Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a sucker for new technology and love reading about it so here's some info on Nintendo's new console.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1163325p1.html

Project Cafe: The Tech Behind Nintendo's Next Console

More details of Nintendo's forthcoming console, codenamed Project Cafe aka Wii 2, have been revealed to IGN, including the system's estimated pricing, release, console design, processing architecture, and name.

According to sources with knowledge of the project,Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

Since the manufacturing is taking place in Taiwan, the earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last month will not impact the console hardware as previously expected. Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they release a new console? Isn't the Wii still selling well? It came out less than 5 years ago... another console now makes no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they release a new console? Isn't the Wii still selling well? It came out less than 5 years ago... another console now makes no sense.
    According to the article the new console might not be released until 2012 but consoles typically last just 5-7 years anyway. The Will will be five years old by the end of Nov. The GameCube was only around for 5 or 6, N64 around the same amount of years as well.

The Wii was dated even when it was released and Nintendo undoubtedly has made a ton of $$$ from the hardware alone unlike their compe ors. They skimped out on features like 1080p support.

Its a step in the right direction to start including features like that. Also intriguing that the future controllers will feature touchscreens. Nintendo's always trying to stay a few steps ahead of their compe ors when it comes to gameplay ideas, for better (Wii, DS) or for worse (Virtual Boy, Nintendo 3DS launch).
    Last edited by Cane; 04-23-2011 at 05:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo i wish they went back to the days of the super nintendo...

cant they build something that looks nice in ur home theatre setup with the other hifi equipment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game streaming is especially with nintendo consoles if you buy a game on the wii or DS and you lose either or it breaks and it cant be repaired you lose all of the you bought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the article the new console might not be released until 2012 but consoles typically last just 5-7 years anyway. The Will will be five years old by the end of Nov. The GameCube was only around for 5 or 6, N64 around the same amount of years as well.

The Wii was dated even when it was released and Nintendo undoubtedly has made a ton of $$$ from the hardware alone unlike their compe ors. They skimped out on features like 1080p support.

Its a step in the right direction to start including features like that. Also intriguing that the future controllers will feature touchscreens. Nintendo's always trying to stay a few steps ahead of their compe ors when it comes to gameplay ideas, for better (Wii, DS) or for worse (Virtual Boy, Nintendo 3DS launch).
    Yeah but the Xbox 720 and the Ps4 are still likely 2-3 years away right now, at least. Nintendo might have skimped on a lot but they certainly kicked ass in sales, which is the driving force behind releasing a console to begin with.

It will be interesting to see if the new N console is significantly more powerful than the Ps3.

Banned
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I might check this out if they are going back to a ing normal controller like they said.

i wanna play mario without ing my wrists up

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Until they get some good third party support and a good online network I think I'm passing on this one. Mario and Zelda is not enough alone to buy a new system.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    BTW Cane, I'm not sure if you know this but numbers wise the 3DS had the best launch of any hand held.. so I'm not quite sure why you put that with the Virtual Boy. Yeah there wasn't much game support but the system sold at record levels.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    if they are going back to a ing normal controller like they said.
    For some reason, I don't get " ing normal controller" from "integrated touchscreens."

I still like my Wii and am glad I have it, but Nintendo has to convince me they're about more than new gimmicks before I'll go nuts over another of their consoles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but the Xbox 720 and the Ps4 are still likely 2-3 years away right now, at least. Nintendo might have skimped on a lot but they certainly kicked ass in sales, which is the driving force behind releasing a console to begin with.

It will be interesting to see if the new N console is significantly more powerful than the Ps3.
    Nintendo might be jumping the gun but imo part of their business plan is using mostly current-generation hardware to save costs and beat their compe ion to the shelf. If they wait for the next-generation Xbox and Playstation they'll probably get outclassed in the hardware and overall features/pricing department. Very Dreamcast-esque imo and to come to think of it that too had an "innovative" feature for the controller...that bulky visual memory card.

Plus many Wii owners have had their console for a few years now and might be ready for a new and different Mario/Zelda/Nintendo gaming experience.

BTW Cane, I'm not sure if you know this but numbers wise the 3DS had the best launch of any hand held.. so I'm not quite sure why you put that with the Virtual Boy. Yeah there wasn't much game support but the system sold at record levels.
    True that but imo as a gameplay idea it hasn't really been utilized well and overall the 3DS has gotten average-ish reviews which falls short of the Nintendo standard (at least for its launch anyway).
    Last edited by Cane; 04-24-2011 at 01:59 AM.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until they get some good third party support and a good online network I think I'm passing on this one. Mario and Zelda is not enough alone to buy a new system.
    You want to pay for an online network for your gaming console when you already pay outrageous prices for an internet connection?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with a normal controller like the PS3/360 have? I know Nintendo are all about gimmicks nowdays but jesus you've got the DS for touchscreens.

Banned
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    For some reason, I don't get " ing normal controller" from "integrated touchscreens."

I still like my Wii and am glad I have it, but Nintendo has to convince me they're about more than new gimmicks before I'll go nuts over another of their consoles.
    when i say ing normal controller i mean a controller where I don't have to point at the screen to play a platformer, thus ing my wrists up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's wrong with a normal controller like the PS3/360 have? I know Nintendo are all about gimmicks nowdays but jesus you've got the DS for touchscreens.
    I actually somewhat agree with Nintendo here. There hasn't been a fundamental difference in controllers for consoles since 1987 when the NES Advantage was released. The controller hasn't been really improved upon other than incrementally since those days. Now that systems are so powerful, I think it's time for a different way to interact with the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Looks pretty cool to me

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You want to pay for an online network for your gaming console when you already pay outrageous prices for an internet connection?
    lol I don't want to pay anything.. just think there is a better rout to go than the friend code way.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Looks pretty cool to me
    So, then, you're paying console prices to potentially have a gameplay experience that mirrors a handheld? Going to take more than that to convince me.

The fact that they're touchscreens is still troubling, though. The last ing thing I want to do when gaming, ever, is sit on my couch and whip out a stylus. Ever.

I guess I'm just not convinced that gaming tech needs to change all that much beyond graphical capabilities (and, frankly, things are about as realistic there as I ever want or need them to be). Motion control remains an amusing little diversion for specific casual applications, but holding a controller and pushing its buttons was fun when I had a Sega Genesis, and it's just as fun now that I have a PS3. I'd much rather all this time and energy be directed at creating fun games, rather than the mul ude of emo, war sim FPSs that throw five hours of crappy story at you before leaving you alone to deal with a multiplayer experience rendered insufferable almost immediately due to the tastic-ness of all the people with whom you are now required to share your gaming experience. Seriously, I'd stick with the Dualshock 3 forever and always, and be happy about it, if I was ensured more decent platformers and games with an emphasis on single player campaigns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Zero Punctuation review of motion control summed it up perfectly, games are more immersive the less movement the actual person has to do, that's why the basic 360/Dualshock 3 controllers are the best.

Also at that design. So you s out a ton of cash on a brand new 60" TV and you get to play the game on a screen smaller than a Game Boy Advance screen.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They announced a profit decline of 66% in 2010, I would say that's as good a reason as any to get a new console out!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Zero Punctuation review of motion control summed it up perfectly, games are more immersive the less movement the actual person has to do, that's why the basic 360/Dualshock 3 controllers are the best.

Also at that design. So you s out a ton of cash on a brand new 60" TV and you get to play the game on a screen smaller than a Game Boy Advance screen.
    I think that this is only one application of such a screen. obviously you won't be looking at your "quarter" of the screen when you are playing by yourself at home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually somewhat agree with Nintendo here. There hasn't been a fundamental difference in controllers for consoles since 1987 when the NES Advantage was released. The controller hasn't been really improved upon other than incrementally since those days. Now that systems are so powerful, I think it's time for a different way to interact with the media.
    That's all fine as long as it isn't a complete replacement of the old controller and the games they support. Now I don't even own a Wii, nor do I plan on getting this new N console, so I guess it isn't a big deal. But when I play a game, I'm likely going to play it for long stretches at a time and want to take in and enjoy the storyline, etc. Video games that require me to jump around and swing my arms aren't what I'm looking for. I don't buy "party" games.

Having a separate screen on the controller is not a bad idea though, nor is it a new one.

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can play on the screen, but I think they'd probably lean more towards using the controller screen as an extension of the game. You can bring up menus, change options and make in game adjustments without having to pause the game and hinder whoever else you're playing with. That way you still see the game on your 60" tv.

At least that's what I gather from the blogs I've seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm excited tbh. Nintendo's addressing some of the weak that the Wii had by including features such as 1080p support. The Steam also has more of a traditional controller than the Wiimote. That controller and the new console hardware will likely allow for cheaper and easier ports and hopefully quality third party support. First party support will have graphics that should propel Nintendo licenses into modern graphics.

Having a 6" touchscreen sounds bad ass as well as long as the price is right. The obvious stuff like not having to reveal sports plays or press pause to access inventories, maps, etc. on the big screen could be nifty. I'm sure there's a lot of party mini-game potential in that as well.

Over/under on the next Xbox and PS controllers having touchscreens after the E3 reveal?
    Last edited by Cane; 04-25-2011 at 03:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do posters on here want a touchscreen? It just seems a gimmick that will be shoe horned into les.

Zelda in 1080p will be ing epic though.

Thread Information