Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    This Warriors superteam and all the horrible contracts given out this summer don't happen if the owners got the cap smoothing they were asking for. Instead, because a few scrubs just had to chase that money now (which they'll waste on cars, strippers, and every deadbeat "friend" who comes up to them with their hand out), we're looking at another shortened season next time the CBA is up. Maybe even a full season off like the NHL a while back.

Can't blame it on the owners this time - a few greedy players simply ed over the rest of the league.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You got Gasol. Hush.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This Warriors superteam and all the horrible contracts given out this summer don't happen if the owners got the cap smoothing they were asking for. Instead, because a few scrubs just had to chase that money now (which they'll waste on cars, strippers, and every deadbeat "friend" who comes up to them with their hand out), we're looking at another shortened season next time the CBA is up. Maybe even a full season off like the NHL a while back.

Can't blame it on the owners this time - a few greedy players simply ed over the rest of the league.
    Chris Paul - President NBPA
    Lebron James - Vice President NBPA

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The owners won huge in the last lockout, dropping the player's share of BRI from 57% to 51%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the owners. Bunch of rich white guys getting richer off the backs of the working class.

Hope there is a revolution and NBA team ownership is ripped out of these got's hands and given to the taxpayers of the city.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    the owners. Bunch of rich white guys getting richer off the backs of the working class.

Hope there is a revolution and NBA team ownership is ripped out of these got's hands and given to the taxpayers of the city.
    Whites

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

That doesn't make some of the players any less greedy.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

Sounds like a great idea! Then the NBA can be as strong as our public school systems and infrastructure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a great idea! Then the NBA can be as strong as our public school systems and infrastructure.
    Your country is only as strong as it's people.

US must have some ty ass people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Couldn't agree more.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It'd be less of a drain on the tax payers if they owned the entire team rather than the current system where they have to subsidize the stadium/arena but don't get any of the revenue.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    OP melting down over a beta on the 4th of Jewly

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    It'd be less of a drain on the tax payers if they owned the entire team rather than the current system where they have to subsidize the stadium/arena but don't get any of the revenue.
    Taxpayers shouldn't even be paying for the stadiums, let alone paying to own entire teams.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Chris Paul - President NBPA
    Lebron James - Vice President NBPA

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Taxpayers shouldn't even be paying for the stadiums, let alone paying to own entire teams.
    They currently just subsidize the stadiums with no share of revenue. If they owned the entire team, they'd get the revenues/profits. Do you not understand how that works?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Meltdown Natin

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Personally, I don't think there should be any government involvement with professional sports (which is how things were before the 1980s when contracts began to explode), but the Green Bay Packers' model where the fans own the team is infinitely better than the Florida Marlins' model where a rich owner holds the city hostage for a new stadium.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    They currently just subsidize the stadiums with no share of revenue. If they owned the entire team, they'd get the revenues/profits. Do you not understand how that works?
    I get it, I just think the government should stay out of it entirely. I don't begrudge rich people for owning sports teams, they should just pay for their own stadiums or sell their teams to someone who can afford to.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I get it, I just think the government should stay out of it entirely. I don't begrudge rich people for owning sports teams, they should just pay for their own stadiums or sell their teams to someone who can afford to.

Personally, I blame the federal government for not putting an end to it. When rust belt cities that have been broke for ing decades (Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.) go into even more debt to provide hundreds of millions in subsidies to build a football stadium, the federal government should say "Hopefully you enjoy that stadium because we're cutting your city and its people completely off from all subsidies/programs/etc."

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Resident taxpayers generally no longer have to fund stadiums and arenas. Now those taxes are handed off to visitors via car rental and hotel taxes. Usually, this will add an extra $15-30 to their total expenditures for a trip or in other words, not a big deal at all. Genius move if you ask me, whoever came up with that idea literally deserves a medal.
    Last edited by Caltex2; 07-05-2016 at 02:44 AM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

What?!
    Players gonna ask for the moon ...
    Owners have no self control.
    ideally the money was supposed to be redistributed evenly amongst the middle class ...
    Instead smart players mediocre players like Parsons taking advantage of dumb owners willing to pay them LeBron money

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And now we have a bunch of non franchise guys like Conley making Durant and LeBron money. I still blame the owners the players just seek what the market will bear

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Resident taxpayers generally no longer have to fund stadiums and arenas. Now those taxes are handed off to visitors via car rental and hotel taxes. Usually, this will add an extra $15-30 to their total expenditures for a trip or in other words, not a big deal at all. Genius move if you ask me, whoever came up with that idea literally deserves a medal.
    So instead of the car rental/hotel tax going to public goods like new roads, better water treatment facilities, etc., it goes towards a new stadium so the local tax payers are paying more for infrastructure than they otherwise would be. That still sounds like a subsidy to me.

CN is right. The government shouldn't be involved, at all and at any level, with professional sports. It's a completely nonessential good the free market can effectively manage (and I'm by no stretch of the imagination a big believer in free market self regulation).

I also have a hard time believing cities like Baltimore and Cleveland (two cities with the most heavy stadium subsidies) are generating that much in tourism revenue. How many people do you know have ever taken a vacation to Baltimore?

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow blaming players for the extortion racket pro sports is with respect to stadium funding is beyond stupid.

1. The money that pays players is coming in based on EXISTING revenue from tv deals, digital rights, and merchandise. The cap is based on REVENUE.
    2. Players get roughly 51% of the revenue. How it is divided up amongst the players doesn't really matter. That 51% of revenue is going to the players.
    3. Contracts take two parties. Both the team/owner and the player have to agree on the contract terms.
    4. Stadium deals are between owners and the city / municipality they are in. Money saved / extorted from cities funding or partially funding arenas does't get reflected in the cap calculations. Players are not en led to any of that money.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Somehow blaming players for the extortion racket pro sports is with respect to stadium funding is beyond stupid.

1. The money that pays players is coming in based on EXISTING revenue from tv deals, digital rights, and merchandise. The cap is based on REVENUE.
    2. Players get roughly 51% of the revenue. How it is divided up amongst the players doesn't really matter. That 51% of revenue is going to the players.
    3. Contracts take two parties. Both the team/owner and the player have to agree on the contract terms.
    4. Stadium deals are between owners and the city / municipality they are in. Money saved / extorted from cities funding or partially funding arenas does't get reflected in the cap calculations. Players are not en led to any of that money.
    This ...

Thread Information