Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could have quickly deleted the post after Neal's three, but I thought it would be disingenuous. I wasn't about to change my mind because of a fortuitous bounce.

timvp, you missed the point. It's not that they'd have lost, it's how they'd have lost. What's worse, it's that it wouldn't have been the least bit surprising had they lost they way they were about to before that fortuitous bounce.

This team has serious issues executing down the stretch in hostile environments and they have for a few years now. The same players panic and fold and the front office won't do a damn thing about it, other than hope it won't continue to happen or hope the ones who don't fold in these environments can magically eke out some victory. Unfortunately, when they do, it's the type that can't be duplicated with any degree of regularity. Think about it. When they've won in these environments, it's usually some minor miracle that leads to it. It's never something that inspires confidence for the long haul.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losses happen. They had won 9 in a row, right? That has to count for something. Streaks will eventually end. The last two victories have been impressive because they've been able to win even when they weren't playing that well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same players panic and fold and the front office won't do a damn thing about it
    Name names. Is this just a Bonner is a choker thread in disguise?

What players are available that would actually be able to step in and help win close games on the road?

IMO, "gutless worms" isn't a description I'd use for this team this season. They have been without arguably their best player yet have used supreme chemistry and will to somehow move all the way up into second place in the Western Conference. They are far from being a championship favorite but it's not because they are "gutless".

Calling a team led by Tim Duncan and Tony Parker "gutless" is a horrible take, tbh. They've been the opposite of that this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Name names. Is this just a Bonner is a choker thread in disguise?

What players are available that would actually be able to step in and help win close games on the road?

IMO, "gutless worms" isn't a description I'd use for this team this season. They have been without arguably their best player yet have used supreme chemistry and will to somehow move all the way up into second place in the Western Conference. They are far from being a championship favorite but it's not because they are "gutless".

Calling a team led by Tim Duncan and Tony Parker "gutless" is a horrible take, tbh. They've been the opposite of that this season.
    Actually, it was mainly directed at Jefferson, followed by Blair. As I've said before, Bonner actually doesn't bother me as much as they do.

Jefferson is self explanatory. Blair, I think he's just flat out in decline already, but I don't care. I'm sick and tired of watching a soon to be 36 year old, with tons of mileage and two bad knees, as the lone consistent rebounder on this team.

Who are you, ChumpDumpster? I don't know, that's the front office's job. But it's obvious this team is missing a big who can help do that and it's obvious that Jefferson shouldn't play in these games. Yes, it would be ridiculous to regularly start him, then bench him entirely against elite teams on the road, but that's not what I'm suggesting. What I'm suggesting is, when (if?) Ginobili is healthy, removing Jefferson from the rotation altogether. He has no business taking a rotation spot away from one of Leonard, Neal or Green. They're all more dynamic, mentally tougher players.

As usual, you're misconstruing my words. I didn't say they were all gutless. I'd never call the big three that. But when it comes to the playoffs, having one of those types in the rotation is probably too many, particularly when your margin for error is slim. They need to rectify this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are you, ChumpDumpster? I don't know, that's the front office's job.
    It's easy to say the Spurs need a big. But they don't have any enticing assets to get a quality one in the trade market. No one is going to trade for RJ. Blair isn't an asset -- he would fail a physical and he's obviously in decline. Players like Green and Leonard have more value to the Spurs than outside teams. Splitter has value but it'd make little sense to trade him.

Their main hope is that some veteran gets waived after the trade deadline and they are able to entice him with a decent contract. Other than that, the Spurs will get outbid for any decent big on the trade market.

What I'm suggesting is, when (if?) Ginobili is healthy, removing Jefferson from the rotation altogether. He has no business taking a rotation spot away from one of Leonard, Neal or Green. They're all more dynamic, mentally tougher players.
    This could happen. We'll see once Ginobili is at 100%.

As usual, you're misconstruing my words. I didn't say they were all gutless. I'd never call the big three that. But when it comes to the playoffs, having one of those types in the rotation is probably too many, particularly when your margin for error is slim. They need to rectify this.
    Obviously you'd want Bowens and Horrys surrounding the Big 3 but those days are gone. You can blame the FO for that. But calling the Spurs "gutless worms" is just a horrible take. At the end of the day, this team is mostly basically the Big 3 and fillers. You can't bash the team as a whole and it not hit the Big 3.

It's fair to call the Spurs too old, not good enough anymore, poorly designed, etc. ... but not gutless. You're too good of a poster to keep bumping this lame thread, tbh.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess what pissed the thread starter is the lack of execution in the clutch time.
    Secret Chris Paul fan huh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is a joke at the moment.

I'm not a big Bonner fan but the guy came up big in a game we ended up needing him. Not so much with his 3 point shooting as with the job he did on Defense. He wasn't stellar, but he certainly didn't hurt us out there.

Yeah, we got killed on the boards by the clips, but so has everyone else as of late.

Jefferson might be a pr!ck, but he's long been a pr!ck.

As for Blair, the guys was simply outmatched, you can't drag on his effort- he came out trying. How could you not expect Griffin to be snagging boards and catching lobs over a 6'7" PF whose game does not revolve around athleticism.

Give me a break.

The Spurs were riding the NBA's longest winning streak at the time this thread got bumped. And if they lost the game against LAC, it would have been do to a huge fluke, the fluke being Gary Neal fumbling the ball at the 3 point line. That's as fluky as a Terry Porter fumble. This is the same Neal that took and hit huge shots for us last year. Not exactly the gutless worm described in the OP's post.

It took one fluky play to out-do another.

To me, it seemed OP was just sitting on this thread waiting to bring it up again. He wanted to cry "I told you so" to all of us, but guess the basketball gods found a reason to throw egg on his face.

These young guys (mainly Green) have been gutsy for us, not gutless. And the only worm on the team (at the moment) is Richard Jefferson. Every teams gotta have one I guess. It's too bad we can't flip him for another worm like Biedrins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's easy to say the Spurs need a big. But they don't have any enticing assets to get a quality one in the trade market. No one is going to trade for RJ. Blair isn't an asset -- he would fail a physical and he's obviously in decline. Players like Green and Leonard have more value to the Spurs than outside teams. Splitter has value but it'd make little sense to trade him.

Their main hope is that some veteran gets waived after the trade deadline and they are able to entice him with a decent contract. Other than that, the Spurs will get outbid for any decent big on the trade market.
    No, they don't have enticing enough assets to get a surefire starter (unless they want to take back a bad contract). But I don't buy that they don't have enough assets to get a better fit. They just value chemistry/corporate knowledge -- and probably their 1st round pick and upcoming cap space -- too much to make what may appear to not be much of an upgrade.

But even in the event you're right, that's nobody's fault but their own. They had McDyess' contract in the off season to play with and there were some intriguing bigs that could have been had at very affordable prices. None were surefire starters, but I'd much rather have a guy like, say Clark or Wright right now than no one or some D-Leaguer. They dropped the ball, no need to make excuses for them. There's enough people here that do that already.

This could happen. We'll see once Ginobili is at 100%.
    Only if their backs are up against the wall in the playoffs and they're desperate. Like last year, when they finally, mercifully inserted Splitter into the rotation.

Obviously you'd want Bowens and Horrys surrounding the Big 3 but those days are gone. You can blame the FO for that. But calling the Spurs "gutless worms" is just a horrible take. At the end of the day, this team is mostly basically the Big 3 and fillers. You can't bash the team as a whole and it not hit the Big 3.

It's fair to call the Spurs too old, not good enough anymore, poorly designed, etc. ... but not gutless. You're too good of a poster to keep bumping this lame thread, tbh.
    I didn't say Bowens or Horrys. I'm talking about Greens and Neals. Just someone that doesn't go fetal in hostile environments and isn't afraid of the moment.

I can bash whatever segment of the team I choose, even if it doesn't get the timvp stamp of approval. If you've seen a number of my posts -- and I know you have -- you'd know that I rarely bash the big three for anything. If anything, I'm probably too lenient with them.

But I'm past sick and tired of the sloppy, panic play in crunch time on the road against elite teams. This is a big part of the reason why those teams clearly don't respect them, because even when they lose, they often feel like the Spurs just got lucky. They need to put their foot on these teams throats when they've got them down and send a message.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can bash whatever segment of the team I choose, even if it doesn't get the timvp stamp of approval. If you've seen a number of my posts -- and I know you have -- you'd know that I rarely bash the big three for anything. If anything, I'm probably too lenient with them.
    Gutless worm.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so cute when you play the "I'm standing up to Spurstalk's elite" card. You used to do it all the time when you first started posting here. I remember when you used to rant about people disrespecting you because of your post count.

Good times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread is a joke at the moment.

I'm not a big bonner fan but the guy came up big in a game we ended up needing him. Not so much with his 3 point shooting as with the job he did on defense. He wasn't stellar, but he certainly didn't hurt us out there.

Yeah, we got killed on the boards by the clips, but so has everyone else as of late.

Jefferson might be a pr!ck, but he's long been a pr!ck.

As for blair, the guys was simply outmatched, you can't drag on his effort- he came out trying. How could you not expect griffin to be snagging boards and catching lobs over a 6'7" pf whose game does not revolve around athleticism.

Give me a break.

The spurs were riding the nba's longest winning streak at the time this thread got bumped. And if they lost the game against lac, it would have been do to a huge fluke, the fluke being gary neal fumbling the ball at the 3 point line. That's as fluky as a terry porter fumble. This is the same neal that took and hit huge shots for us last year. Not exactly the gutless worm described in the op's post.

It took one fluky play to out-do another.

To me, it seemed op was just sitting on this thread waiting to bring it up again. He wanted to cry "i told you so" to all of us, but guess the basketball gods found a reason to throw egg on his face.

These young guys (mainly green) have been gutsy for us, not gutless. And the only worm on the team (at the moment) is richard jefferson. Every teams gotta have one i guess. It's too bad we can't flip him for another worm like biedrins.
    +1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so cute when you play the "I'm standing up to Spurstalk's elite" card. You used to do it all the time when you first started posting here. I remember when you used to rant about people disrespecting you because of your post count.

Good times.
    I don't play any card, I just tell it like it is and I'm not going to apologize for not being an ass kisser, like yourself and many others on this board.

People on this board focus more on post count than any board I've ever seen. Even though the moment I graced this board with my presence I was already on the short list of most knowledgeable posters, very few were willing to admit that. It was abundantly clear why.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Love it. Keep 'em coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, they don't have enticing enough assets to get a surefire starter (unless they want to take back a bad contract). But I don't buy that they don't have enough assets to get a better fit. They just value chemistry/corporate knowledge -- and probably their 1st round pick and upcoming cap space -- too much to make what may appear to not be much of an upgrade.

But even in the event you're right, that's nobody's fault but their own. They had McDyess' contract in the off season to play with and there were some intriguing bigs that could have been had at very affordable prices. None were surefire starters, but I'd much rather have a guy like, say Clark or Wright right now than no one or some D-Leaguer. They dropped the ball, no need to make excuses for them. There's enough people here that do that already.

Only if their backs are up against the wall in the playoffs and they're desperate. Like last year, when they finally, mercifully inserted Splitter into the rotation.

I didn't say Bowens or Horrys. I'm talking about Greens and Neals. Just someone that doesn't go fetal in hostile environments and isn't afraid of the moment.

But I'm past sick and tired of the sloppy, panic play in crunch time on the road against elite teams. This is a big part of the reason why those teams clearly don't respect them, because even when they lose, they often feel like the Spurs just got lucky. They need to put their foot on these teams throats when they've got them down and send a message.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on this board focus more on post count than any board I've ever seen. Even though the moment I graced this board with my presence I was already on the short list of most knowledgeable posters, very few were willing to admit that. It was abundantly clear why.
    Your vanity only embellishes your idiocy of bumping this thread during a period, when the Spurs are performing in the top 3 of the NBA for an extended period of time despite personnel shortcomings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another pathetic, inexplicable effort. They're rested, at home and playing a beat up team, yet they find a way to lose. The game was there for the taking throughout, yet it was as if they didn't want it. Not a single guy treated this as if it were necessary to win down the stretch, which is confusing considering some of the teams they've got coming up at home and the fact that they have two back-to-back-to-backs not long after that.

Apparently they haven't taken a look at the standings and realized that the second seed is crucial, as there's six high quality teams in the West. The difference between getting the Lakers, Mavs or Grizzlies or the Rockets, Nuggets, Timberwolves or Trail Blazers, is huge.

The atrocious officiating and beyond atrocious use of the rotation by the genius didn't help matters, to be sure. But still. Jefferson, Bonner, Splitter and surprisingly Green, put force pathetic effort. They were beyond soft and were the reason this team once again got bludgeoned on the glass.

I've had it with the spotty effort of this team. They're not talented enough to think they can play in spurts. It's funny, the Bulls, a clearly superior team, don't do that, yet this team has the audacity to. What's worse is that only one of them plays relatively significant minutes, so there's not even a fatigue excuse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah no stops when they had to and faried laughing his ass off at the spurs front line

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah no stops when they had to and faried laughing his ass off at the spurs front line
    No key stops, no rebounding, no sense of direction or purpose on offense, questionable coaching move, one after another and some punk ass rookie running around laughing in their faces and getting away with it. Never mind putting him on his ass, not one guy appeared to even talk trash to him. Nothing. They just let him walk all over them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some punk ass rookie running around laughing in their faces and getting away with it. Never mind putting him on his ass, not one guy appeared to even talk trash to him. Nothing. They just let him walk all over them.
    I don't think anybody in this team is a gutless worm.
    But I have to say that pissed me off SO MUCH.

I mad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think anybody in this team is a gutless worm.
    But I have to say that pissed me off SO MUCH.

I mad.
    Yeah, same here. You'd think someone would nut up and do something about it. I mean, if you aren't going to talk , then ing show it in play. By play I mean the basics: boxing out, fighting for position when need be, even committing a hard foul so as not to allow the easy dunk.

If there is one thing I'm getting tired at is teams disrespecting us.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, same here. You'd think someone would nut up and do something about it. I mean, if you aren't going to talk , then ing show it in play. By play I mean the basics: boxing out, fighting for position when need be, even committing a hard foul so as not to allow the easy dunk.

If there is one thing I'm getting tired at is teams disrespecting us.
    You say that like it's possible. This team is overmatched athletically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I've had it with the spotty effort of this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another pathetic, inexplicable effort. They're rested, at home and playing a beat up team, yet they find a way to lose. The game was there for the taking throughout, yet it was as if they didn't want it. Not a single guy treated this as if it were necessary to win down the stretch, which is confusing considering some of the teams they've got coming up at home and the fact that they have two back-to-back-to-backs not long after that.

Apparently they haven't taken a look at the standings and realized that the second seed is crucial, as there's six high quality teams in the West. The difference between getting the Lakers, Mavs or Grizzlies or the Rockets, Nuggets, Timberwolves or Trail Blazers, is huge.

The atrocious officiating and beyond atrocious use of the rotation by the genius didn't help matters, to be sure. But still. Jefferson, Bonner, Splitter and surprisingly Green, put force pathetic effort. They were beyond soft and were the reason this team once again got bludgeoned on the glass.

I've had it with the spotty effort of this team. They're not talented enough to think they can play in spurts. It's funny, the Bulls, a clearly superior team, don't do that, yet this team has the audacity to. What's worse is that only one of them plays relatively significant minutes, so there's not even a fatigue excuse.
    +1

This thread unfortunately continues to build steam.

Seems like this spurs team is now stuck in 'forfeit' mode thanks to all of Pop's tinkering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No key stops, no rebounding, no sense of direction or purpose on offense, questionable coaching move, one after another and some punk ass rookie running around laughing in their faces and getting away with it. Never mind putting him on his ass, not one guy appeared to even talk trash to him. Nothing. They just let him walk all over them.
    This was smiling from ear to ear, with that long nappy ass hair. But we gotta remember we're the good ole boys that act 1st class. We never show to much emotion after a great play, an we pick up opposing team players prtr the floor when they fall. We the mutha in Spurs baby.

Thread Information