Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i actually think that Nikola Mirotic is the one in the Keith Van Horn mold(maybe Danny Ferry at worst scenario), but Davis Bertans looks like a Mike Dunleavy type player!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i actually think that Nikola Mirotic is the one in the Keith Van Horn mold(maybe Danny Ferry at worst scenario), but Davis Bertans looks like a Mike Dunleavy type player!
    yeah I can see that comparison more from the very very very little I've seen of him

I think the lankiness, height, and knee high socks are what brought the original and my subsequent reiteration of the KVH comparison (although mine was more in reference to his body type)

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting, thought for sure he was withdrawing...Looks like its between Bertans and Mirotic for the 29th pick in the draft.
    Pretty much. As I said in the Mirotic thread, it doesn't look like the Spurs have any plans to draft someone they have to pay next season. I'd almost bet the house on the pick being a stash player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benefactor - what up w/ the big ass BMW pic in every post? I'm not a hater, but can you make it smaller so I don't have to scroll my window over half way just to read what you wrote....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benefactor - what up w/ the big ass BMW pic in every post? I'm not a hater, but can you make it smaller so I don't have to scroll my window over half way just to read what you wrote....

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Took it out...thanks for letting me know. Not even sure why it was there. I think the link used to be for a gif I had there for Gary Neal. ...I never see my sig or any sig for that matter so I can never remember what I have in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somebody else was compared to KVH.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../si/power.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I believe this kid will be the Spurs primary target. Despite all his rants about how the team needs to get better defensively, Pop has clealry fallen in love with the deep-ball shooters - whether they can defend or not. Despite his offensive prowess, that is the thing that scares me about Betrans. From the workout footage, he does seem to be quicker that expected, but I don't know if there is any evidence that he can be a capable NBA defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I believe this kid will be the Spurs primary target. Despite all his rants about how the team needs to get better defensively, Pop has clealry fallen in love with the deep-ball shooters - whether they can defend or not. Despite his offensive prowess, that is the thing that scares me about Betrans. From the workout footage, he does seem to be quicker that expected, but I don't know if there is any evidence that he can be a capable NBA defender.
    his youtube highlights video does show couple blocks and steals

Banned
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Bertans has the potential to be a plus defender, he won't ever change the game on that sides of the ball but he has the length, just enough quickness, footwork, and size.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seeing how RC already said that the plan to rebuild is thru trade and not the draft or FA. draft and stash is the best way to go. who would be a good realistic draft and stash with our 2nd round pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seeing how RC already said that the plan to rebuild is thru trade and not the draft or FA. draft and stash is the best way to go. who would be a good realistic draft and stash with our 2nd round pick?
    RC's intentions sound good, but one never knows who may fall to them in the 1st round. What if Tyler Honeycutt is there? How about Chris Singleton? Or even Nikola Vucevic?

Besides, if this team is hot on Bertans, with his recent showing at the workout sessions, I highly doubt he'll be around at the bottom of the 2nd round. If they want him badly enough, and he's available at #29, they'd better jump on him.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 06-15-2011 at 04:21 PM.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RC's intentions sound good, but one never knows who may fall to them in the 1st round. What if Tyler Honeycutt is there? How about Chris Singleton? Or even Nikola Vucevic?

Besides, if this team is hot on Bertans, with his recent showing at the workout sessions, I highly doubt he'll be around at the bottom of the 2nd round. If they want him badly enough, and he's available at #29, they'd better jump on him.
    of course there are exeptions. if a player like singelton or any other player that can contribute and get into the rotation right away is available yes take them but if it goes down like almost every mock draft predicts then draft and stash is the best way to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like defense really is his biggest weakness

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...davis-bertans/

Just before taking off for the Adidas Eurocamp, SLAMonline had a chance to chop it up with 6-10 Latvian small forward Davis Bertans. Very much a true small forward, he was a 2-guard his entire career and hit an incredible late growth spurt over the last two years, a la Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis. Known for his sweet shooting stroke from beyond the arc, Bertans has no problem blowing past you to the rim for a dunk if he catches you slipping closing out on him out of control. Defense is certainly his biggest weakness at this point, as it is for most 18 year-olds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like defense really is his biggest weakness

Just before taking off for the Adidas Eurocamp, SLAMonline had a chance to chop it up with 6-10 Latvian small forward Davis Bertans. Very much a true small forward, he was a 2-guard his entire career and hit an incredible late growth spurt over the last two years, a la Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis. Known for his sweet shooting stroke from beyond the arc, Bertans has no problem blowing past you to the rim for a dunk if he catches you slipping closing out on him out of control. Defense is certainly his biggest weakness at this point, as it is for most 18 year-olds.
    Age + euro+ athletecism = below average NBA defender. I still like his game and hope he is at the top of the spurs draft board..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Age + euro+ athletecism = below average NBA defender. I still like his game and hope he is at the top of the spurs draft board..
    To his credit, at least he's aware of it and willing to work at it.

SLAM: What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you’ll be able to step in and hold your own on the defensive end?

DB: About defense, of course it’s a bit of a problem for me to move my long legs fast, but i’m working on that. Everything can be fixed with hard work, so everyday i have to work even harder and i can become a good defensive player. And my height is definately a bonus on defense because i don’t have to got too close to offensive player and he still can’t shoot and open shot over my hands. Critics actually help. I want to prove that they are wrong.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To his credit, at least he's aware of it and willing to work at it.

SLAM: What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you’ll be able to step in and hold your own on the defensive end?

DB: About defense, of course it’s a bit of a problem for me to move my long legs fast, but i’m working on that. Everything can be fixed with hard work, so everyday i have to work even harder and i can become a good defensive player. And my height is definately a bonus on defense because i don’t have to got too close to offensive player and he still can’t shoot and open shot over my hands. Critics actually help. I want to prove that they are wrong.
    Heh, sounds like he takes criticism the way it is supposed to be taken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh, sounds like he takes criticism the way it is supposed to be taken.
    Unlike a certain player who "took his talents to South Beach"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Projection San Antonio Spurs
    (No. 29 pick)
    Positives

Excellent shooter with deep range
    Quick release on his jumper
    Can create his shot off the dribble
    Great size for his position
    Good passer
    Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength
    Poor shot selection at times.

Notes

Bertans has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft
    Plays for Union Olimpija Ljubljana. Averaged 4.1 ppg in 9.8 mpg while shooting 57 percent from three during the 2010-11 season.

ESPN

Don't believe the hype... ChuckD's Avatar
    My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    Projection San Antonio Spurs
    (No. 29 pick)
    Positives

Excellent shooter with deep range
    Quick release on his jumper
    Can create his shot off the dribble
    Great size for his position
    Good passer
    Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength
    Poor shot selection at times.

Notes

Bertans has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft
    Plays for Union Olimpija Ljubljana. Averaged 4.1 ppg in 9.8 mpg while shooting 57 percent from three during the 2010-11 season.

ESPN
    DX had him as our pick for a while, but now has Dallas nabbing him several spots earlier. He's one of those players that's just hard to nail down because he is SO inexperienced.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    ESPN's Ford says the Spurs have made him a promise. Doesn't mean he'll last to 29, but apparently if he does, we'll pick him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN's Ford says the Spurs have made him a promise. Doesn't mean he'll last to 29, but apparently if he does, we'll pick him.
    link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have never publicly made a promise to anyone, so this would have to be speculative. Not saying they don't have one, but it's certainly not official.

That said, Bertans DOES seem like a Spurs pick.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    It was in Zach Lowe's Point Forward column earlier (apparently edited), but it just said that Chad Ford said it. Like 90% of what's out there now, it's a rumor. Take it or leave it.

My Team
    New York Knicks
    Post Count
    You'd have to be an idiot to PUBLICLY promise a player and go on the record. That would be like playing poker with your hand laid down on the table. This usually leaks from either family or agents.

Thread Information