAST at WVU. Yeah, he blew out his knee - how many football players do the same and come back. The guy isn't dead...

I actually think a 100% Butler is better at SG than a 100% Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    De'Sean Butler was a BEAST at WVU. Yeah, he blew out his knee - how many football players do the same and come back. The guy isn't dead...

I actually think a 100% Butler is better at SG than a 100% Anderson.
    , if you say so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's his pre-draft link (supposed lottery pick prior to injury).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...n-Butler-1184/

Plus you can youtube him...
    Last edited by Tyrone Jenkins; 06-19-2011 at 10:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was a stud @ WV. If Chad Forcier can help Da'Sean enough to get his confidence all the way back, he should be giving Anderson a run for his money.

Thread Information